View Full Version : Studying Abroad with ADD and Meds

07-31-16, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone!!!

I just needed a little(a lot) of help because I'm really lost.

I'm 19 years old and next year, Fall(or summer) 2017 I'll be studying abroad for an entire year. 12 months.

I take Focalin xr 20mg for my ADD, i just dont understand how I would get my perscrption for those 12 months. I dont even have a clue how to bring it up to my doctor or how Japan (Host country) will even be about it.

Ive been searching and searching but I'm still so confused about everything. Like, hat paperwork does what and in what situation would I need other pieces of paperwork.

07-31-16, 03:49 PM
It's tricky.

I've traveled for months at a time, and was able to get special permission to obtain that much medication at one time by submitting a letter with my travel information to the insurance company and the pharmacy. I had to let them know in advance so that they'd approve the quantity of pills I needed and so that the pharmacy could order enough to cover the whole period.

I think Japan is more stringent about restricting stimulant medications than the places I traveled. Japan seems to look pretty unfavorably on amphetamines like Adderall. Methylphenidate may or may not be legal to import.

If it is, I don't know whether you would need to bring a year's worth of medication with you, or whether you might be able to arrange (perhaps with the help of the study abroad program and your doctor in the US) to have a Japanese doctor prescribe the medication to you while you're in Japan.

Here's the US Embassy in Japan's guidance for importing medication for personal use ( I would strongly recommend talking to them if you have questions about the legality of importation.

Good luck with the details, and safe and enriching travels!