View Full Version : If aliens ...

Gilthranon
07-31-16, 03:50 PM
If they are tech advanced enough to breach scientific limits to actually reach us they have A evolved more over more time B more intelligent (what do we do with our intelligence ? look for communication, not destruction, so could they) C higher artillery capacity in other words no more war then between an ant and human without happy ending. Unlikely for we are one life form of billions on a single planet to evolve like this. No Hollywood movie where they are just a bit more advanced. Which is in all scenarios not logic

If they are so intelligent, what chances for them to have a similar thinking pattern to develop a similar society that brings to similar development and result in spacecraft ?

If they exist, ignoring possibility them being on this planet in forms we have yet to discover, they could be in forms we have yet to recognize as 'life'. No action film, rather thriller. Say we go to a planet, what are the chances to walk into one without recognizing it ?

Different gravity, chemicals, radiation, chemicals, evolution, substances, temperatures, ecosystem...

If they meet us, against all odds of infinite amount of planets around as we are looking for them as well as far as possible, what would make our planet so special for them to want to invade ? If they are so intelligent they are apparently self sufficient and also we are simpler in comparison to them so not much to offer, again.

If they end up here by accident on a meteor or such (destroying all odd and logic) and as simpler lifeforms and just 'go their way' - extermination of many species including theirs or A bacteria B no food for them C god-knows-what-they-bring-from-outer-space-that-could-kill-anything-here. In other words, the planet would be unbalanced, infected, maybe overspread by them, or they'd die within seconds in any way again, no Hollywood material.

Except thriller without happy ending ...

Little Missy
07-31-16, 03:54 PM
Like Day of the Triffids. :eek:

Fuzzy12
07-31-16, 03:59 PM
"It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives, but the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated.

For instance, a human (see Earth) named Arthur Dent who, because of a Vogon Constructor Fleet, was one of the last two humans in the Universe at the time, once said "I seem to be having trmendous difficulty with my lifestyle."

At the very moment that Arthur said this, a freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space-time continuum and carried his words far far back in time across almost infinite reaches of space to a distant Galaxy where strange and warlike beings were poised on the brink of frightful interstellar battle.

The two opposing leaders were meeting for the last time.
A dreadful silence fell across the conference table as the commander of the Vl'Hurgs, resplendent in his black jewelled battle shorts, gazed levelly at the the G'Gugvuntt leader squatting opposite him in a cloud of green sweet-smelling steam, and, with a million sleek and horribly beweaponed star cruisers poised to unleash electric death at his single word of command, challenged the vile creature to take back what it had said about his mother.

The creature stirred in his sickly broiling vapour, and at that very moment the words I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle drifted across the conference table. Unfortunately, in the Vl'Hurg tongue this was the most dreadful insult imaginable, and there was nothing for it but to wage terrible war for centuries.

Eventually of course, after their Galaxy had been decimated over a few thousand years, it was realized that the whole thing had been a ghastly mistake, and so the two opposing battle fleets settled their few remaining differences in order to launch a joint attack on our own Galaxy - now positively identified as the source of the offending remark.

For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across - which happened to be the Earth - where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

Those who study the complex interplay of cause and effect in the history of the Universe say that this sort of thing is going on all the time, but that we are powerless to prevent it.
"It's just life," they say."

(Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy)

Gilthranon
07-31-16, 04:00 PM
There has to be a very advanced species. This sounds like a certainty. And it probably is. But some idiots things there must be billions of them. Except here is the thing..there doesn't just have to be a planet capable of intelligent life. There has to be one that is capable of intelligent life for millions of years without any ELE events. Here on Earth, we are EXTREMELY lucky. WE not only have the right conditions for life..but we have a GIANT protector (Jupiter.) nearby catching most giant asteroids that could wipe out all life on our planet. And yet we STILL have had multiple ELE events in the short history of our planet. Without Jupiter sucking so many asteroids into its gravity and keeping them away from the Earth, human beings would not exist.

Suddenly, the number of planes with super intelligent life goes WAY down. Now...let's say here are still some. They would have to be SO advanced hat they just randomly go planet hopping. Because to any other intelligent life, the Earth is a dark planet with NOTHING to offer. Before you embarrass yourself about all the radio waves we have been sending out...realize that first of all, we have only been doing so for about 75 years. That already limited the number of possible life bearing planets that could see them. But forget about that. Because after just 15 or so light years (Which is shorter than ANY life bearing planet is to the Earth) our radio waves degrade into basically nothing. Completely indistinguishable from the background radiation of the universe. In other words...nobody is seeing any signals coming from Earth.

- not my text but interesting

midnightstar
07-31-16, 05:24 PM
I reckon aliens do exist but they are so far away from this planet it would be impossible for them to ever get here in any of their lifetimes.

That's if they even know we're here.

Little Missy
07-31-16, 06:07 PM
They are already here. And they walk among us.

midnightstar
07-31-16, 06:12 PM
They are already here. And they walk among us.

:eek: they better not be anywhere near me :faint:

C15H25N3O
09-06-16, 05:09 AM
What are your meds? I also wanna meet the aliens. :-)

sarek
09-06-16, 05:31 AM
The problem is not whether there are any aliens out there. The real problem is why we have not received irrefutable proof of their presence.

The number of life sustaining planets in the galaxy is enormous. It takes a heroic effort to devise a reasoning to limit the actual number of inhabited planets to only one ( ours ) . Much more likely is that there are millions of inhabited planets in this galaxy.

Space travel is easily solved. Even if the lightspeed barrier were to prove insurmountable, its easy to create modes of travel to enable a species to reach other planetary systems.
Even if only a single civilisation has chosen to do so, and even assuming they are a 100 thousand lightyears away, with modest technological capability they can get here in no more than a million years. Do not forget our own planet is thousands of times older than that.

So the question really has to be: why are we not obviously seeing them?

That is my "official"answer to the question, based on what everyone can know given our scientific knowledge.
I have to add that to assume that our scientists can put limits on what may be possible for ET's is absurd. We have not yet the faintest idea of the true nature of our reality, which is much, much bigger than our physical universe.

My unofficial answer which I can not yet, unfortunately, prove to you has to be what Little Missy already said.
They are already here and they walk among us. They have been here since before there was even life on Earth.

C15H25N3O
09-06-16, 06:50 AM
I feel like an alien sometimes. Mention there was no ADHD but an alien induced ...

Bluechoo
09-06-16, 08:45 AM
Go back far enough and you find our ancestors started as pieces of organic compounds, sugars, that looked like the components of our DNA. They linked up to eachother in ways that allowed them to retain their identity: only several variants paired correctly, so that clusters would be able to form complementary clusters, and the specific order that they managed to link up in was preserved. They grew more complex, and eventually found combinations of linkages that allowed them to find other combinations that were smaller and engulf them, consume them, break them down and use their parts to grow bigger and engulf yet bigger strains. These are the original replicators.

The components making up these original replicators could have formed in several ways. Random reactions could have formed them. A likely scenario is that they landed on this planet by accident, as debris leftover from exploding stars and the big bang event.

In a sense, we may be extra-terrestrial; our ancestors came from elsewhere in the universe. I see it like this: the big bang is like a buck-shot that sprays 360 degrees, shooting out fragments of organic compounds that form the building blocks of life. It sprays in every direction; eventually an adequate target is dusted with a bit of our DNA ancestors, and life happens after a billion years or so. I would feel silly to assume our planet is the only one that provided a good platform for growth.

SB_UK
09-06-16, 03:57 PM
Can't get this song out of my head

If aliens ...
were the only girl in the world and you were the only boy.

I think that happened in one of the Alien movies didn't it ?

Almost immediately after being born, the Newborn turned on the Queen, tearing off the front of her head with its bare hands;

Ho hum ... ... doesn't bode well for UK's monarchy in the presence of emergence of the ADDer hybrid brood.