View Full Version : Stopped taking Strattera and want to start again

jfc872
08-01-16, 04:11 PM
About a year or so ago, I switched from stimulants to Strattera. I started with a gradual titration process and reached my target dose of 80 mg/day (which I ultimately took in two 40 mg doses). I stopped taking it after a few months of the target dose because of the price of the medicine. Thankfully, I can now afford Strattera and I'm starting school in a few weeks and would like to go back on it. I'm wondering the best way to go about this because the psychiatrist I had been seeing retired, so I found a new one and he recommended that I start with 40 mg once a day for two weeks, and then go back to taking 40 mg twice a day. Is this a suitable titration process?

extrabatteries
08-01-16, 06:12 PM
Strattera takes 4-6 weeks to build up in the body, and upwards of 8-12 weeks to reach peek effectiveness. There is no way to rush this buildup. Starting at 40mg is a high starting dose and is only likely to give you harsh side effects. Strattera has starter kits that slowly ramp up the doses. My doctor didn't use these, he just prescribed 25mg increments.

The reason your doctor may be starting you on 40mg and bumping to 40mg twice is likely for affordability. My insurance was able to cover titration using 25mg increments until I reacher 100mg.

Looking at my receipt, it would have been over $1400 every 4 weeks in order to do this. Some insurance will only cover single dosage pills. Is this the case for yours?

jfc872
08-03-16, 10:48 PM
Strattera takes 4-6 weeks to build up in the body, and upwards of 8-12 weeks to reach peek effectiveness. There is no way to rush this buildup. Starting at 40mg is a high starting dose and is only likely to give you harsh side effects. Strattera has starter kits that slowly ramp up the doses. My doctor didn't use these, he just prescribed 25mg increments.

The reason your doctor may be starting you on 40mg and bumping to 40mg twice is likely for affordability. My insurance was able to cover titration using 25mg increments until I reacher 100mg.

Looking at my receipt, it would have been over $1400 every 4 weeks in order to do this. Some insurance will only cover single dosage pills. Is this the case for yours?

After checking with my insurance company, yes it's a similar case for me. I don't think I can afford the starter pack but I can afford 40 mg prescriptions. How bad would it be to take my dr's advice and start with 40 before upping it to 80?

extrabatteries
08-05-16, 01:59 AM
I can't imagine it would be all that bad. My side effects were the worst the first day of bumping, and then dropped off really fast the days after. Even if they was twice as bad, it would still be tolerable. How was it your first go around? Some people get much worse side effects, some have none at all.

spamspambacon
08-05-16, 11:10 AM
I just switched from Adderall to Straterra in May. I started with 40mg first week, then went up to 80mg.

Had ZERO side effects.
None.

I found this on drugs.com:
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/atomoxetine.html

Usual Adult Dose for Attention Deficit Disorder

-Initial Dose: 40 mg/day orally.
-Maintenance Dose: Increase dose to 80 mg/day orally after a minimum of 3 days at the initial dose.
-Maximum Dose: After 2 to 4 additional weeks, the dose may be increased up to 100 mg/day in patients who have not achieved an optimal response.

Comments: Take dose once a day in the morning OR as evenly divided doses in the morning and late afternoon/early evening.

Use: Treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
And I found this on Straterra.com
(the official site for the Straterra brand name medication)

https://voucher.strattera.com/savings_card/adult.cfm