View Full Version : Consequences? What? How?

Erin318
08-01-16, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and ADHD. I have been having ADHD since a child which was undiagnosed until 2 years ago, ( I am now in my 40"s). Now my son, soon to be 6 has been diagnosed as well.

What do you do when your child that has ADHD is in a rage, throws things, screams and calls you names? How do you handle the situation? In a previous post there was an article stating to impose consequences within 5sec of the behavior. What kind of consequences and how can I help my son cope with his rages?

Thank you so much!!

Lunacie
08-01-16, 05:24 PM
This info was very helpful when my grandkids were younger:

ADHD Children and Point of Performance and External Consequences (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=663516&postcount=1)

There is a lot of really helpful info saved in the sticky threads at the top of the parenting forum here. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)

I also learned some very helpful tips reading the Love and Logic series of books. Google them and see if your library has copies you can borrow.

sarahsweets
08-02-16, 04:40 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and ADHD. I have been having ADHD since a child which was undiagnosed until 2 years ago, ( I am now in my 40"s). Now my son, soon to be 6 has been diagnosed as well.

What do you do when your child that has ADHD is in a rage, throws things, screams and calls you names? How do you handle the situation? In a previous post there was an article stating to impose consequences within 5sec of the behavior. What kind of consequences and how can I help my son cope with his rages?

Thank you so much!!

Before you even get to the consequences stage..how are you rewarding him for good behavior?

Lunacie
08-02-16, 09:19 AM
Before you even get to the consequences stage..how are you rewarding him for good behavior?

That is one I struggle with myself. For some reason last week I had an "ah ha!" moment.

My granddaughter was not speaking to anyone, she looks sullen but I know it's really the autism and sensory overload.

My go-to reaction is to pretend to pout because she won't talk to me. But this time I just stayed quiet during the 30 minute drive across town to day camp.

When we got there, I opened her door and said bye-bye. She said it back and I smiled at her and said "Thanks for talking to me." :D

I don't know about her, but I haven't felt nearly so tense about the times when she doesn't (or can't) seem to communicate with me.