View Full Version : The Pokemon Go thing

excelsior
08-02-16, 05:55 PM
Do you think it's a boon or a bane? I've accompanied my friend's grandson on several pokehunts, and I remember thinking, this could be good or this could be bad for kids with A.D.H.D. The good points are interaction, exercise, and the challenge.

The bad points of course are, if a kid is, for example, on a bike, THE ROAD AHEAD is his/her 1st priority, not Pikachu! Then again, that's the inherent danger of normal play.

btw, anyone up on Pokemon? I've gotta bone up for next time.

dadtruth
08-03-16, 03:48 AM
The Pokemon GO has gone crazy everyone is on it world wide... as for your friend's grandson as long as you have an eye on him and he is amused then i don't see there being a problem it keeps him relaxed ish

Caco3girl
08-03-16, 07:54 AM
I don't like it. It's hard enough for ADHD kid to focus on the here and now without throwing invisible pokemons in the mix.

sarahsweets
08-03-16, 09:15 AM
Pokemon is stupid. Kids need to get their noses out of their phones. Our family Geocache's. Thats way more engaging, gets you out in nature and offers a fun, tangible reward for every single thing you find. Same general premise as Pokemon except without all of the nintendo crap, or worried you will be hunting around in someone's backyard.

Unmanagable
08-03-16, 10:15 AM
I'm extremely old school in my ways, and in being so, I'm often discounted as being negative nancy in my opinions. So be it. Get off my lawn!!!!!!!! lmao

I dislike it very much and see it as yet another useless distraction to rob us of consciousness and awareness of things that could actually healthily nurture self and nature.

I'm saddened that it takes technology of any sort to peak the interest of people to get out into nature.

Nature and technology both have their place, but to me, it feels a bit like nature is being violated even more than usual by the mindlessness of having to follow along with an external device of some sort in hopes of "finding" anything to enjoy what's already so complete and pleasurable, and that which has been nurturing us all along, when we allow it.

BellaVita
08-03-16, 06:08 PM
I don't do the Pokemon Go thing, I think it's silly to walk around with your face in your phone. Plus I might run into a pole.

I'm sure others enjoy it, though. Just not my thing.

I wonder how long this trend will last.

Little Missy
08-03-16, 06:40 PM
I hate the way Pokémon looks.

stef
08-04-16, 06:12 AM
I have mixed feelings about it;

That had all just come out when my son was young and someone gave him a poster with small images of all the pokemons and he decided to "draw them all" which was kind of sweet i thought, and well it kept him busy doing something nice. This must have been during some school vacation.

If a parent has a near middle school or middle school kid who NEVER wants to go outside, well theres a solution even if it originates from a game you may thouroughly dislike.
also a young adult who loves the game might "discover" some interesting areas of the city and some ideas for outings. (park, museum, restaurant).

at the same time, well the whole concept is really kind of ridicoulous!

ADHDWife&Mom
08-10-16, 01:27 AM
My son loves Pokemon. He is 10 and collects the cards (although he doesnt play the card game) when he was 8 he loved the video games but has since moved on from them. We arent big on video games, he is only allowed to play on the weekends so he cant really become too obsessed with them.

We do play Pokemon Go BUT it is on my phone because he doesnt have a phone and his ipod only gets wifi so he cant really play the game out in the world where most of the play happens. We play together when we happen to think about it if we are out and have some spare time. Its kind of fun but it actually gets annoying pretty quickly. The game totally drains the battery and if you minimize it to do anything it stops the game so you no longer get alerted to things in the game. Im not going to walk around for hours draining my battery to see if there are pokemon around.

I dont think its a great idea for those who are out playing the game themselves with ADHD. I can totally see how one might feel the need to catch one while driving or some other important task. Then again, Im pretty terrified at the idea of ever letting my son drive in the future so Im not sure if I can be objective.

Corina86
08-10-16, 07:29 AM
Personally I love Pokemon Go. I love walking around and now I have another reason to do it. It does help to keep you fit, especially if you're not much into sports. And I'm not, due to my fear of competition and lousy coordination. It's also a little more social than most computer/phone games. I really really hate when people call these things "dumb", because the whole point of games it for them to be mindless non-stressful fun. I'm starting to hate the idea that 1. You must be focued at all time, even if there's nothing interesting around you and 2. You have to be social all the time, especially in public. You can't just be by yourself with your own thoughts and not look "dumb". The biggest downside is that you need money to play this game. I don't know how many parents can aford smartphones and mobile data for their kids- I know I couldn't if I had kids. It also drains your battery badly. As for whether or not it's dangerous, I guess it depends both on the owner and the area where they live. I guess it's better to test the ground and see how the kid behaves in public with this. Also, if everyone else is doing something and only one kid in class isn't allowed by his/her parents, guess who's the next social outcast...

stef
08-10-16, 08:23 AM
Thanks Corina,
I've completely changed my mind about this. I dont particularly want to play myself, but I think the concept is excellent. I would have happily brought my son to hunt them in the big park that was by our old apartment (and probably gotten quite into it, and received strange looks from other moms).

Corina86
08-10-16, 04:15 PM
Thanks Corina,
I've completely changed my mind about this. I dont particularly want to play myself, but I think the concept is excellent. I would have happily brought my son to hunt them in the big park that was by our old apartment (and probably gotten quite into it, and received strange looks from other moms).

It can be quite a great family activity. My brother and sister-in-law are both playing and now I have a reason to ask them out with me- something we never did before. Some coworkers are playing this too, but they don't want to go pokemon hunting with me for some reason. My nieces have no interest in this though. The 5 year old lacks the coordination and patience to play and the 8 year old lacks the patience. They'd both rather play with other kids when they have the chance and only care about my phone when they're really bored (pretty much every time they're with me).