View Full Version : Anyone originally diagnosed with an anxiety disorder?

Snoopy10
08-04-16, 08:55 AM
Has anyone out there originally been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and then later been diagnosed with ADHD?

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in my 20s and then diagnosed with ADHD at 43 only because I had situational depression and my doctor prescribed Adderall (I had tried and failed with literally every SSRI and SNRI out there over 15 years) and it worked like a charm. I'm now off clonopin and only take Adderall. So the diagnosis has to be correct, right?

I'm just feeling insecure right now because I took on a bit too much work wise (I have 3 different clients and 50+ hours of work a week) and why would I possibly feel overwhelmed? :) best to start questioning myself, right?? Ha ha.

spamspambacon
08-04-16, 11:44 AM
Has anyone out there originally been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and then later been diagnosed with ADHD?

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in my 20s and then diagnosed with ADHD at 43 only because I had situational depression and my doctor prescribed Adderall (I had tried and failed with literally every SSRI and SNRI out there over 15 years) and it worked like a charm. I'm now off clonopin and only take Adderall. So the diagnosis has to be correct, right?

I'm just feeling insecure right now because I took on a bit too much work wise (I have 3 different clients and 50+ hours of work a week) and why would I possibly feel overwhelmed? :) best to start questioning myself, right?? Ha ha.

Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.

I recently posted how I was diagnosed.
I have to go dig around for that thread now...

Found!
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179130

julialouise
08-04-16, 11:54 AM
I was originally diagnosed with anxiety/depression by my general family doctor (lol). But I always knew my symptoms didn't really line up with general anxiety because my anxieties were based on big thoughts and ideas spiraling out of control, not little things throughout the day that made me feel insecure. I was prescribed 20mg of Viibryd, and I recently stopped taking it (without my doc's knowledge). However, I've been a little bit more motivated since I stopped. I'm hopefully going to receive my ADHD diagnosis this month, and I'll start on a new medication. I'm looking at Wellbutrin, to help with the depression that I do experience, as well as the ADHD symptoms, which I believe are primarily Combined or Inattentive.

Lunacie
08-04-16, 01:54 PM
I was diagnosed with Depression at the age of 25. No mention of Anxiety or ADHD, but I knew there was something else going on.

At the age of 40 the same doctor told me I should be taking Prozac. His nurse said I was depressed because I was just turning 40. I didn't care about age.

At the age of 53 a friend suggested my granddaughter had ADHD. I began reading about it and I knew that was the answer for both of us.

As I kept reading, I realized my "worry" nature was actually Anxiety Disorder.

When I started seeing a therapist for the Depression and Anxiety, she told me she thought I had Bipolar, same thing a therapist had said about my younger grandchild who is Autistic.

The psychiatrist read her notes and was willing to prescribe meds for the Anxiety, but not willing to diagnose ADHD.

We have so many people on my mom's side of the family with ADHD and Anxiety and Depression ... and no one with Bipolar.

Gah ... doctors! :doh:

Dachshund
08-04-16, 02:40 PM
For a long time, I was diagnosed as bipolar with anxiety disorder. I was severely depressed at the time, and the antidepressants helped a lot, but my psychiatrist took my ADHD symptoms as mild mania. I spent nearly a decade on and off antidepressants and mood stabilizers, but the stabilizers never seemed to do much. Some of them just felt like expensive tranquilizers. I never really felt truly bipolar -almost like I was a bipolar fraud- but I never had a better explanation until my primary care came out and said that I was ADHD.

I was on Klonopin for a little bit. That really helped a chunk of my anxiety. But when I changed psych doctors, the new one took me off of it, because she found it addictive in most people. Didn't matter that it worked and I was on a low dose.

JulesT81
08-04-16, 03:41 PM
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety an eating disorder, OCD and possible bipolar but medication Luvox and xyprexa didn't hit the spot except I was sedated and put on weight. One day I convinced my doctor to prescribe me Duromine for eight loss in my eating disorder haze. After taking the first dose, it was like the lights had been turned on for the first time in my life. After a review my psych prescribed me a short acting dexamphetamine. Since I've been on and off meds between kids and life is a lot calmer and more manageable. I got diagnosed at 28

Rockkso
08-11-16, 03:06 PM

Oh, definitely. This was my experience and I think it's very common. I developed panic disorder in my early 20's and then in my early 30's was diagnosed with ADHD. It's very common to have anxiety disorders alongside ADHD.

jiitters
08-11-16, 04:25 PM
yes. my pysch back in the day diagnosed me with depression/anxiety as a young teen, specifically social anxiety, and everything he prescribed me during the years that i saw him just made my state even worse. i don't really trust pdocs enough anymore to return to one to start a more appropriate treatment though :/ i think i was definitely depressed but mostly as a result of my failure to understand what was wrong with me

Greendragon
08-14-16, 12:45 AM
Absolutely, was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder about 10 years ago suffered with depression for a very long time, four years ago I was diagnosed as bipolar but that wasn't quite right then I had a very serious brain injury last year and now they've diagnosed me as bipolar with mostly ADHD.

Linka32
08-29-16, 11:27 PM

I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), or perhaps it was just an easy way to bill for my diagnosis? (there are certain codes associated with diagnoses that the doctor will enter in the system). He was some hollistic kinda guy that also told me how important it is to spend time with husband etc.:confused:
I have noticed how I always lost my keys, drivers's licence, had trouble studying and was not able to pin-point why. One of my best friends told me "Just focus, how hard can it be?" and that's when I old her "It's not that easy for me".When I had my first job with a degree, I realized how I was able to pick up somebody else's chart and would constantly inverse numbers etc. I went on a forum where somebody had the same issues as I and a person's answer was "maybe you have ADD". That night was a very long night for me.
I was in denial for a long time. Fast forward 3 years and now I got a high stress job (I am the type that is stimulated by learning more and am ambitious generally speaking, so I will not leave a career because of stress). I am in my 3rd week of Adderall 20mg, and I am finally calm inside even if crap hits the fan. My coworkers now think I am in a better mood!! Little do they know, my thoughts are now actually constructive and not all over the place

TheFitFatty
08-30-16, 02:31 AM
I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at 19, but I always knew it didn't fit. I suspected that I was maybe bi-polar, but a diagnosis of ADHD at 35 made much more sense.

Joker_Girl
09-05-16, 01:17 PM
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in early adulthood.
I was diagnosed with adhd in my early 30s.
Anxiety meds such as Xanax or Ativan tend to make me MORE anxious, because I feel like I am in a sleepy fog that I can't escape, and that I can't think. Then I get worked up.
I definitely have anxiety, but my main issues are depression and adhd imo. I suffer from both of these pretty equally. Everything else (anxiety, avoidant behavior, attachment issues, probably mild ocd, whatever else is psychologically wrong with me) is secondary to the big 2 lol.

Wuvmy3kitties
09-12-16, 01:06 PM
I am new here, but I have ADHD, which was diagnosed at age 13, and AvPD (Avoidant Personality Disorder), which hasn't been dx'ed. Based on my childhood and my behaviors, I believe I have it.

ATM, I only take natural remedies for the ADHD, but really don't know how to treat AvPD. I see a psychiatrist, but he doesn't believe in ADHD or ADD. I don't have a car, so finding a counselor who will treat me without charging a fortune has been impossible.

RjoyD1
09-14-16, 06:18 PM

Yes, they tried diagnosing me as bipolar (I've never been hyper in my life), they had me diagnosed with depression - and I was depressed, but not not because of depression, :lol: - also I was diagnosed with GAD, which I believe I do have, but noticed that while I was briefly on concerta (good for my anxiety, to many side effects) that I wasn't anxious at all.

Finally,recently, I was given a pretty full evaluation by a psychologist; he did the computer assessment as well as had me and my husband fill out evaluation forms. He deemed me ADHD primarily inattentive .... I finally feel like somebody actually finally listened to me. :)

blu3eyedblondee
10-10-16, 10:12 AM
I'm 26. I've been getting panic attacks since I was in elementary school. I got fired from a job after college because my supervisor was "concerned about my mental stability," but this was before I was diagnosed with anything. I've been diagnosed with anxiety (at 23), major depression (at 25), and OCD (at 26). I'm on Cymbalta, gabapentin, vistaril (for anxiety). I also have chronic fatigue and chronic pain. From my research, though, it looks more like textbook inattentive ADHD. I can't help but wonder if an ADD medication could help everything.