View Full Version : Workplace advice sought

Radio Hiker
08-06-16, 04:44 AM
I'll try to keep this simple.

First, I want to say thanks to those who offered me sincere advice in the "Restrictions are being placed on me" thread. It definitely proved helpful.

So here's my concern. Last night I found out that, over a week ago, my boss shared a fairly important piece of information with one of our cleaners that he has not shared with me. This piece of information is that his mother and stepfather are returning to our area to live, and are going to be rejoining the business in a more active role, trying to expand it. For the past year or so, I have been my boss's "right hand man". However, his mother has had "issues" with me since right after I was hired. I'm trying not to be paranoid here, but for the life of me I can't figure out why my boss would not have shared this information with me, but would share it with a lower level employee. It is worth noting that the employee with whom my boss shared this information was hired away from another building maintenance company where he did essentially the same job I do for this company.

Up until a few weeks ago, my boss was talking about how he wanted to make me the general manager of the company once the budget supports it. But if his stepdad returns to the company to help run the business, I have a hard time seeing where they would need a general manager, as the stepfather could easily fill this role. Also, if his mom returns to the business in a more direct role, that may pose some problems for me. As I already said, she has had issues with how I do things--even though my boss (her son) actually likes what I do. His mom is also known to be a micromanager. My predecessor, who still helps out part-time as a regular cleaner, has told me of his experiences with her, which were not very pleasant. ~~edited to add: I don't do well with micromanaging supervisors. At my last job, where I was with the company for over 7 years, I had an insufferable micromanaging boss, and after I had been there 6 years, I gave him an ultimatum--either back off and let me do my job, or find someone to replace me. He backed off. But in that case, I had built up a long record of excellent work (the bosses wanted to make me the Service Manager of the branch) and a reputation for not complaining over every little thing--to the point that when I did complain about something, management listened.

Tomorrow I am doing some work with my boss, and I am going to ask him some casual questions that will give him the opportunity to share with me the same information that he shared with the other employee a week ago. I already have some ideas for questions, but if you have any you would like to suggest, please feel free. My next steps will depend on whether or not he chooses to share information with me about the return of his mother and stepfather to the company in a more direct role.

Anyway, I'm not freaking out here, just trying to be prepared. I have a lot on the line. I have a wife to care for who suffers from clinical depression and is unable to work, so I cannot afford to be oblivious to issues in the workplace that could potentially damage my ability to make a living.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

~RH~

DJ Bill
08-06-16, 10:33 AM
Best of luck....time to start looking around by the sounds of it. Just don't say anything you'll regret later. It is really hard to erase words in peoples memories, I have found.

Little Missy
08-06-16, 12:33 PM
My advice is don't ask, don't act like you know and just act normal and work hard and stay out of the loop of talk.

Radio Hiker
08-07-16, 02:55 AM
So I worked with my boss for a few hours today. He didn't mention anything about the upcoming change in the management dynamic that he had shared with the other employee over a week ago. I also didn't ask about it. However we did talk a lot and the flow of conversation and subject matter did give him plenty of opportunities to tell me about what is coming. At some points in our conversation it would have totally made sense for him to tell me. The only conclusion I can come to at this point is that my boss doesn't want me to know.

I am now thinking that DJ Bill has the right idea about starting to look for another job.

Little Missy
08-07-16, 04:45 AM
Maybe what you think he doesn't want you to know is not anything you actually need to know.

stef
08-07-16, 04:48 AM
Maybe he feels bad about the situation, himself.

Radio Hiker
08-08-16, 03:15 AM
Maybe what you think he doesn't want you to know is not anything you actually need to know.

I can see your point, but then that raises the question of why my boss chose to tell the other employee about the return of his mom and stepdad to a more direct role in the business and why he is apparently choosing not to tell me? That other employee, up until very recently, was a production manager for a competing company.

Radio Hiker
08-08-16, 03:20 AM
Maybe he feels bad about the situation, himself.

I can believe this. I know I would too, were our roles reversed--but not as bad as I'm going to feel if I'm let go from this job:(