View Full Version : Do you need help to get to sleep?

Radio Hiker
08-06-16, 05:05 AM
I do.

In my job as a production supervisor for a building maintenance company, I am often up all night. I usually start work around 4 or 5 pm, and due to sick calls, I will often work until 4 am the following morning. When I get home, between 4 and 5 am, I am usually still wired enough that I can't get to sleep right away. Sometimes it's so bad that I'll take a shot of Nyquil--not in the little medicine cup they provide on the bottle--but in an actual shot glass. Even with that, I often need some tranquil sounds to help me get to sleep. I usually use my iPad with earbuds and play some ocean sounds or rain sounds on the Google Music app.

So, what do you use to calm down and get to sleep?

DJ Bill
08-06-16, 10:31 AM
1. A regular schedule
2. Trazadone is my night time friend.
3. I don't care how much it pay, I won't do night work anymore. It isn't natural and you have to fight to get to sleep in the daytime.
4. My bro that did shift work for 20 years (rotating, no less) had to have a completely dark, cool room to get the sleep he needed.
5. It might be worth checking out sleep hygiene on Google.

Best of luck!

Little Nut
08-07-16, 01:00 PM
It was never a routine thing for me, but some days due to workload, events, stress level, I would end the day with being "tense", for lack of better word, and would have difficulty ending the day. A meal, a few glasses of wine with casual conversation or casual television always seemed to help in most cases. Currently this happens much less often and involves a trip to the local bar, a COUPLE of drinks, and conversation/couple games of pool. If you try the latter, just watch your drinking. HTH, -LN

PS in Louisiana there were places to do this at 7AM.

ADDBill
08-08-16, 04:30 PM
Never have had trouble sleeping really. I do have a script for Ambien which I break in half. Just had to ask my Doc to get the script refilled and he said it had been 4 years since the last script so even broken in half that is just 40 doses in 4 years.