View Full Version : Adderall increasing hyperactivity

ADHDWife&Mom
08-07-16, 12:00 AM
Anyone have experience with Adderall XR causing an increase in hyperactivity? My ADHD husband (who doesnt take meds) says that if the dosage is off it can cause this. Im wondering if this is a dosage thing or if we should try a ritalin variety instead.

He tried Adderall XR 5mg first and we saw no effects that we could tell except I did notice that he seemed a bit more hyper. Now its the end of summer vacation and he gets bored and I thought maybe it was just that. We increased to 10mg after a week. He again has no noticeable effects except that he did actually seem exceptionally hyper. He is a hyper kid and has always been this way and some days more so than others but it really does seem like the last few days have been more hyper than usual. I would say this level of hyperactivity would be more like a once a week thing and its been for about 3 days in a row and all of those days have been on 10mg of Adderall XR.

So Im wondering, is it a great idea to increase again hoping to find the right dosage that will calm and focus him. Or would it be better to try a different med instead? This is the only one he has tried so far.

We will talk to his doc about this of course but he wants us to wait until after school starts because he is not doing anything mentally challenging during the summer. He reads ALL the time but he has done this for years without a problem focusing. Its pretty much his only educational activity that he doesnt have trouble focusing on (as long as its a book he has chosen and he is interested in).

Cyllya
08-07-16, 06:15 AM
Adderall side effects can include "restlessness," which I guess is pretty much the same thing as hyperactivity. (Some overlap in anxiety and tics, also.)

If it's causing him bad side effects, it makes sense to try a different drug. If it's just a minor nuisance, it might be worth toughing it out.

Are there any other activities he likes to do (or that you require him to do regardless) where you can see the results of working memory or attention impairments? Maybe, how long it takes him to read a book? I know it's hard to measure this sort of thing from the outside looking in, and he probably hates doing most things where ADHD symptoms impact his performance.

ADHDWife&Mom
08-07-16, 09:00 PM
Adderall side effects can include "restlessness," which I guess is pretty much the same thing as hyperactivity. (Some overlap in anxiety and tics, also.)

If it's causing him bad side effects, it makes sense to try a different drug. If it's just a minor nuisance, it might be worth toughing it out.

Are there any other activities he likes to do (or that you require him to do regardless) where you can see the results of working memory or attention impairments? Maybe, how long it takes him to read a book? I know it's hard to measure this sort of thing from the outside looking in, and he probably hates doing most things where ADHD symptoms impact his performance.

This is what Im thinking too. Im going to talk with the doctor about it for sure but we have to wait a couple of weeks before he will change anything unless it gets really bad.
He is required to do karate which he loves once he gets there but we always have to force him to go each time. I actually usually drop him off there because its hard to entertain my smaller child when there is nothing for her to do there. Maybe I'll go and watch this week and see how he is doing. I usually watch a few times a month just not the 3 times a week he goes.
As for the books, his speed usually has to do with how difficult it is to read and how into it he is. For example, he has read some of the Eragon series which is young adult and the books are huge with small print. He loved it but it took him a good two months to get through one of the books. Then this month he has breezed through 4 of James Patterson's Treasure Hunters books which are smaller and have larger print. I think those are aimed towards middle school kids but he is 10. It took him less than a week to read each book. And this month has been the month he has been trying the meds as well. The first book (week 1) he had no meds, the second book (week 2) he had 5mg, the third book (week 3) he had 5mg for the first half of the week and 10mg for the second half of the week, this last fourth book (week 4) he was on 10mg. He didnt seem to read them at any different speed. He carries the books around with him and reads whenever he has nothing else to do. He also often hops back and forth between books. He'll have one started but he gets a new book and there is no way he can wait to read it (unless its part of the same series) and he will hop over to another series and then go back and forth. Somehow he can read both without getting confused (his dad does this too).