srinin
08-07-16, 04:52 AM
My son:
13 years old
Will go to 8th grade
Fully inclusion setting in public school with limited support from aide
Has aspergers & ADHD.

Issues he has are: attention span, sensory, emotional control

He has been on ADHD medication (Concerta 27mg) from the past 18 months. Medication game him some stability. We noticed some side effects: Weight loss, Taking breathing more explicitly, Less socialization, More anxiety.

Due to the side effects with allopathic medicine, we wanted to start supplements. We consulted a Registered Dietitian, she suggested the following supplements:
Nature's Way EFA Blend for Children, 120 Softgels.
Magnesium
Probiotics (ABx Support veg caps)

Are we on the right track from the supplements point of view?

thanks

burger
08-09-16, 02:21 AM
For emotional control and possibly attention L-theanine might help. Basically you take it when you feel anxious/over stimulated and it should calm you down without making you tired/groggy. It lasts about 3-5 hours. It works for most people but not all people and even in a few people it increases anxiety. It's effectiveness can also be overpowered by medications causing it to have no effects. For most people it should work and calm them down within 10-15 minutes. If you are already calm it should have no effect. If it works well you could probably get some capsules for your son to carry around to take if he feels as though he is going to have an anxiety attack/emotional outburst. L-theanine also has very little flavor and it's a very stable molecule. You can mix it in drinks or even hot beverages.

Magnesium is more reliable and constant than L-theanine. I like L-theanine better though. Magnesium can act as a laxative so watch the dosage. Don't buy magnesium oxide since it's useless. There are many other types of magnesium supplements.

Nature's Way EFA Blend for Children seems to have about the minimum ratio of EPA to DHA. It is a common 3 EPA : 2 DHA ratio. Some people recommend a 4 EPA :1 DHA ratio.

Zinc might help?

There's tons of supplements.

Caco3girl
08-09-16, 09:03 AM
I have a friend who had similar problems with the medication for ADHD. He gives his son "Spark", it's a packet that you can mix with a water bottle. There was a study done a long time ago that compared it to being as effective as ridilin. However, this study was never published or reviewed by a scientific panel, here is a link to an article about it:

http://supplement-geek.com/advocare-spark-energy-drink-review/

I haven't tried the stuff, my son had a sample pack from my friend but when he poured it into the water bottle he didn't like the smell. It comes in lots of different flavors so maybe he just got a "bad" one and he didn't even taste it. My friend swears he can tell daily if his kid took it or didn't take it in the morning, just like when he was on medicine. The kid is no longer on any type of medicine for ADHD.

sarahsweets
08-17-16, 02:45 AM
I urge you to also work with a doctor about his. Even though you are not trying prescription meds- you need to have someone with a medical backround to oversee things in case there are problems.