View Full Version : Experience with homeopathic medicines

snowstar
08-07-16, 04:34 PM
Hello All

My son has not been diagnosed with ADHD, but I have been researching it for the past couple of days and feel strongly that he has the inattentive type which I will be discussing with his doctor as soon as I can get him an appointment. I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw the symptoms and realized I had always been making excuses for him and thinking it was typical boy behavior. This past year in school was a disaster and I am hoping that if he does have ADHD we can get a handle on it and help him.

But I am terrified of drugs for two reasons. One reason is most likely hearing over the years about bad side effects of drugs and kids, although reading in this forum has certainly opened my eyes about that. More importantly, addiction runs in my family and I see things in my son that I don't like. I have a strong fear of him becoming addicted to drugs and would like to avoid them at all costs.

So I was wondering if anyone has any good or bad experience with homeopathic remedies? I know I am maybe putting the cart before the horse by thinking about this without a diagnosis but I hate to go to doctor appointments without some knowledge of the situation and I would like to mention homeopathic remedies with him. Thanks.

aeon
08-07-16, 06:51 PM
Because ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder with potentially many
contributing factors, yet none proven, there is no homeopathic medicine for it.

Drugs are a first-line treatment for ADHD for a reason...they have the
best efficacy and safety profile of any known ADHD treatment.

Also, the fact addiction runs in your family is further reason why medication
would be a good choice in the event of a confirmatory diagnosis. Individuals
with ADHD who are properly medicated have a much reduced likelihood of
drug abuse and addiction than those who are not medicated. In those who
are not medicated, the likelihood is much greater than the average population.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-07-16, 06:53 PM
:goodpost: excellent advice :)

snowstar
08-08-16, 03:23 PM
Thank you so much for your reply Ian. I figured that homeopathy probably wasn't going to fly, but I can get caught up in the hype I read online which is why I came here to ask. I appreciate your insightful information on why it may be better to medicate him if necessary. He is just one who asks for meds for anything and I am afraid of abuse of the drug over time.

My older son shared a story of a couple of kids passing ADHD meds to each other in class so I know that there is interest in abusing it. I suppose it is something I will just keep a very close count of if he does indeed need to start.

Cyllya
08-10-16, 12:32 AM
Are you maybe thinking of something like "holistic medicine" or "naturopathy," rather than homeopathy? The whole idea behind homeopathy is "like cures like"--meaning the correct drug for each illness is a small amount of any substance that normally causes those symptoms in healthy people. So anything homeopathic is inevitably going to have horrible effects if you take too much of it (unless it's one of those fake medicines that don't contain any of the active ingredient--this is a common problem among homeopathic products because some homeopaths have a more spiritual interpretation of disease, but if you're going to go that route, I figure you might as well just pray or something).

As far as I can tell, using stimulant drugs to treat ADHD actually does meet the definition of homeopathy. (Do people just stop calling things homeopathic whenever they actually work?)

If you're looking for something that's "natural" or old-fashioned, you could eat/drink/smoke/vaporize plants that naturally contain caffeine, nicotine, or cocaine, but I don't recommend those options. (Normally, I'd say caffeine is worth a try, just because it's far more convenient than the prescription drugs, but if you're worried about your kid abusing drugs, the fact that caffeine is available without a prescription might make it especially dangerous.)

Vyvanse is an amphetamine, but it's specially made so that it's harder to get high from. There are also some non-stimulant options, such as Straterra, which don't have much abuse potential. Those are often less effective or have worse side effects, and since they haven't been around as long, there is less information available about side effects from long-term use, but they are options.

Some people get help from dietary supplements, but I think that mainly only applies when symptoms are caused by a nutrition deficit. (Too much of any given vitamin/mineral can also have negative effects, so it'd be a good idea to get a blood test to check his current levels rather than having him scarf supplements willy-nilly.) Likewise, hyperactivity/impulsivity is (supposedly?) sometimes caused by salicylate sensitivity, in which case the Feingold program could help.

sarahsweets
08-17-16, 02:54 AM
Thank you so much for your reply Ian. I figured that homeopathy probably wasn't going to fly, but I can get caught up in the hype I read online which is why I came here to ask. I appreciate your insightful information on why it may be better to medicate him if necessary. He is just one who asks for meds for anything and I am afraid of abuse of the drug over time.

My older son shared a story of a couple of kids passing ADHD meds to each other in class so I know that there is interest in abusing it. I suppose it is something I will just keep a very close count of if he does indeed need to start.
Fear mongering is en vogue now. Whenever something good happens and works- its never as good a read as something that was horrible and made something worse. There is a website that involves search terms regarding certain named stimulants and the words death- and its crap. Been disproven and debunked a million times over- yet still floats around social media.
Treating adhd actually REDUCES the chances of addiction. I have been diagnosed since age 6-never medicated until my 20's ( I am 41 now- and old woman lol)
and I am an alcoholic. Became an alcoholic in my 30's out of the blue. Id like to think my chances would have been reduced due to treatement. I am certain its a generic predisposition- and maybe treatement wouldnt have allowed it to rear its ugly head.

Kids pass stuff around that you can get high from- opiates, stimulants, alcohol,inhalants, weed, etc. It doesnt matter that the soup du jour is adhd meds now because it will always be something. No one would deny their child cancer pain medication just because some kids in school talked about passing it around.
And yes, we live in a culture of 'take a pill and call me in the morning' but thats partly due to the fact that we have so much available to us now- its not all bad. As long as you or he doesnt think a pill will cure it- there is other things that need to happen as well.