View Full Version : wellbutrin and insomnia

dusty1
08-07-16, 07:49 PM
Just started taking WB xl 150mg 5 days ago, and I haven't been able to sleep since I started.

The first night, I dozed in and out. The second night I dozed less. The third night I couldn't sleep until about 4am. Last night I gave up and just got up at 5am and started my day. Zero sleep. I wasn't going to take the WB this morning but i figured I need to push through this. So I took it at 5am, which is a little earlier than normal.

I used to take effexor at night and my sleep was wonderful. I stopped the effexor the night before my first WB dose. Slept ok that night.

Other than a little dizziness, I haven't had any other side effects. When I last took WB I don't think it was the XL, it was so many years ago, and I was only using it as an adjunct to lexapro/celexa, and it was prior to my adhd diagnosis, but I remember that my thinking was absolutely clear headed.

So, is this insomnia the effect of withdrawing from the Effexor? Is it the Wellbutrin? And if it's the wellbutrin is it going to stop eventually? I need to sleep.

Oh and benadryl for sleep did squat. Nothing at all. Took two 50mg doses 4 hours apart last night and zilch.

On the positive side, my focus is fantastic and my productivity is great even though I'm as tired as heck.

dusty1
08-11-16, 04:51 PM
well to update, still not sleeping great, but definitely sleeping better than I was.

dusty1
08-21-16, 06:17 PM
more updates:
I'm at about 2 1/2 weeks in and for the past week or so I've been sleeping pretty normally. No issues.

I really like the way the WB works on my adhd as well. Very much less speedy feeling than adderall. Though, I might need to add back in a little adderall for difficult days. But for day to day, it's great.

I am finding a little bit of rage happening though. Like if something ticks me off I want to really get mad. I was at the beach. Someone was blaring music next to me, they weren't even there half the time, I wanted to go find their stupid speaker and toss it in the ocean. LOL.

nicholasjh1
08-26-16, 12:56 PM
Hmm thanks for letting me know about the rage. I've been snapping before I started it at night. I'll have to be careful. I'm only on my second day, but my first day on it I did have a rage bout at night, but at least I felt more in control

bamboo
10-29-16, 01:13 AM
more updates:
I'm at about 2 1/2 weeks in and for the past week or so I've been sleeping pretty normally. No issues.

I really like the way the WB works on my adhd as well. Very much less speedy feeling than adderall. Though, I might need to add back in a little adderall for difficult days. But for day to day, it's great.

I am finding a little bit of rage happening though. Like if something ticks me off I want to really get mad. I was at the beach. Someone was blaring music next to me, they weren't even there half the time, I wanted to go find their stupid speaker and toss it in the ocean. LOL.

Happy to hear it got better! I'm at approximately 2 weeks now and my sleeping is sooo bad. Just pulled an allnighter. But I hope it turns out well just as it did with you :)

ohlookakitty
01-06-17, 03:01 PM
The first few days were pretty bad and I would pretty much crash and sleep hard when I did finally fall asleep. I had no issues sleeping prior to starting Wellbutrin 100mg HCL a week ago.

About 5 days in I started to get tired around my normal bed time. I will say though like anything exercising helps. Even walking for that matter. One thing I did notice is that even with my mild sleep apnea (tried CPAP twice for few months and failed) and have vivid dreams for as long as I can remember the meds seem to relax my thoughts more. Less dream, don't remember too much when I fall asleep and wake up fairly refreshed :)