View Full Version : Feeling Lost (Aderall isn't right for me, Vyvanse was, What do I do?)

lana223
08-08-16, 02:51 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD- inattentive type about a year ago. The first medication I tried was Vyvanse. For the first time in my life I could focus, I had motivation, I wasn't depressed, I mostly stopped self-medicating with alcohol. It was amazing. I had some issues with insomnia and was occasionally irritable, but those were minor side effects considering all of the positive changes I experienced. This was on just 10mg and then 20mg a few months later.

As of this last May my insurance changed and Vyvanse is no longer covered. Which means it is insanely costly. My Dr. first prescribed me generic Adderall IR 10mg twice a day. I initially was so tired I could literally not do anything. After about a two weeks I decided my dose was maybe too high and talked to my doctor. We cut my dose down to 15mg a day. I had problems with blurred vision, was still tired, and I started getting depressed.

We then switched to brand name Adderall XR at just 10mg to see if I would tolerate it better. The vision issues have mostly subsided. However, I feel very depressed. I have zero motivation and I'm lucky if I get 2-3 hours of time a day where I can focus. I also have almost no ability to prioritize. I think my depression is about where it used to be prior to meds.

I have an appointment again and I think I want to ask to switch but I don't know what to switch to. Has anyone had better luck with Ritalin/Focalin/ or Concerta than Adderall? Or positive experiences on both Vyvanse and Focalin/Ritalin/ or Concerta?

I know everyone is different and sometimes it's just guess work, but I'm looking for some opinions so I can at least come up with a starting point and maybe feel slightly less hopeless?

Thoughts?

lana223
08-08-16, 05:46 PM
Update: My Dr. helped me fill out an application for Shire Cares to get Vyvanse at a discount. He also started me on Focalin (generic) 2.5 mg 2X a day for 1 month to see how I tolerate it. My other options are Ritalin or Concerta. We'll see how it goes. I'm still very much interested to hear anyone else's experiences.

caretothepeople
08-09-16, 10:42 AM
It's great to hear that you were able to work with your doctor to adjust things. For now keep a log of how you're feeling on the new meds and jot down any symptoms that pop up. That's a good way to keep track and figure out what works for you.

cwf1986
08-17-16, 05:02 PM
I wonder why your doc didn't mention dexedrine. Vyvanse is a pro-drug to what dexedrine is.

But who knows, maybe a methylphenidate preparations (which includes focalin, concerta, and ritalin) would be even better.

Regardless, good luck!