View Full Version : Pregnancy and meds

spunky84
08-08-16, 01:44 PM
I know I posted something similar back when I first joined, but it's become more of a discussion with my husband.

He's really started talking about trying for a baby. The thought was to get pregnant this fall so the baby would be due after I graduate school but before I start working.

My only concern is going off the meds completely. I'm on vyvanse 70 mg and then 15 mg Adderall IR booster for afternoons. I asked my midwife before I was diagnosed (when I was waiting for my appointment to be diagnosed) how would that work if I ended up on meds. She said I'd have to go off them.

I know that these meds aren't considered safe during pregnancy, but at the same time, when the benefits outweigh the risks, some stay on them.

I'm terrified of going off of them. They've made a huge improvement in my life. I'm a full time nursing student, and I'm expected to graduate at the beginning of next May. School was excruciatingly difficult prior to diagnosis. I pretty much only got by because of the amount of caffeine I had on a daily basis which wasn't even consistent and certainly wouldn't be safe in that amount in pregnancy either. Studying was impossible. Reading for assignments were impossible. My stress levels were through the roof because of it.

Since starting the meds, my stress levels have significantly decreased because I have been able to study and focus. My clinical performance went from struggling to doing very well.

I'm scared that I'm going to end up failing out if I go off meds. It's not even like we can wait until I graduate, get pregnant, have a baby, take 8 weeks (would be having a c section) to recover, and then go back on meds and get a job. We can't push back me getting employed back that much (unless obviously it's just because I can't find something).

Even if I waited until after I had a job, I can't imagine going off meds while working. Based on my clinical performance with and without meds, I don't see it working.

So I feel like my options are getting pregnant, going off meds and risk failing out or having to withdraw, pushing graduation back another year or just accept not having any more kids.

My psychiatrist suggested taking 1 day a week off of vyvanse (ONLY if I was able to and comfortable with it) to help prevent tolerance. He said if I still had to study, I could take the adderall only instead on that day (adderall hasn't even been every day -- I usually only do when I need to which is most nights, but other nights I try to get by without and just deal with it).

Since school has been out (for semester break), I've been awful at taking my meds because I feel guilty taking them when not in school / studying, but that's what has really shown me the difference it makes. I struggle so much on those days. I've really gone back to losing things (important things!), struggling with focus, concentration, everything. I kind of feel like a mess, to be honest.

As far as being on meds during pregnancy - who gets to do decide that? My midwife or my psychiatrist? Or both? I don't even know how to discuss this with either. Who would I talk to first? What are things I should say or ask?

I've read about how some would just go on a very low dose of adderall. Even if it's well below what they need, something was better than nothing. I'd be willing to give it a try without and see how it goes, but I'm afraid they both or one will say absolutely not. I'd be willing cut down to a small dose just for even a little help.

I'll struggle with the rest of the time, but I just need to get through studying. I need to get through school. I'd be willing to go off during my semester break or any breaks during the semester. I would likely be done with school in the early 30s (weeks) and would be willing to go off completely until birth. I'm just scared about getting through school

I just really don't know what to do. I feel stuck. If it absolutely comes down to that they won't let me be on anything at all during pregnancy, then I think we'd just have to accept not having any more kids, but I'd really like to have that choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions especially with discussing this with both midwife and psychiatrist? Even if anyone can suggest coping skills without meds?

midnightstar
08-08-16, 04:37 PM
Why is not waiting until you've graduated an option? Are you worried about finances?

If you did have another kid, you'd have to stay off work to look after the kid anyway :grouphug:

Are there any benefits you could claim if you did have another kid or would you have to juggle childcare with work (you and your other half both juggling it I mean)

Sorry I'm not too sure how it works in the USA :grouphug:

spunky84
08-08-16, 05:07 PM
For us, it's finances. I quit my job to go back to school as I knew I wouldn't be able to juggle both. I tried it before and it didn't work out, and that was just with some general education classes. That was several years ago, but adding in children, it just had to be done.

Right now my husband is the only one working. We're pretty much getting by on our tax return and financial aid. Graduation would be within the first week or so in May. We were hoping to aim for June - July for baby to make sure that birth wouldn't interfere with school. I had my youngest 4 weeks into my first semester - there's no way I could do that in my last semester.

I have to have a c section since I've already had 2 previous c sections, so I'd have to be out 8 weeks after birth. I was only cleared to go back to school when I was because I wasn't going to be doing anything physical upon return, and my clinicals didn't start until after I was 8 weeks postpartum.

I still have to pass my boards after I graduate, but with my state, I've heard that it takes awhile to get the authorization to test. Last years graduates were starting to take their boards around July through now.

But I have to pretty much try to get a job asap especially since I'll have to start paying back my loans after graduation. My husband only makes $10/hr, so childcare wouldn't even be smart since it'd take his pay plus mine. I know the general wage I would start at as a new grad which would be over half of his income. The plan would be for him to quit and stay home with the kids.

It'd be too hard financially to stay out almost an extra year -- which would be the risk though going without meds.

I've been doing some research, and I think I'm going to talk to my midwife if there are safe alternatives. I know there aren't any safe alternative adhd meds, but maybe there's something that may have the potential to help -- like l-tyrosine since I've heard that helps with some.

Basically just see what we can do -- support systems, etc. I don't know. I'm in counseling too, so maybe that can help keep me on the right path without meds until after? I don't know.

Little Missy
08-08-16, 06:54 PM
It sounds like a big ole' train wreck to me. But maybe you are better at all of that going than I could ever do.