View Full Version : Anyone else prescribed Seroquel as a sleep aid?

spamspambacon
08-10-16, 10:48 AM
I have taken Trazodone and Ambien to help me sleep, but both are no longer effective.

Went to my "doc" yesterday, and she prescribed Seroquel (Quetiapine Fumarate) 50mg as a sleep aid.

So I do a little digging and learn it's an anti-psychotic.
It's prescribed for Schizophrenia and Bipolar (I have neither).

I have anxiety, depression and uh... uh... something else.... ummm... oh yeah! ADHD.

I already do not trust this "doc" (she's actually an nurse) for a variety of reasons,
so I would like to know if anyone else has been prescribed Seroquel for sleeping,
or even anything else not related to Schizophrenia nor Bipolar Disorder.

peripatetic
08-10-16, 02:45 PM
my short answer is no, i haven't. but i do know people who have taken it for sleep and i have been prescribed/taken seroquel, just not for sleep.

i appreciate your concerns, but seroquel at 200 or less is going to knock you out and would do nothing for other symptoms even if you did have them. to give you an idea of what i'm talking about, when i took it i took 800 and it didn't make me sleepy.

it's a weird medication in that respect. taking anything low really is just for sleep, which, the fatigue, tends to wear off as you increase the dosage.

if other sleeping options are failing you, i would certainly give it a try.

spamspambacon
08-10-16, 03:39 PM
my short answer is no, i haven't. but i do know people who have taken it for sleep and i have been prescribed/taken seroquel, just not for sleep.

i appreciate your concerns, but seroquel at 200 or less is going to knock you out and would do nothing for other symptoms even if you did have them. to give you an idea of what i'm talking about, when i took it i took 800 and it didn't make me sleepy.

it's a weird medication in that respect. taking anything low really is just for sleep, which, the fatigue, tends to wear off as you increase the dosage.

if other sleeping options are failing you, i would certainly give it a try.

Thanks for the info.
I will give it a try.
I hope it helps!

~spammy

cwf1986
08-12-16, 09:41 AM
If you can tolerate it, that is your blood pressure doesn't go too low, clonidine is great for sleeping. It also helps with adhd. It's one of the few meds that increases the deep sleep phase of sleep so not only does it help you fall asleep, but improves the quality of sleep.

aeon
08-12-16, 10:53 AM
I’d try mirtazapine before trying Seroquel.

I mean, no need for a sledgehammer when a ball-peen hammer will do the trick.

Cheers,
Ian

spamspambacon
08-12-16, 11:31 AM
I’d try mirtazapine before trying Seroquel.

Cheers,
Ian

I'm not sure what size hammer I actually need.
I've taken the Seroquel for 2 nights and I'm not much better off (at least, I don't think I am, anyway....)

Still lay around, kicking blankets/sheets, trying to find a better position for 2+ hours (sometimes deciding to put my head at the foot of the bed, just to 'mix it up' some...:D)

Then, finally falling asleep, I'm quick to wake (THANK YOU, KITTIES! ARGH!!) and slow to fall back asleep. (another 1+ hour wait before I doze back off.)

I wake up later than I'm used to. (7am), refuse to get out of bed until 8am (hoping to sleep just any little bit more I can!), then all day, I'm not tired at all.

I go to bed at 8pm (don't laugh) and usually take the med around 7pm.

I didn't fall asleep until 12:30pm last night.

Ambien was perfect, back when it worked.:(

What else are my options?

Little Missy
08-12-16, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure what size hammer I actually need.
I've taken the Seroquel for 2 nights and I'm not much better off (at least, I don't think I am, anyway....)

Still lay around, kicking blankets/sheets, trying to find a better position for 2+ hours (sometimes deciding to put my head at the foot of the bed, just to 'mix it up' some...:D)

Then, finally falling asleep, I'm quick to wake (THANK YOU, KITTIES! ARGH!!) and slow to fall back asleep. (another 1+ hour wait before I doze back off.)

I wake up later than I'm used to. (7am), refuse to get out of bed until 8am (hoping to sleep just any little bit more I can!), then all day, I'm not tired at all.

I go to bed at 8pm (don't laugh) and usually take the med around 7pm.

I didn't fall asleep until 12:30pm last night.

Ambien was perfect, back when it worked.:(

What else are my options?

Temazepam=sledge hammer or 2mg Klonopin=The Velvet Hammer

aeon
08-12-16, 01:43 PM
Temazepam=sledge hammer or 2mg Klonopin=The Velvet Hammer

So perfect a description. :)

But temazepam FTW. :yes:

Cheers,
Ian

spamspambacon
08-13-16, 04:21 PM
UPDATE:

Nope. 50mg ain't doin' sh** for me.
:eek:<~ Me, trying to sleep.

I think I was allowed to try 100mg, but I can't recall, exactly, the conversation with my APN.

I'll call Monday and ask.

Dave911
12-30-16, 09:47 AM
Id try mirtazapine before trying Seroquel.

Cheers,
Ian

Do you use Mirtazapine with adderall? The reason I ask is because I tried using it as a sleep aid with Dexamphetamine and it made the Dex lose it's effectiveness for days after. I'm pretty sure there is a interaction there, at least for me there is.