View Full Version : Appetite *increase* on Adderall?

Rockkso
08-11-16, 04:15 PM
I was diagnosed ADHD-PI six months ago and put on 15/mg per day of Adderall XR. My doctor mentioned (and I had read countless other places online) that Adderall is an appetite suppressant, but I have found the exact opposite - my appetite has actually increased noticeably since going on Adderall. I've actually gained a couple pounds over the last two months. Has anyone else experienced this?

I concurrently take 75MG / day of Zoloft to treat my panic disorder, which is known to cause increased appetite / weight gain in some people. Is this simply cancelling out the appetite suppression effects of the Adderall, or do people exaggerate just how non-hungry Adderall makes you?

Cyllya
08-11-16, 09:06 PM
Adderall decreases my appetite, but I get a backlash of increased appetite whenever it's wearing off. It's especially bad if I miss a dose.

I don't think increased appetite is a typical side effect of sertraline; rather it just makes you gain weight without increasing your food intake.

C15H25N3O
08-29-16, 05:24 AM
Amphetamines decreases hunger but also can increase appetite due to they can increase lust.

If you are active/busy you can/will forget about eating.

spunky84
09-18-16, 08:37 PM
I was initially put on Vyvanse for ADHD and for binge eating (bulimia - but the pscyh figured if the binge was controlled)... Even at 70 mg, it never did anything to my appetite. I really thought with having a busy summer semester I'd be so busy and wouldn't even think about eating, but instead I ended up gaining 8 pounds (it was a really rough semester - fortunately the weight didn't stick once the semester was over!).

I was also given an Adderall booster. That did absolutely nothing to my appetite.

My appetite was pretty much the same. Sometimes a little more. It just kind of depended.

I was also on Wellbutrin at the time, but I was switched to Prozac. Since starting the Prozac, I've noticed a huge difference with my appetite and eating patterns.

With the Prozac added in, for me I don't think it's necessarily that I have absolutely no appetite. I still get hungry and can forget about eating, but once I realize it, I realize how hungry I am. The difference for me is my eating habits have been less emotionally driven, so I've been able to listen more to what my body needs and make healthier choices. I can eat and actually leave something on the plate or even forgot that I wasn't done eating as I had gotten distracted by something else (a positive thing - like school work).

It's possible to have paradoxical effects from drugs, but I'm not sure how common that is. When did you start the Zoloft? Has it been helping? If you started it before the Adderall, did you have this problem with appetite?

Do you feel the Adderall has been therapeutic for you?

The increased appetite could be different things. It may be worth asking your doctor's opinion as they may have ideas on if it could be Adderall or the Zoloft, or even unrelated.

sarahsweets
09-19-16, 05:05 AM
I know the appetite suppression part for me only lasts a couple of days and then everything returns to normal.

Lash107
09-25-16, 05:14 PM
I was diagnosed ADHD-PI six months ago and put on 15/mg per day of Adderall XR. My doctor mentioned (and I had read countless other places online) that Adderall is an appetite suppressant, but I have found the exact opposite - my appetite has actually increased noticeably since going on Adderall. I've actually gained a couple pounds over the last two months. Has anyone else experienced this?

I take Adderrall IR and it suppresses my appetite initially. After a few weeks of taking it, I start getting my appetite back.

I concurrently take 75MG / day of Zoloft to treat my panic disorder, which is known to cause increased appetite / weight gain in some people. Is this simply cancelling out the appetite suppression effects of the Adderall, or do people exaggerate just how non-hungry Adderall makes you?

Zoloft was weight neutral for me when I took it. I have taken Adderall and Zoloft together.