View Full Version : Ritalin shortage?

yepimonfire
08-11-16, 08:16 PM
I just got prescribed ritalin and called 11 different pharmacies and finally found one that is over an hour away from me that has it. Does anybody know if there is some sort of shortage right now?

namazu
08-11-16, 08:40 PM
I don't see one listed on the FDA's website of drug shortages (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/default.cfm).

Still, it's possible that there is a local shortage in your area or that there's a larger shortage that's not yet reflected in the list.

Some pharmacies may also be reluctant to disclose over the phone that they have the medication in stock -- which stinks, if you're just trying to fill a valid prescription without running around all over town.

yepimonfire
08-12-16, 01:13 PM
I don't see one listed on the FDA's website of drug shortages (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/default.cfm).

Still, it's possible that there is a local shortage in your area or that there's a larger shortage that's not yet reflected in the list.

Some pharmacies may also be reluctant to disclose over the phone that they have the medication in stock -- which stinks, if you're just trying to fill a valid prescription without running around all over town.

No several of them I did actually visit. A lot of places told me it didn't get prescribed often enough to stock it. The pharmacy I finally got it at was a mom and pop pharmacy which charged me an arm and a leg, they too said it rarely is prescribed.

namazu
08-12-16, 07:36 PM
Hmm, I'm surprised that they said that about Ritalin. It's still one of the most commonly-prescribed ADHD medications in the U.S. and around the world.

Were you looking specifically for brand-name Ritalin, or generic instant-release methylphenidate? The brand-name stuff could be harder to find.

One thing you could try: ask a local pharmacy to order it for you. If you let the pharmacy know that you'll be taking this regularly (if you've determined that this med/dose works for you), and that you expect to receive a script on a certain date for sixty 10mg pills (or whatever), they may be able to have it in stock for you.

It will depend on the pharmacy, and it may be easier if you've been going to a single pharmacy for a while so they know you, but it's worth a shot. When I have traveled for a few months at a time and needed to take meds with me, I let my regular pharmacy (a local CVS) know what I would need and when, and they were able to ensure that they had the required quantity in stock. Generic instant-release methylphenidate shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to find a place that stocked it, though sorry you had to pay so much!

yepimonfire
08-13-16, 03:06 AM
It was just generic. The regular guy who works at the pharmacy I usually go to was on vacation so couldn't get it ordered.