View Full Version : Is concerta right for me? Am I really ADD?

hermitcrab
08-11-16, 10:56 PM
Im an 18 yo girl diagnosed with ADHD-PI roughly 7 months ago. I was prescribed ritalin 220mg /day which, despite the awful come down it gave me, and side effects, it helped and i felt like i could function as a normal human being. He then moved me to concerta 54mg which i prefer than the short acting rit. I should probably also explain I have severe anxiety (since 14) panic disorder and agoraphobia. I cant exactly pin point when, but during the time of taking the concerta, leaving the house became something i avoided at all costs, i had always been anxious about public places but i was able to manage and get it done atleast, my panic attacks started to become fewer and fewer as my axiety became somehwat bareable.

The sweating side effect from concerta which leaves the sides of my t****s drenched, my palms, face my entire body. My avarage heart rate of 70 is now 110 and the heart palpitations get so strong at times that it has brought on more panic attacks. So avoiding those public spaces became the priority of my days, i dont want another panic attack like the last so i sit at home and bite my nails, pluck my eyebrows til i can barely see i even have them, i have trich so i pull the hair from my head, im am so embarrased by it but cant stop, in year 1 it started and i would pluck til i was bald.

Before the add meds i weighed 73kg, im 5"6 tall and I now weigh between 58-61kg. If i take concerta in the morning, even if i push myself to eat a big brekky, i will not be able to eat til about 9-10pm at night if im lucky. I didnt aim to lose weight purposly, but i do know myself well enough to know that any weight gain will probably have me trying to get back down to this new weight i have grown to love. Food and drink the same, ive tried protien shakes and food sups and managing to get them down and to stay down is just the same as food.

So anyway i tried to miss a day every week (mum wanted me to) purely so i could eat, and then i started missing more and more and fell into a "whenever i felt like it pattern" just so that i could eat and not feel sick. Theres almost no minute of the day that i wont be feeling nauseous or vomiting up bile from any odd smell. But even though these side effects are physically painful, the concerta deminishes my racing negative thoughts, my child like behaviour, my innatentiveness, feelings of anger and improves my mentality overall.

I have been told by many different pyschs in the past, all differnt things. One diagnosing this and the other that, so my faith in them unfortunately is not of the highest. CBT was unsuccessful at age14 and i have trust issues with councilors. I talk to my family and they are helpful but i am now starting to despise myself if i talk, i tell myself to shutup, i hate the sound of my own voice, looking in the mirror and the fact that i can be loud and have child like happy outbusts, i am starting to really despise myself. And then i will do it all again. I CANT SHUT UP.

The medication helps a lot with my talkativeness but i still feel like a motor mouth. Mum came to the doctor with me, and he prescribed zoloft 50mg/day with the concerta (i originally went to the doctor to lower the dose of the concerta but he said he urges me to stay with it cus he can see the improvement) and even if i wanted to lower it id have to go to my pyschiatrist (250$/session) which is money i dont have, im unemployed and getting payments from the gov of about $120/fortnight ($50 to my parents for board, $50/tobacco) $20 for medications (im on pbs). So the pysch is out of the question, took the zoloft and concerta together yesterday and didnt feel any different but i know from experiemce that it wont start to take proper effect til about a month.

Last night was absolutely shocking. I could not sleep, i tried the whole night tossing and turning, i was so extremely tired, like now but cant sleep! It peeved me off so much last night that i was in tears, so restless and had another panic attack. I took the same meds this morning and am DREADING going to sleep tonight.

I have been on prozac, effexor xr, pristiq, seretonin, quitiapine, Risperdal and seroquil xr. So going off the main topic :( oops.. Am i stiill add if the medication makes my body feel like im going to explode but my mind calm and positive? I know there are other stimulant meds out there but i am so sick and tired of taking a new pill, always with a whole heaps of new side effects that i then might take another pill to cancel it out. I just wish the pysch gave me more information, ANY!

Toss4n
08-12-16, 05:32 AM
Im an 18 yo girl diagnosed with ADHD-PI roughly 7 months ago. I was prescribed ritalin 220mg /day which, despite the awful come down it gave me, and side effects, it helped and i felt like i could function as a normal human being. He then moved me to concerta 54mg which i prefer than the short acting rit.

I should probably also explain I have severe anxiety (since 14) panic disorder and agoraphobia. I cant exactly pin point when, but during the time of taking the concerta, leaving the house became something i avoided at all costs, i had always been anxious about public places but i was able to manage and get it done atleast, my panic attacks started to become fewer and fewer as my axiety became somehwat bareable.

The sweating side effect from concerta which leaves the sides of my t****s drenched, my palms, face my entire body. My avarage heart rate of 70 is now 110 and the heart palpitations get so strong at times that it has brought on more panic attacks. So avoiding those public spaces became the priority of my days, i dont want another panic attack like the last so i sit at home and bite my nails, pluck my eyebrows til i can barely see i even have them, i have trich so i pull the hair from my head, im am so embarrased by it but cant stop, in year 1 it started and i would pluck til i was bald.

Before the add meds i weighed 73kg, im 5"6 tall and I now weigh between 58-61kg. If i take concerta in the morning, even if i push myself to eat a big brekky, i will not be able to eat til about 9-10pm at night if im lucky. I didnt aim to lose weight purposly, but i do know myself well enough to know that any weight gain will probably have me trying to get back down to this new weight i have grown to love.

Food and drink the same, ive tried protien shakes and food sups and managing to get them down and to stay down is just the same as food. So anyway i tried to miss a day every week (mum wanted me to) purely so i could eat, and then i started missing more and more and fell into a "whenever i felt like it pattern" just so that i could eat and not feel sick. Theres almost no minute of the day that i wont be feeling nauseous or vomiting up bile from any odd smell. But even though these side effects are physically painful, the concerta deminishes my racing negative thoughts, my child like behaviour, my innatentiveness, feelings of anger and improves my mentality overall.

I have been told by many different pyschs in the past, all differnt things. One diagnosing this and the other that, so my faith in them unfortunately is not of the highest. CBT was unsuccessful at age14 and i have trust issues with councilors. I talk to my family and they are helpful but i am now starting to despise myself if i talk, i tell myself to shutup, i hate the sound of my own voice, looking in the mirror and the fact that i can be loud and have child like happy outbusts, i am starting to really despise myself. And then i will do it all again. I CANT SHUT UP. The medication helps a lot with my talkativeness but i still feel like a motor mouth.

Mum came to the doctor with me, and he prescribed zoloft 50mg/day with the concerta (i originally went to the doctor to lower the dose of the concerta but he said he urges me to stay with it cus he can see the improvement) and even if i wanted to lower it id have to go to my pyschiatrist (250$/session) which is money i dont have, im unemployed and getting payments from the gov of about $120/fortnight ($50 to my parents for board, $50/tobacco) $20 for medications (im on pbs). So the pysch is out of the question, took the zoloft and concerta together yesterday and didnt feel any different but i know from experiemce that it wont start to take proper effect til about a month.

Last night was absolutely shocking. I could not sleep, i tried the whole night tossing and turning, i was so extremely tired, like now but cant sleep! It peeved me off so much last night that i was in tears, so restless and had another panic attack. I took the same meds this morning and am DREADING going to sleep tonight.

I have been on prozac, effexor xr, pristiq, seretonin, quitiapine, Risperdal and seroquil xr. So going off the main topic :( oops.. Am i stiill add if the medication makes my body feel like im going to explode but my mind calm and positive? I know there are other stimulant meds out there but i am so sick and tired of taking a new pill, always with a whole heaps of new side effects that i then might take another pill to cancel it out. I just wish the pysch gave me more information, ANY!

Tried my best to separate your post into paragraphs as it helps people here read it and respond.

As for your post in general it does sound like you are on the right path with the zoloft and concerta, but as you said they do come with a bunch of side-effects, and one of them is unfortunately increased anxiety (for some). The only cure would be to stick it out for a longer period until the side-effects go away, and if not switch medications (despite not wanting to switch, but sometimes you have no other choice). Maybe adding an anti-anxiety med would help (for the times when it gets really bad).

Now, my advice to you would be to look beyond pills to make yourself feel better (pills will only allow you to go so far). I know it can be difficult, but meditation, exercise, healthy diet, etc. have been proven to be quite effective for depression and anxiety. Exercise in particular would probably be great for your self-esteem. Finding a support-group would probably also be helpful, and of course friends.

Bluechoo
08-12-16, 10:23 AM
exercise can also help your appetite and sleep patterns. Also, I think 18 is pretty young, and what I wouldn't give to be 18 again! The guilty feelings you describe about looking in the mirror and seeing your childish self; they never went away for me. Now I choose to accept the inner child and nourish it. I realize that I can be more youthful than my peers who made themselves really busy "growing up" when I was being immature.

Try looking in the mirror and telling yourself how beautiful and charming you are. Accept yourself and your little oddities. They make you you, and you matter.