View Full Version : Insomnia

maysarieltiff
08-13-16, 02:15 AM
How do you deal with it, if you struggle with it?

I have been getting back into my music lately, which I have put to the side. I have been making playlists until 4am in the morning, I get two or three hours of sleep, then my son wakes me up. This makes the day...difficult.

I was taking trazadone but it gave me this weird hangover in the morning which made it almost impossible to get up in the morning, but really didn't help my sleep much.

Any ideas besides melatonin? That doesn't seem to help. I have taken 5mg for a dose.

Thanks!

And as I write this, it is 1:16 in the morning. Sigh!

Greendragon
08-14-16, 12:39 AM
I have terrible problems with insomnia I've tried all kinds of different medication including melatonin the only thing that helps me is temazepam which you can only take for short periods of time. The one thing that I find in the middle of the night is guided imagery videos on YouTube they get me into a very relaxed state and I can go back to sleep. I hope you get to sleep soon!

sarahsweets
08-19-16, 04:24 AM
How do you deal with it, if you struggle with it?

I have been getting back into my music lately, which I have put to the side. I have been making playlists until 4am in the morning, I get two or three hours of sleep, then my son wakes me up. This makes the day...difficult.

I was taking trazadone but it gave me this weird hangover in the morning which made it almost impossible to get up in the morning, but really didn't help my sleep much.

Any ideas besides melatonin? That doesn't seem to help. I have taken 5mg for a dose.

Thanks!

And as I write this, it is 1:16 in the morning. Sigh!
Sarah, sleep nazi at your service.
I cant even begin to explain my pains with insomnia. The first thing I recommend is go see a pulmonologist and have a sleep study done. Many people only think they are necessary for people with snoring issues or narcolepsy- insomnia is no joke and it is a disorder. There are many nuances to it, I could get all technical about mine - but this is your thread.

For me, traditional sleep medications and benzos arent safe. I learned about re-training my body and I did it. It took about 9 months of absolute vigiliance.
The basics are, I go to bed and wake up in the same window of time everyday, 7 days a week no matter what. I dont need the traditonal 7-8 hours of sleep so for me, I go to bed between 10-12 and wake up between 4-6 everyday. I do this on weekends, holidays- only times I dont is if there is an extreme need to change my schedule or Im sick.
I actually have been having hormone issues that have been screwing this plan up a bit- but I keep to it.
I didnt used to feel tired or that I could wind down but I set an alarm and forced myself to get into bed and read or listen to music. When my alarms went off at 5am and I hadnt actually gotten to sleep until 1am even though I went up at 10, I still got up and went about my day.

It sounds impossible but it worked for me.
There are a small set of people who simple cant go to sleep earlier. I think Bella is one of those people. Just her own clock, and shes tried it all- and has to live with it.(I shouldnt be speaking for her, sorry bella)
I am not sure what she does but she tried what I did and it didnt work.

However for the majority- it will work. People are always quick to say,
"I tried that and it didnt work" but how long did they try it?
It was not a quick process but my body clock did change and I treasure the routine now.

maysarieltiff
08-24-16, 12:02 AM
My body wants to sleep around eight every night. But I have too much to do, so usually it is around 11 or 12. When I was younger I was a night owl, now it seems I want to sleep early and because I don't sleep well, I want to sleep late. However, the only time I really feel like I can get sleep is when I cannot. For example, my son wakes up, say, at 7:15am. Suddenly I can sleep. But, I can't lol. I am usually exhausted by then. But that could be residual from not sleeping the night before...Also, I can only go to sleep as early as my son does.

I can fall asleep but once I wake up, it is all over. 3:38 last night and I laid awake for three hours before finally giving up.

I will see if I can get into a sleep clinic, I know they have one here at Trinity, as my nursing class goes there this semester.

Thanks, all.

PS. Peaceful dreams to all of us. :)

Little Voice
09-07-16, 11:37 PM
A friend on another site told me about 'Foot Scrubbing' as an aid to alleviate my chronic insomnia. I thought that it really couldn't be that simple and was dubious to even give it a go....But I eventually tried it. Using warm water soap and a scrubbing brush to vigorously scrub my feet and specifically the soles of my feet before retiring for the night. The difference it made was astounding. Doesn't work everytime...but it does work.

sarahsweets
09-10-16, 03:24 AM
A friend on another site told me about 'Foot Scrubbing' as an aid to alleviate my chronic insomnia. I thought that it really couldn't be that simple and was dubious to even give it a go....But I eventually tried it. Using warm water soap and a scrubbing brush to vigorously scrub my feet and specifically the soles of my feet before retiring for the night. The difference it made was astounding. Doesn't work everytime...but it does work.

Im so tickleish, i dont know how you were able to stand it!

BellaVita
09-10-16, 03:52 AM
A low dose of Clonazepam might be helpful. (especially if you also happen to suffer from anxiety/nightmares) It doesn't have the hangover effect that Trazodone has.

A spoonful of peanut butter before bed actually helps me feel a bit sleepy.

Snoopy10
09-11-16, 10:37 AM
Sarahsweets your sleep plan actually sound like it would work for me. I have always had problems sleeping and now have just given in to taking clonazepam only .25-.5mg

If I could make myself stay awake until midnight and sleep until 4, that could work. But most days I just need to "stop" and that is at 8:00pm. So I would just have to rally until 12. The problem is my ADD has me exhausted mentally by 6, usually so between 6-8 I usually chow down dinner, have a glass of wine or two. Which makes it hard to stay awake until 12.

If I just had more discipline.....but I guess that is an ADD symptom isn't it. Lol!

Michelle B
10-10-16, 08:40 PM
I never knew sleep problems were related to ADD. I have been taking benadryl for nearly 10 years because if I don't, I will not feel sleepy(tired, yes, but not able to fall asleep) until around 2am. Even though my alarm goes off at 6am every day.

Swissy
10-12-16, 05:57 AM
Try binaural beats. I listen through YouTube. You have to use headphones or buds. There are a lot of different ones, find one you like and go with it.