View Full Version : Anything for anxiety that isn't a benzo?

yepimonfire
08-13-16, 02:37 AM
Already tried buspar, didn't work. I am on zoloft and I'm sure once it finally kicks in it will help but I need something for those unexpected attacks.

Unmanagable
08-13-16, 09:51 AM
Diaphragmatic breathing, rhythmic breathing, and alternate nostril breathing help(ed) me tremendously. You Tube University helped school me on most of it, as well as various workshops I attended.

I used to take xanax for anxiety, but once I learned the breath work (along with other various approaches like mindful eating and movement), and practiced it daily, especially on days I wasn't experiencing a lot of anxiety, I no longer had to take something external to help control it. It's free and can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and eventually becomes a lifestyle, from my experiences.

Laserbeak
08-23-16, 06:52 PM
Metoprolol (a beta-blocker) has very mild anxiolytic effects.

Greyhound1
08-23-16, 07:00 PM
Brain entrainment and practicing mindfulness seem to help me with mild to moderate anxiety.

aeon
08-23-16, 07:26 PM
alprazolam/Xanax is the gold-standard for panic attacks for a reason.

for milder forms of anxiety, all that has been named so far can be helpful.

and for sure, therapy can, over time, help some people with panic attacks, some of the time.

the only other thing that works is alcohol, and that has consequences, and cannot be recommended.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
08-28-16, 07:14 PM
Anything for anxiety that isn't a benzo?

10-20% CBD-Oil works, is mild, natural and legal.
It also has many other good effects.
Doctors maybe dont like it, big pharma hates it.
Endoca is a manufacturer of high quality.
Insurance will not pay for it.

Maybe it is not strong enough.

If anyone says it is not scientific approved the answer is there is not big money behind it.

Your choice. It has no "high" and is sold as a nutrition supplement.
It should be tried over 1-2 months but check effects on other meds effectiveness!
Maybe you need another doctor for it who has no attitudes from propaganda.

:-)

I tried Metropolol combined with ritalin. It also works but is a heavy med against high
blood pressure which directly affects your heart. it felt strange to me but makes super-calm,
anti-anxious and anti-nervous. Kind of sledge hammer.

Sorry aeon, but alcohol is toxic and heavy addictive and no alternative while being on psych-meds.

Laserbeak
08-29-16, 04:27 AM
There really is no official anxiolytic other than Buspar that is not a benzodiazepine or closely related to them (like the sleeping pills Ambien and Lunesta, which I do not recommend).

Oxycodone is actually thought of as a kind of special opioid that does have anxiolytic properties by some people, but hardly any doctor would prescribe it to you for that. It might even be illegal to do so.

yepimonfire
08-29-16, 08:22 AM
Sorry aeon, but alcohol is toxic and heavy addictive and no alternative while being on psych-meds.
Yeah. I try to avoid alcohol because I always have worse depression/anxiety the day after. I also developed a drinking habit when I was unmedicated that went south very quickly. I was drinking like a 12 pack a night to deal with anxiety.

spamspambacon
08-29-16, 08:55 AM

I think aeon mentioned alcohol more or less "tongue-in-cheek".
IOW, it was humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value.

Laserbeak
08-29-16, 08:59 AM
Well alcohol does work. Its method of action is similar to the benzodiazepines.

Also, barbiturates work too, also similar to alcohol and benzodiazepines, but they are rarely available anymore, hardly ever prescribed or dispensed by pharmacies except for very specialized reasons. They are also the most dangerous since the difference between the effective dose and lethal dose is quite small.

All these drugs work on the GABA complex of neurotransmitter systems.

aeon
08-29-16, 02:29 PM
I said alcohol because it works, there is no question of that.

I also said it could not be recommended, and it has consequences.

How could I have been more clear?

Also, challenging what I said after having changed the context of the discussion is poor netiquette.

In any case, I’ll say it again, and take the chance it won’t be read, or people will reply to something I didn’t say:

Alcohol works, but comes with consequences, and cannot be recommended.

Alles ist klar?,
Ian

Laserbeak
08-29-16, 06:49 PM
If you read my post The Perils of Alcohol Withdrawal (http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179624), you can see that alcohol addiction can become extremely dangerous.

However, ironically, if you do not have access to benzodiazepines for whatever reason, alcohol may be your only way out. You have to have extreme discipline and taper down your alcohol use until you get to the point you're drinking a very minimal amount and can stop.

Going "cold turkey" could be lethal. In fact delirium tremens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens), the most serious form of alcohol withdrawal has a 15% - 40% lethality rate [Wikipedia]. It can cause heart attacks, strokes, and other very bad reactions.

Powderbucket
08-30-16, 05:15 AM
I've been on SSRI's now for about 10 weeks. I haven't had an anxiety attach since I've been on them and I'm much happier and far more relaxed. Of course, it's not an immediate-acting solutions but it's really nice that I don't get anxiety anymore.

EDIT: Just saw now that you've just started Zoloft. That's great! I'm sure it will help you out. It's really done wonders for me. I took Seroquel at night before my SSRI's kicked-in but that's because my anxiety was limited to occurring at night.

BellaVita
08-30-16, 05:20 AM
Benzos were the best for my anxiety when I was prescribed them.

Nicotine patches work decent for my anxiety since it does lessen my ADHD symptoms and provides much better emotional regulation.

Also, I know this doesn't have scientific basis, but for some reason Reiki and bio-healing ASMR videos help reduce my anxiety.

C15H25N3O
08-30-16, 02:55 PM
Unbelievable how many different chemicals have success and how many different dysbalances can make anxiety.

aeon
08-30-16, 03:44 PM
Just saw now that you've just started Zoloft. That's great! I'm sure it will help you out.

I tried Zoloft/sertraline for anxiety.

It made me so spacey that I drove by the turn I do to go to work three times in a row.

It was like ADHD daydreaming x10. Well and truly awful.

It’s now printed on my prescriptions as an “Absolutely Not” med, along with Effexor/venlafaxine and Lexapro/escitalopram.

In my experience, the effects of SSRIs and SNRIs range from nothing to some flavor of horrible.

May others have more fortunate outcomes with them.

Cheers,
Ian

theonlylevi
09-26-16, 02:42 PM
What type of medication are you taking(if any) to help with ADHD symptoms? I didn't see anything with respect to that.

As far as things that aren't benzos for anxiolysis you could try kava-kava as it is a pretty effective GABA receptor agonist which helped in the past for my anxiety moments. Aside from that I am not sure of much of anything aside from what was already mentioned.

I know that from time to time I take Propanolol for blood pressure and it seems to have a kind of calming effect to it. Beta-blockers are known to cause some anxiolysis. I know for me the lack of a pounding heart helped with taking it down a notch.

Maybe practicing an engagement to help bring you away from the panic and back to earth. Something like this (http://www.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSJJJmGurzvAqsHyJBEqmBEt%25 cScabd%25cSpBHAGqBJA-GrpuAvDHr-CErFrAG-zBzrAG%25cS) or very similar.

vanillavirtue
12-12-17, 03:24 AM
Straterra's off uses is for anxiety. It's used to treat ADD mainly though but can be used for anxiety

allesandro1
12-12-17, 01:40 PM
Citalapram or Celexa seems more efficacious in addressing anxiety, and for some people Clonidine, which is an antihypertensive used for hyperactivity in people with ADHD seems very helpful. Antihistamines also are helpful for some people. Some people report positive effects from chammomile tea