View Full Version : employment/disability/insurance advice needed

fibonaccigirl
08-15-16, 12:50 AM
I currently work as a full time nanny and get paid under the table. My husband was previously working 2 jobs but quit one of them and is attending college this fall. Because of the hit to our taxable income, we decided to pursue making my job a legit income. (boss is on vacation, so we haven't ironed things out yet)

I've also been shopping for a new insurance plan because I'm aging out of my parents coverage in September. In applying for insurance, they ask about your job and income, and then if you qualify for disability. I'd never thought about applying for disability before, but after reading the requirements, I think I'd have a solid case.

So....
Would it be more beneficial to claim disability and keep my nanny gig under the table? The main reason I don't have a "legit" job is ADHD and depression prevented me from completing any college degree.

I realize it'd take some serious paper pushing, but if it helps get a better insurance plan, or helps pay for a better insurance plan, it'd be worth it.
Anyone with insider knowledge or experience? :confused:

Cyllya
08-16-16, 01:35 AM
You're asking us if you should commit disability fraud. I don't think anyone's going to say yes to that, even if it were possible to make more money that way. (Plus, if you get caught, besides a criminal record and possibly jail time, you will be ordered to pay restitution (https://oig.ssa.gov/audits-and-investigations/investigations/may11-illinois-fraud), i.e. give the money back.)

I think there are some ways that you can (legally) get disability-related benefits while working, if you have a small income. If not actual funds, you could probably get at least Medicaid or Medicare.

sarahsweets
08-16-16, 06:01 AM
No disrespect but I find it highly insensitive and offensive that you would think so little of the disability system that you would look at it as bonus money and hide your income.

TurtleBrain
08-16-16, 06:10 AM
Ditto to what others said

By the way, obtaining a degree doesn't guarentee a "legit" job. Getting a job has more to do with who you know than what you know. I learned that the hard way and still haven't found a permanent job to even start paying off my student debt. Lucky for me I live with my dad who makes enough income to survive.

You might have more of a social life than I do, but please don't spoil that gift with dishonesty.

I looked into about how to get disability and I found that you actually need to have been working for a certain length of time and have documented evidence you lost your job to a disability. I only worked for eight months, that apparently wasn't long enough.. No wait, the time length, thats for unemployment compensation, nevermind. I'm sure they look into that too though.

Laserbeak
08-16-16, 08:08 AM
Depending on a number of factors, you may actually come out ahead by making it all legit. It may just be your employer who doesn't want to pay Social Security tax for you. And you might still qualify for some benefits such as Medicaid.

Little Missy
08-16-16, 08:20 AM
Did I miss that you have ADHD?

spamspambacon
08-16-16, 09:47 AM
A couple of things:

1. You are quite happy to think of committing federal felonies, and you are a NANNY to children? Does your job involve your influencing their moral behavior in any way?

2. The system doesn't work the way you think it does.
You must have worked a certain number of years and pay INTO social security. By working "under the table", you have screwed yourself right out of retirement income AND disability income, if you were eligible.

You see, not everyone can get social security when they retire or get disability. They must have PAID INTO THE SYSTEM each year, for x number of years. Go to ssa.gov (https://www.ssa.gov/) and get copies of your earnings reports. They'll tell you exactly what your retirement checks will be for. Yours will be for zero, if you've never held a proper job.

They'll also tell you what your disability checks would be for, if you become disabled now. Yours will be for zero, if you've never held a proper job.

So your employer is screwing you because he/she does not want to pay those taxes for you. 'Tis a shame you accepted this deal. I'd back out of it right now. Like today.

3. By your saying you cannot get a proper job because you didn't complete college flies in the face of the millions of people who work without a college degree.

Little Missy
08-16-16, 10:12 AM
I believe it is 40 quarters of employment for SSDI or SSI unless you are overrided by a debilitating condition and too old to live with your parents but completely incapable of working.

OP is in MI. You can get anything and everything medically and food-wise there on a low income.

Gaming the system? Not good ever.

Do you have ADHD?

So, why are you asking here?

acdc01
08-18-16, 09:27 AM
I think you've hit on a touchy subject here as many do actually need disability and find it disappointing to hear someone wanting to use it who doesn't actually need it. But don't let that scare you from listening to their advice or getting advice from this forum. The advice is good and people will forget about this post very quickly.

You are breaking the law in a way that's very easily traceable if you ever get audited someday as you're not going to be this person's nanny forever. You might even be keeping yourself from building a valid employment history though I'm not sure about that.

I'll say, I do know a lot of people who work under the table and haven't gotten caught but still, it's just not the risk for saving a little money. I'd make your job legit.

sarahsweets
08-18-16, 02:37 PM
I think you've hit on a touchy subject here as many do actually need disability and find it disappointing to hear someone wanting to use it who doesn't actually need it.
There are people stuck in appeals for eons- people that cant function and are denied, forced to hire lawyers for a legit issue! I refuse to sugarcoat my words or downplay my anger where the OP is concerned.

But don't let that scare you from listening to their advice or getting advice from this forum.
Well if this is the kind of advice she wants- how to be dishonest- then yes, be scared
The advice is good and people will forget about this post very quickly.

Maybe its easier for you and others to forget about this- maybe its because I am on disability-fighting the stigma that I am just lazy and want a free ride; I wont apologize for getting upset when someone comes to a support forum asking how to deceive and lie to get ahead.

acdc01
08-18-16, 02:50 PM
Sarahsweets,

I wasn't asking anyone to sugarcoat anything. I understand completely why you guys were reacting the way you were and you have every right and should have responded the way you did.

The OP is a newbie. This is their very first post. I didn't want them to be scared away from this forum because of the responses (even though the responses are definitely warranted).

I was just trying to explain to the OP that I find the advice here to be usually pretty good (including everything said on this thread). That if they post again on another topic, you'll find people to typically be very friendly.

Sorry if I didn't phrase that well.

Little Missy
08-18-16, 02:53 PM
It took FOREVER to get it done. I was CONSUMED by the amount of work I had to do.

If the OP wants advice, get in contact with your local DHS office.:)

That should nip it in the bud.

thaney
04-28-17, 11:28 AM
From what I understand, applying is practically a full time job in itself, and if you haven't worked (not under the table) for 10 (I think) years, you won't qualify.

I think talking to your boss when she returns about making your position a more legitimate/legal one is a great idea!

lntense
05-16-17, 11:41 AM
You're asking us if you can do disability fraud, while stacking cash under the table. If you're in fact disabled then how can you be a nanny? Hmmmm.. This is where taxpayer dollars go.

This type of **** infuriates me. So no comment.

RextheDog
05-16-17, 12:15 PM
"I currently work as a full time nanny and get paid under the table. " - Sorry, but IMO, that's your first problem that needs to be resolved. Millions of hard working people pay their taxes each year. Ya know?