View Full Version : New to adderall. A couple of questions.

Ashnurse22
08-15-16, 05:46 PM
I started treatment about two and a half weeks ago. I'm on 20mg xr Adderall.I have a couple of questions and I'm curious as to what input you all may have.

My Dr said I may be able to quit smoking once I get treatment because I won't have the need to self medicate as much, but I've wanted to smoke more. Any ideas on how to quit smoking and why this is happening?

Secondly, yesterday I decided not to take my meds because I wasn't working and didn't have any plans. I was a basket case all day! Do you take your meds every day?

Of course I'll bring this up with my MD as well, but I thought I'd see if you had any advice.

Bluechoo
08-15-16, 08:08 PM
I take my meds nearly every day. ADHD interferes with my ability to do the things I enjoy; it's not just a study drug.

I quit smoking over 2 years ago, and I was not being treated at the time. I stopped cold turkey and started exercising intensely. I focused on how ill they made me feel and imagined every cigarette was a dollar bill that I was lighting up (and might as well be with today's prices).

I really wanted to quit for a long time, and made several attempts before the last/longest time (so far, knock-on-wood).

Laserbeak
08-15-16, 10:37 PM
To tell you the truth, I think Dexedrine (pure dextroamphetamine) is better than Adderall, but since you just started Adderall, I'd continue it for a while. But if you feel too jittery or jumpy from it, you may want to ask your doctor for Dexedrine.

As far as stopping smoking, the best drug for that is probably bupropion, you may look into asking your doctor for a prescription for that for an anti-depressant. There's also another drug Zyban that has exactly the same ingredient that is marketed for stopping smoking, but the insurance companies usually won't pay for it so it's better to get bupropion (Wellbutrin).

sarahsweets
08-16-16, 12:20 AM
I dont know why its so hard for me to stop smoking while on amphetamines, although being an alcoholic in recovery I also know that I dont want to very much yet either.
As far as taking meds everyday...you have adhd everyday and in order for it to be diagnosed it has to impair your life in 6 or more ways. So that means it would impair all areas of your life and require treatement. I just recently came from a med break (nt by choice) and I will say it was very rough going and I was miserable. It was about two weeks and I only started to come around this past weekend. Thankfully I am back to normal today.

Little Missy
08-16-16, 08:34 AM
A person I knew took Wellbutrin and he was a smoker and it just didn't make him want to smoke at all after awhile.

While on stimulants though, he smoked like a maniac.

If they hadn't ruined the taste of cigarettes with that anti-continue to burn- stuff, I'd still be smoking. I loved it.

diagoro
08-17-16, 10:08 AM
Definitely agree with the prior comment, you need to develop a proper, daily, regimen to fully diagnose how well they work. I would consult with your doctor about taking a 'med holiday'. I take lesser doses on weekends, to reduce the side effects and get at least one day of proper sleep (they tend to build up over a few days).

futureprof
08-17-16, 11:00 AM
I take my meds every day, and I have found that the side effects have diminished over the past 8 months. I take a different med, but it has a similar effect. When I had to go without the medication for a diagnostic test, I, too, was a basket case. You're not alone!

Regarding quitting smoking, I found it helpful to switch to vaping for a short time, then was able to give it up when I started replacing smoking with exercise. Seriously, physical activity will keep you motivated to not smoke, and the progress you'll see is immediate, which is very helpful for us ADHD folks. :)

It has always bothered me that recovery tends to encourage people to embrace smoking and caffeine, both of which ramp up stress and anxiety. I'm sure you can find some friends who have quit smoking who can support you, but I know from my experience in the rooms (I no longer participate in 12 steps) that there's a tendency to dismiss smoking as something to worry about later.

sarahsweets
08-17-16, 11:53 AM
It has always bothered me that recovery tends to encourage people to embrace smoking and caffeine, both of which ramp up stress and anxiety. I'm sure you can find some friends who have quit smoking who can support you, but I know from my experience in the rooms (I no longer participate in 12 steps) that there's a tendency to dismiss smoking as something to worry about later.

Wow, I havent met anyone who has implied that smoking is good or helps with stopping drinking. As for caffeine..I doubt AA has much effect on the thoughts of us Americans who are inundated with coffee ads.
It has always bothered me when other sober people imply that recovery encourages people to continue unhealthy behaviors when its more about harm reduction. I agree that exercise can eventually meet the smoking need but the effects are not immediate and take time and consistency to benefit from. I need to get back on the exercise horse and there is no way I could jump back into running three miles

Ive seen many people gain 20-30lbs when they first stop drinking..no one rides their as+ about it because that group deals with alcoholic problems.

Jon Snow
08-28-16, 10:40 PM
I started treatment about two and a half weeks ago. I'm on 20mg xr Adderall.I have a couple of questions and I'm curious as to what input you all may have.

My Dr said I may be able to quit smoking once I get treatment because I won't have the need to self medicate as much, but I've wanted to smoke more. Any ideas on how to quit smoking and why this is happening?

Secondly, yesterday I decided not to take my meds because I wasn't working and didn't have any plans. I was a basket case all day! Do you take your meds every day?

Of course I'll bring this up with my MD as well, but I thought I'd see if you had any advice.

Amphetamines speed up your heart rate.

Cigarettes slow down your heart rate.

That's part of the reason why smokers crave cigarettes more often when they're on Adderall.

It's more complicated than that (dealing with nicotine receptors in your brain and how they're stimulated while you're on adderall, etc.) but that's 1 reason.

If you take medication every day now measure how many cigarettes you smoke while you're on the stimulants and slowly but gradually decrease your count from there.

Also your psychiatrist might not be fully equipped to help you with this.

Value his input but look for advice/consultation from people that have experienced what you're going through right now and maybe talk to someone who specializes in quitting cigarettes.