View Full Version : Adderall & Instruments

Shoesalad
08-17-16, 04:03 AM
So, I've been playing guitar since I was in the second grade, started out in classical and somehow finally ended up in Bluegrass and Folk. I love playing both so much but my struggle with improvising and taking solos became frustrating to say the least. I'd spent hours and hours practicing, trying to get better at doing these, "off the top of your head" parts to songs but could never get the hang of it. Then about 4 months ago I was finally able to move forward with a prescription for Adderall for my ADD. After I began taking these pills, it felt like someone lifted the fog out of my head and the weights holding down my fingers as I'd try to play. It was almost miraculous. I was finally able to do the things I'd been working at in guitar for all of that time, not to mention picking up new skills along the way.
Here's where my dilemma kicks in. I feel guilty about the way this happened. Yes I put work in (1-2 hours a day in the summer) but it feels like I've cheated in some way. Anyone else have experiences like this? Thanks.

namazu
08-17-16, 04:08 AM
Totally not cheating!

You said yourself that you put in the work, and now you're reaping the benefits.

Adderall couldn't jam to save its life ;) -- it just helps prevent your ADHD symptoms from interfering with your abilities.

Keep up the good work, and enjoy the music!

Bluechoo
08-17-16, 09:51 AM
Absolutely not. I've been playing since highschool (over 17 years now). I have always been gifted with a natural talent for things with 6 strings attached to them. But I never felt truly free to express myself with the instrument until I discovered medication.

I would not be able to play the guitar the way I do now if it weren't for adderall. In the day-time, I am working or doing other things I enjoy that I can't do so well when I'm baked (such as reading). Playing the guitar on adderall is very enjoyable, ableit extremely technical. In other words, when I'm on adderall alone, I work really hard developing my skills, coming up with new chord signatures, solos, practicing new fingering techniques, etc.

Then, at night, I pick up the guitar and go into more of a creative flow state, not focusing so much on technique or being perfect, but letting more creative things just flow.

In the day, adderall helps me build layers of technique and see deep musical patterns I would be unaware of if I weren't medicated.

My guilty feelings about it or nonexistent. The drugs helped me learn how to be the player I am today, and if you took all my drugs away, I would still have everything I learned.