View Full Version : Non-Stimulant ADHD Medication

cwf1986
08-17-16, 03:40 PM
I was wondering who has managed to do this and how they got there.

I'm going to throw a few questions in here simply to help start and guide the discussion, but please feel free to add anything that may so much as only be remotely related because it might actually be a something to someone other than you.

If you don't feel like answering all these questions, that's cool too. Just add what you feel like adding. I understand we can all get really busy :)

1. What are those meds?

2. How did you end up with those meds?
a. Did your doc just say take these and you did what the doc told you to?
b. Did the sides of the stims chase you away?
I. Which sides?
II. Are there different sides for the non-stim med?
c. A desire for 24/7 relief?
d. Was it drug addiction?

3. How satisfied are you with the results?
a. If you took a stim, does non-stim treatment work as well for adhd?
I. If not, how close did you get and which particular adhd issues are left the least resolved?

spamspambacon
08-17-16, 04:23 PM

I'm going to throw a few questions in here simply to help start and guide the discussion, but please feel free to add anything that may so much as only be remotely related because it might actually be a something to someone other than you.

If you don't feel like answering all these questions, that's cool too. Just add what you feel like adding. I understand we can all get really busy :)

1. What are those meds?

I. Which sides?

I. If not, how close did you get and which particular adhd issues are left the least resolved?

1. Straterra
2. Doc refused to prescribe stimulants -thinks everyone is addicted.
a. I ASKED for Straterra, so I'd be taking SOMETHING for my ADHD.
b. I felt overheated the first few days & I bailed out taking it, but went back to taking it out of "desperation." That side affect lasted mere days and is gone.

3. Straterra has a *1* MAJOR benefit I did NOT get on Adderall. Otherwise, Adderall, IMHO, is better every other way.

On Straterra, I am tending to do all the little followup tasks that I would normally have put off. If I need to send an email, instead of waiting until I check email, I open Outlook, write the email and send it. Done. Before, I would've procrastinated in order to do something "more exciting."

I don't get hyperfocused on Straterra. Nor do I initiate projects.
I don't get into detail in anything. I'm bland. Boring. I have no interests (wait, I have depression, so I have to be careful here)
Adderall would've helped me to become interested in things, but Straterra does not.

Overall, I would like to take Straterra with a daily side dose of Adderall.

cwf1986
08-17-16, 04:26 PM

1. What are those meds?

I. Which sides?

I'll start.

1. 100mg Nortriptyline and 0.2mg Clonidine.
Nortriptyline can work for adhd in similar way to strattera because it is selective for NRI. However, it also has antidepressant and anti-anxiety components due to histamine, anticholinergic, alpha receptor, mild SRI, and 5ht2a antagonism. I do understand that some of that is debatable and the extent to which each property has anti-depressant/anxiety effects is largely unknown.

2. I started nortriptyline for issues totally unrelated to depression or anxiety. I started it for nervous stomach syndrome. Basically meaning, the docs couldn't diagnose my stomach sydrome despite a battery of tests and procedures. Amitriptyline was intolerable because of brain fog and sedation. I told the doc that it helped for anxiety some and over time, the dose got bumped up because then it started helping with depression. I noticed it helped for energy, motivation, and adhd symptoms at a moderate dose so I asked about another dose increase and now I'm at 100mg. Tried 125, but no better effect and terrible sides. 100mg is my goldilockes zone.

I asked about clonidine myself because the vyvanse I was taking at the time was raising my blood pressure and I wanted to try clonidine since it's FDA approved for adhd. The doc thought it was a good idea.

I was still taking vyvanse 50mg when I first started these doses. The vyvanse came before the highest nortrip dose and before the clonidine. I then had a nasty cold and didn't want to take amphetamine since I was already having cold sweats and I thought to myself, "Hey, I'm following tv shows and conversations just find and I don't feel so restless. This is working without the stimulant!"
I wanted to get off the stimulants because it does cause some irritability and agitation (different from anxiety and different from restlessness to me). Also, I hate the Up and high, then down and crash cycle. The buzz the first week of taking the stims is nice, but after that it gets old quick. Also, the sweating, joint aches, insomnia, and muscle tension was bothersome. Some of those I didn't even realize were sides of the stim until I quit it.

I also love the 24/7 relief. Even in my sleep, I was restless and toss and turned. But given adhd relief at even night means my sheets and covers aren't everywhere and my dog will sleep in my bed now haha.
The nortrip causes halos around street lights at night to be exaggerated and the numbers of digital clocks from several feet away to be blurry. There's also mild-moderate dry mouth.
Initially, the clonidine caused some morning sedation in addition to what it did at night. But that went away after about a month. Also, it only helped with restlessness at first. But then later started to help with working memory and helped me tune out irrelevant stimuli to a task at hand. Reducing the need for a med like a stim to ramp up the focus signal.

3. How satisfied am I?
Pros:
It's very nice to be stim free because of those sides. The stim had a way of making me tense when focusing which could leave dead tired when it wore off if I had a lot to do. I was also a little bit of a jerk with the vyvanse at peak effect. That doesn't happen with the nortrip/clonidine combo.

It doesn't take as much energy to stay on task compared to taking the stim. I suppose you could say I have better mental stamina now because of that.

Attention is actually better than with the stim because it's easier to switch focus when need be.

24/7 coverage!!! I wake up and no more fog! I get ready for bed with no fog!

The nortrip helps give me energy and motivation and a sense of purpose through it's activating properties, but also less rumination and worry and peace of mind through its anxiolytic properties.

The clonidine helps me sleep at night by relaxing my mind and muscles more soon after I take it

Cons:
Motivation and Drive. I just don't have the get up and go I really need. The nortrip helps some compared to not being medicated, but I'm not quite where I feel I should be.

Working Memory. It is better than being non-medicated by far. But again, not quite where I feel I should be.

Solutions to Cons to Speak to Psych about:
I see one of two options. Switching to desipramine which is a more activating tricyclic antidepressant, but has fewer anxiolytic properties. Or adding wellbutrin to take the place of the stim.

I'm leaning towards wellbutrin because I've tried it before and I know it does a really good job with working memory, motivation, and drive. It also doesn't give me any sides. At least when taken without a stimulant. I also don't want to give up the anti-anxiety properties of the nortrip. Its just wellbutrin never did much for attention so I went with the stim. But I've got that covered now. So I think it will nicely complete the puzzle for me.

If you don't want to get this detailed, again, that's totally cool.

spamspambacon
08-17-16, 04:43 PM
I'm leaning towards wellbutrin because I've tried it before and I know it does a really good job with working memory, motivation, and drive. It also doesn't give me any sides. At least when taken without a stimulant. I also don't want to give up the anti-anxiety properties of the nortrip. Its just wellbutrin never did much for attention so I went with the stim. But I've got that covered now. So I think it will nicely complete the puzzle for me.

I'm on Wellbutrin, as well. 150mgs. I have only been on it about 4 weeks.

What dose did you find Wellbutrin effective at, and how long did it take for the effects to be noticeable?

cwf1986
08-17-16, 05:11 PM
150mg XL fixes depression for me. It takes 300mg XL to help with any adhd symptoms to an appreciable level. That is, without any other meds in the mix.

I'm going to ask about starting at 150mg since the nortrip is already activating.

It starts working for me from day 1 at about half strength. It feels like a mild stim to me, but with less adhd symptom help and more of the mood boost and motivation feeling of a stim relative to one without the sides. But the first few days, it actually hurts my working memory. Full effects after about 5 weeks.

Some people I've spoken to don't notice a stim or activating effect and just start feeling better after several weeks.

Little Missy
08-17-16, 05:19 PM
I tried Wellbutrin but it makes me want to unzip myself from my body and run!

But lots of people do very well on it.