View Full Version : Fired from sales job

Jenn1202
08-17-16, 07:59 PM
I recently quit my programming job and decided to try working in other fields. I am currently off ADD meds for medical reasons. A couple of weeks ago I started working as a sales rep (cold calling) 2 days a week. A few hours ago my boss told me that it wasn't working out and fired me. To be honest I saw it coming and I honestly did my best, but it just wasn't enough. My boss said I was constantly distracting one of my colleagues and that I probably don't have a sales-type personality. He mentioned that I made a lot of progress over the past couple of weeks but he expected more (for the record, I never worked in sales before).

I feel like my ADHD made it relatively difficult to do well in this job. I was expected to sit at a desk 8 hours a day twice a week and make lots of phone calls. I found it relatively difficult to sit there and call people all day without having the ability to take long frequent breaks and talk to my colleagues. I would often get a bit hyper and talk to my colleagues a lot even though I knew it was distracting them. I just couldn't help itů

This job also required a decent amount of attention and organization (less than programming but still..). I had to effectively document what was discussed in some of the calls so that I could follow up with potential customers. I also had to remember what we discussed long enough to write it on a sheet of paper (which I often failed to do). A couple of times I gave leads the wrong phone number because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (instead of giving them my phone number I gave them the phone number of another lead :o). Needless to say, I screwed up a lot even though I tried really hard to do well.

Can anyone relate? Is it possible to have ADD and do well in sales?

yepimonfire
08-18-16, 09:59 AM
I recently quit my programming job and decided to try working in other fields. I am currently off ADD meds for medical reasons. A couple of weeks ago I started working as a sales rep (cold calling) 2 days a week. A few hours ago my boss told me that it wasn't working out and fired me. To be honest I saw it coming and I honestly did my best, but it just wasn't enough. My boss said I was constantly distracting one of my colleagues and that I probably don't have a sales-type personality. He mentioned that I made a lot of progress over the past couple of weeks but he expected more (for the record, I never worked in sales before).

I feel like my ADHD made it relatively difficult to do well in this job. I was expected to sit at a desk 8 hours a day twice a week and make lots of phone calls. I found it relatively difficult to sit there and call people all day without having the ability to take long frequent breaks and talk to my colleagues. I would often get a bit hyper and talk to my colleagues a lot even though I knew it was distracting them. I just couldn't help itů

This job also required a decent amount of attention and organization (less than programming but still..). I had to effectively document what was discussed in some of the calls so that I could follow up with potential customers. I also had to remember what we discussed long enough to write it on a sheet of paper (which I often failed to do). A couple of times I gave leads the wrong phone number because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (instead of giving them my phone number I gave them the phone number of another lead :o). Needless to say, I screwed up a lot even though I tried really hard to do well.

You could bring up the ADHD and ask for reasonable accommodation. An employer can't fire you because of a disability if you can perform the job with help. Why are you off meds?

badwolf616
08-18-16, 10:20 AM
yeah sounds like not the right job for you. move on and find something else. was the programming job not working either?

Little Missy
08-18-16, 10:21 AM
I have ADHD and worked in sales for years. The trick is you really and truly must LOVE what you are selling.

I was a waitress at fine dining with killer food and a great wine list. I loved it.

I also never worked more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. More than that and I did whatever I wanted which always turned into bedlam.

spamspambacon
08-18-16, 10:28 AM
Jenn,

I feel for ya'.

I've been fired from several jobs now. I'm 48, and this getting fired thing is getting old. (pun intended - hahaha)

I've become a network engineer (like yourself, working in IT), but it's been hard to break into the field. So I've tried other types of work, but suck at it.

So when I get fired, it comes as no surprise.

I tried telling one employer I have ADHD just a week before I got fired, but I still was let go.

It doesn't matter if you disclose or not. Employers will still let you go, or worse, keep you and make your life hell.

I know this doesn't answer your question(s), but I just wanted to say keep your head up and look ahead....you never know what's good things may lay around the next corner.

Socaljaxs
08-18-16, 11:00 AM
I've been in various types sales jobs for over 10 years... I have done telemarketing type sales like this job was, and I can tell you ADHD or not that
Type of sales is not for most people... I actually do not know anyone that truly loves the type of sales you did.. Sitting at a call center, calling over and over again and script Reading... For 8 hours a day no way no thank you...it's very difficult...it doesn't mean a sales position isn't right for you, just means this way of selling and the product/service isn't for you..

For me I like face to face plus phone calls and referrals ext when I'm getting lead.. Also whom you are selling to business to business buSiness to consumer ect inside/outside sales all are different
B]I recently quit my programming job and decided to try working in other fields. I am currently off ADD meds for medical reasons. A couple of weeks ago I started working as a sales rep (cold calling) 2 days a week. A few hours ago my boss told me that it wasn't working out and fired me. To be honest I saw it coming and I honestly did my best, but it just wasn't enough. My boss said I was constantly distracting one of my colleagues and that I probably don't have a sales-type personality. He mentioned that I made a lot of progress over the past couple of weeks but he expected more (for the record, I never worked in sales before).

Jenn1202
08-18-16, 11:29 AM
You could bring up the ADHD and ask for reasonable accommodation. An employer can't fire you because of a disability if you can perform the job with help. Why are you off meds?

I don't want to tell him I have ADHD because I'm not sure he'll understand and I don't really tell people I have ADHD. To be honest I think he's right.. I was distracting my co-workers. Disability or not, I made everyone around me less productive. Also, I tried to explain the situation without telling him I have ADHD (I find it hard to sit still for 8 hours unless I'm constantly talking to people... I have memory issues..), but he didn't seem to get it.

I'm off meds because of medical issues (I suffer from heart palpitations/premature beats and stimulants often make them worse). My health seems to be getting better so I'm thinking of giving ADD meds another try sometime in the near future. It's just that I don't think that I'm actually going to be able to tolerate them so I'm probably going to have to find a way to function without them for the rest of my life :(.

Jenn1202
08-18-16, 11:46 AM
yeah sounds like not the right job for you. move on and find something else. was the programming job not working either?

Programming drove me crazy. Programming jobs often require you to sit at a desk and code all day. I constantly had to pay attention to what I doing. I would get internally distracted every few seconds and forget what I was doing. I could hardly get my work done even on meds (but I was on a low dose). I couldn't spend another second coding, so I ended up quitting comp sci.

Jenn1202
08-18-16, 12:04 PM
I also never worked more than 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I've been looking for a job that would allow me to work 3-4 hours at a time for a while now, but it seems like most jobs require 6-8 hour shifts :(.

Little Missy
08-18-16, 12:43 PM
I've been looking for a job that would allow me to work 3-4 hours at a time for a while now, but it seems like most jobs require 6-8 hour shifts :(.

I understand. I was always talking to the kitchen guys, the people at the bar and any bum that stumbled in the door. I was just fortunate because I was never late or sick and I worked really hard when I wasn't yapping with anyone I could find.

I hope you find something more compatible. :)

sarahsweets
08-18-16, 02:13 PM

DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR ADHD TO AN EMPLOYER-EVER. Just my opinion. Unless the disability was established, noted and accomodations were a part of the deal, you cant disclose something after there is already trouble. Yes, and I know disability laws are supposed to protect us- my experience is they find another way to get your as* out the door.

spamspambacon
08-18-16, 04:05 PM
I'm off meds because of medical issues (I suffer from heart palpitations/premature beats and stimulants often make them worse). My health seems to be getting better so I'm thinking of giving ADD meds another try sometime in the near future. It's just that I don't think that I'm actually going to be able to tolerate them so I'm probably going to have to find a way to function without them for the rest of my life :(.

I see by your signature that you've not tried Straterra. Maybe give that a try.

I've been on Straterra for 4 months now. I was on Adderall for 9 years (I don't have any health issues - I started seeing a new prescriber and she just hates Adderall :()

At first, I hated Straterra. Felt like it did s*** for me... but the longer I go on it, the more I'm seeing that it DOES work.

Maybe give it a chance?

Jenn1202
08-18-16, 11:31 PM
I see by your signature that you've not tried Straterra. Maybe give that a try.

I've been on Straterra for 4 months now. I was on Adderall for 9 years (I don't have any health issues - I started seeing a new prescriber and she just hates Adderall :()

At first, I hated Straterra. Felt like it did s*** for me... but the longer I go on it, the more I'm seeing that it DOES work.

Maybe give it a chance?

I've heard that Straterra can potentially cause more serious heart issues (e.g. long QT) and since I have heart palpitations I don't want to risk it.

anonymouslyadd
08-19-16, 11:22 PM
DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR ADHD TO AN EMPLOYER-EVER. Just my opinion. Unless the disability was established, noted and accomodations were a part of the deal, you cant disclose something after there is already trouble. Yes, and I know disability laws are supposed to protect us- my experience is they find another way to get your as* out the door.
:goodpost:

It is never a good idea to disclose your ADD to an employer unless you're on the verge of being fired. Even then, it's a last ditch effort to save your job.

acdc01
08-20-16, 07:56 AM
Would an IT troubleshooting job work well for you? Though I must say, they seem to work night hours sometimes when they have to shift servers and stuff which wouldn't be for me.

Off-topic but my coworker disclosed and it undoubtedly kept her from being laid off and she ended up getting the top performer award later on. I've disclosed and it's been mixed but overall, I'm better off.

I think in most situations it's a bad idea to disclose but there are always exceptions in my opinion.

At your previous job, you could have disclosed if you wanted to buy time to find a new job or if you needed accommodations you couldn't get without disclosure . You knew you were going to be fired anyway so you had nothing to lose except potentially word leaking out in the industry that you had adhd. But it's not like you couldn't switch industries easily anyway so that wasn't a big deal. I'll say, it sounds like you are better off without that job that's not right for you anyway so doesn't really matter but it's something to consider if you end up in a situation like this in the future.

salleh
08-20-16, 03:36 PM
I simply cannot imagine working at either jobs you are talking about ....{{{{{{shudder}}}}}}}

2 pieces of advice .....

1) Get the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?"....it will open your mind as to what ind of job you are most suited for, and a whole bunch of other stuff ....it can be found for pennies on Amazon ....just be sure to get one from the last 5 years or so ( it's been around an updated constantly) it will require you to really think about the choices you want to make ....it's not just a read it book, but even then it's helpful ...

2) if you live in an area with a good sized population, check out Craigslist .....srsly .....there are a lot of jobs in the big areas, where you used to look in the newspaper, now you check out Craigslist ...and you just might run across something weird and wonderful that is perfect for you .....

*disclaimer* ....I know that Craigslist has gotten some bad press lately, but for the amount of information, goods, products, jobs, gigs etc, that it sends out, it does a magnificent job .....you just have to be smart about who you interact with there .....I have met dozens and dozens of people while I looked for a place to live and a car to drive over the past more than 20 years .....it took winnowing to be sure, but I have gotten cars and places to live because of Craigslist .....

Jenn1202
08-20-16, 10:29 PM
Would an IT troubleshooting job work well for you? Though I must say, they seem to work night hours sometimes when they have to shift servers and stuff which wouldn't be for me.

I'm a night owl, so the night thing shouldn't be an issue.. The thing is that IT jobs require a lot of patience and the ability to sit there and figure out the cause of the problem, right? I've tried helping friends and family with computer related problems and I just couldn't sit there and try to figure out what the problem was. If IT jobs are anything like helping friends and family with PC/internet related problems, I don't think I can do this.

acdc01
08-20-16, 11:32 PM
I'm a night owl, so the night thing shouldn't be an issue.. The thing is that IT jobs require a lot of patience and the ability to sit there and figure out the cause of the problem, right? I've tried helping friends and family with computer related problems and I just couldn't sit there and try to figure out what the problem was. If IT jobs are anything like helping friends and family with PC/internet related problems, I don't think I can do this.

I don't work IT but I've been helped by them and that does seem to be part of the job so maybe not for you.

What'd you think of the in-person sales rep thing others suggested? If you like to talk and move around, I'd think that would be suited for you if your personality is good for that type of sales too.

madmax988
08-22-16, 01:41 PM
Can totally relate,sedentary jobs (atleast for me)backfire in a nasty way and I get so over stimulated I forget sleeping and go into "the zone" where Im hyperfocused and overanalyze anything and everything.I've been applying at interesting places where work is less sedentary and more active,it really helps when you search for work with atleast 40% of your area of interest.Im running sheer out of luck though,no-one (literally) seems even remotely interested to schedule interview let alone hiring me.Its getting more like that slot machine gambling where you keep putting coins in applying and hope it works out.
Incase I drifted off topic (like i do mostly)I apologize :P