View Full Version : Creative Tipping for Services Received

Unmanagable
08-18-16, 11:57 AM
Outside of wait staff in restaurants, I rarely tip people with cash. Instead, I like to share home grown goodies, home made goodies, crafty things I've made, or some type of item I find while thrifting that I know would be of use/interest to them.

Today was massage therapy day and I shared a spaghetti squash, a bag of cherry tomatoes, a snack bag full of black grapes, and some magnets I crafted using their business card.

I do the same for mechanics, repair technicians of any kind, thrift shop owners, my chiropractor, etc.

It feels like it personalizes the connection a bit more and makes it just a bit more special. There are times, of course, when I don't want to personalize the connection, nor is a tip of any kind warranted.

Curious to know if others get creative in tipping for services you receive, and if so, what kinds of things do you offer up?

sarahsweets
08-18-16, 02:15 PM
My husband is a Legal MJ grower in CA (no I am not saying give out weed ;)) but she also grows lavander. She sends me bags of it sort of.. like dried up bits and I buy those cloth bags for people to use to freshen their car or drawers.

Lunacie
08-18-16, 03:02 PM
I like this idea. I've been knitting hats for homeless for a couple of years and often have a small ball of yarn left that I make cup cozies out of, decorated with interesting buttons. Maybe they'd make good tips?

Little Missy
08-18-16, 03:06 PM
I like this idea. I've been knitting hats for homeless for a couple of years and often have a small ball of yarn left that I make cup cozies out of, decorated with interesting buttons. Maybe they'd make good tips?

For sure! You made it, you gave it, it would be a lovely gesture.

acdc01
08-18-16, 03:48 PM
Not me. I'd never get around to making it.

Plus, I have a hard time figuring out what others want. I can see my gifts being the same as grandma's gift sweaters where she takes such care making the gift but then the receiver looks at it smiles, and thanks her but inside is thinking "oh god, what am I going to do with this god awful looking sweater".

I know the love of money is universal lol.

Fuzzy12
08-18-16, 05:55 PM
I think it's a lovely idea but I wonder about the practicality of it. I'm not sure everyone would appreciate it as much as money... :scratch:

Little Missy
08-18-16, 06:49 PM
I think it's a lovely idea but I wonder about the practicality of it. I'm not sure everyone would appreciate it as much as money... :scratch:

outside of restaurants

Unmanagable
08-18-16, 08:35 PM

Which is why I specified that I don't do it for everyone. :scratch:

I also actively ask for feedback in the process.

I try to be more of a 'mindful nurturing grandma' type in handing them things, rather than an annoying and 'overly doting grandma'. Homey don't play that. lol

The whole intuition/instinct thing pays off really well for me, and them, in my experiences, thus far.

And since I left my f/t job several years ago, I had to learn how to make money much less a part of my life, so I learned to get creative, hoping that folks would still feel they receive something of value when I have no cash to offer.

Over&Under
08-26-16, 08:37 PM
I've been known to leave books for a massage or two (autographed copies, no less).

I like to handwrite thank you notes.

I am an independent consultant for a company that makes various sorts of bags and jewelry and what not, and I give those to teachers and school folks.

I take fresh fruit when I take the train into the city for the needy I see on my walk.

I always offer any worker inside or outside my house cold water and snacks or lunch.

Unmanagable
08-28-16, 07:54 AM
I've been known to leave books for a massage or two (autographed copies, no less).

I like to handwrite thank you notes.

I am an independent consultant for a company that makes various sorts of bags and jewelry and what not, and I give those to teachers and school folks.

I take fresh fruit when I take the train into the city for the needy I see on my walk.

I always offer any worker inside or outside my house cold water and snacks or lunch.

I treasure handwritten notes. In today's hurried electronic world, they're so refreshing.

I'd like to see cities plant fruit trees and other edible plants in all the parks and such so hungry folks could have access each season. Instead of the labor intensive and expensive landscaping that's currently done just for looks. Grrrrrr

Fuzzy12
08-28-16, 08:12 AM
I treasure handwritten notes. In today's hurried electronic world, they're so refreshing.

I'd like to see cities plant fruit trees and other edible plants in all the parks and such so hungry folks could have access each season. Instead of the labor intensive and expensive landscaping that's currently done just for looks. Grrrrrr

That's such a brilliant idea :eek:. I absolutely love that. I can imagine that it would be fun for families or anyone really to pick fruit in parks. I've got fond memories of picking strawberries with my family as a kid.

Unmanagable
08-28-16, 08:21 AM
That's such a brilliant idea :eek:. I absolutely love that. I can imagine that it would be fun for families or anyone really to pick fruit in parks. I've got fond memories of picking strawberries with my family as a kid.

I really dig it, too!! :) I've shared it with our local and surrounding parks and rec departments, but they didn't seem very enthusiastic about it. There's some places currently where people are doing it anyway. Guerilla grafters grafting fruit trees and dropping seed bombs. Unfortunately, many city governments will go in and destroy what people plant since it wasn't approved by their processes. It's nuckin' futs.