View Full Version : I hate my job

EuropeanADHD
08-18-16, 01:08 PM
God, how I hate my job. I have to cry again. I hate every second of it.

Is anybody feeling the same way?

I really can't quit right now. I need work experience. Finding this job wasn't easy.

I hate it that I'm expected to signal problems - which is basically my role on the project - and then I'm punished for signalling them in the most diplomatic way possible (because signalling problems means being negative).

I hate it that when I solve problems - last weeks I discovered some problems with our software and the way to fix them, which isn't my responsibility at all - I'm criticized for that.

I hate that I do things below my level of competence. And that when I asked for a promotion, given that I received super good reviews and contributed to the company earning plenty of money, I was told it was rude of me even to mention that and to "focus on my private life", which was just rude, since I never talk about my private life with my bosses.

I hate the sexism, stupid comments by all the IT guys.

I hate it that I can be a victim - when I let others attack me for something I haven't done and remain silent - and feel like sh*t because of that or formulate my answer constructively, quoting facts and be accused of being "negative" and worsening the relationship with the team.

I hate it that when the doctor discovered a tumor in me two weeks ago and I told my boss I had to leave slightly earlier next day for important medical reasons - which shouldn't be a problem given that I did plenty of unpaid overtime in the last months, he had problems with that.

I hate every second of it.

And I hate myself for turning gradually into a negative depressive person again. I feel so tired I feel completely unable to smile now and pretend everything is ok.

sarahsweets
08-18-16, 02:08 PM
I get it, you need to put up with it...but not the extra abuse. Some of that stuff sounds a litte shady in an illegal way. personally Id be in the HR office filing something.

EuropeanADHD
08-18-16, 02:51 PM
I get it, you need to put up with it...but not the extra abuse. Some of that stuff sounds a litte shady in an illegal way. personally Id be in the HR office filing something.

Yeah, maybe it's better in the US, but here, turning to HR is asking for trouble. The company is always right, you're nobody and everybody is replaceable.

I'm trying to motivate myself to search for a new job but after I get back to the hotel in the evening (yes, I live in hotels), I'm so tired I can get to bed and read something online, nothing more.

Little Missy
08-18-16, 03:00 PM
Yeah, maybe it's better in the US, but here, turning to HR is asking for trouble. The company is always right, you're nobody and everybody is replaceable.

I'm trying to motivate myself to search for a new job but after I get back to the hotel in the evening (yes, I live in hotels), I'm so tired I can get to bed and read something online, nothing more.

I don't believe it is better or worse in the US. It seems as if no one is accountable anywhere and somehow it has gotten to where it encompasses all aspects upwards without a blink.

I would be wary of HR.

TurtleBrain
08-18-16, 03:52 PM
Can we switch places?

jk.... (1 minute later after actually reading the post....)..... ooooohhh... yeah that sucks.

Does a union exist for IT people? I dunno, but if there were one, that probably be nice.

SweetPotato
08-19-16, 04:11 PM
The realization that your post could have been written by me really hit hard.

Standing up for ourselves is common sense. Not so easy in the real world where retribution and retaliation show there ugly heads.

Having filed a grievance that took months and caused such an uproar I had wished I'd never filed but it was necessary. My work atmosphere was tumultuous months before and then afterwards.

Despise my boss but love my job. My boss dislikes me for superficial reasons and micro manages like a master. I've spoken to her but it's "just my personality".

Work on a resume, the one I've procrastinated with over two months. A job can suck the life out of you. Get a new resume or ...

I work with all women, it's so petty. I'm thankful to have a job with health insurance for my family but I feel overwhelmed and could lose it any day.

SweetPotato
08-19-16, 04:21 PM
Positive thoughts sent your way in reference to your tumor. Hope it's benign if there is such a thing as I'm not familiar with the medical aspect of tumors.

anonymouslyadd
08-19-16, 11:16 PM
I wish I could help you.

:grouphug:

thorfinnur
08-24-16, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I pretty much hate my day-job. My second job on the other hand is a life saver and keeps me feeling motivated :)

acdc01
08-24-16, 08:59 PM
I've been discriminated against myself and it feels absolutely miserable. Not only did the things he was doing to me feel terrible but that I wasn't standing up for myself made me feel bad too. Actually, I did go talk to hr and yes, they were clueless. But I still felt bad for dropping it after trying one time with hr and failing. I know I shouldn't feel bad for that but you can't help but feel that way.

I have a better boss now so I'm going to see if I can get things fixed somehow.

Yeah, getting another job is the best thing to do. Stress like this is really bad for our health so I hope you can get out of this situation soon. I hope your tumor isn't an issue too. Best wishes.

TotalChaos
09-06-16, 08:35 PM
I have made it my lifes goa to be the best at what I do.. everybody hates me for it.. I know your struggle, I have walked away from many jobs that were boring to the point of Excruciating.. I have hated every second of a job like you do.. you are not alone. I'm not going to say that I made the best decisions about many of these situations but I can offer a looking back type suggestion.. Quit ONLY if you have thought it through and do NOT do it spontaneously.