View Full Version : 45 yrs old and newly diagnosed with ADD

Jabbajaws71
08-18-16, 10:54 PM
I'm really glad these forum exist. It's difficult telling someone that you were recently diagnosed with ADD. All the details I told my doctor about my recall and dehavior led me to a Psychiatrist to be evaluated to see if I had ADD. Of course I went because I wanted to make sure I was fine but the diagnosis was truly enlightening. It helped explain some of the choices I've made. I've tried Stattera and now Concerta. I'm still searching for what works best for me and it's only been a few months. I figure since it takes me about 45mins to get to work why not listen to Audiobooks. I promise you I've listened to the same book about 6 times and still have to rewind to recall what they said. I'm sure there is a medication that will work wonderfully for me. Any suggestions?

Unmanagable
08-18-16, 11:35 PM
It tends to pretty much be a trial and error scenario for each individual. Wishing you the best in finding your best healing grooves. Welcome. :)

sarahsweets
08-19-16, 04:15 AM
I'm really glad these forum exist. It's difficult telling someone that you were recently diagnosed with ADD. All the details I told my doctor about my recall and dehavior led me to a Psychiatrist to be evaluated to see if I had ADD. Of course I went because I wanted to make sure I was fine but the diagnosis was truly enlightening. It helped explain some of the choices I've made. I've tried Stattera and now Concerta. I'm still searching for what works best for me and it's only been a few months. I figure since it takes me about 45mins to get to work why not listen to Audiobooks. I promise you I've listened to the same book about 6 times and still have to rewind to recall what they said. I'm sure there is a medication that will work wonderfully for me. Any suggestions?

Medication and treatment is very trial and error. There are no standard forms of treatment although medication is considered a "first line" treatment for adhd- along with IMO therapy.
I know that sometimes trying to force myself to make use of a certain amount of time in a certain way can be the wrong thing. Like you with driving to work- do you like and want to listen to books or were you just trying to use the time wisely?

Snoopy10
09-11-16, 10:56 AM
Drugs helped me in the beginning but it took awhile for my brain to adjust. In the beginning the drugs quieted my brain so much that there was nothing there at all. Then I started to realize there were things happening around me that I never noticed before because of my internal chatter. Now I literally see the world in a different way. I would say that adjustment took about 9 months.

Keep trying!