View Full Version : children's books

peripatetic
08-20-16, 03:09 PM
what are your favourites (that you remember or that you had for your own children)?

yes, i'm shamelessly soliciting a book list to work on for my child. i'm especially interested in books that feature strong women/girls and boys that aren't necessarily in "traditional" roles and that carry positive body images and messages. i'm also interested in books that include different cultures and that feature persons of colour and differently abled persons as protagonists.

my child is only nearing seventeen months, so this is a long term list. i have lots of things for her now, but there's an abrupt drop off after age three or so.

just curious if others have suggestions/favourites :)

cheers xx

psychopathetic
08-20-16, 04:32 PM
I have 2 children books that mean a lot to me.

One of them came from my aunt who's been a kindergarten teacher most her adult life...one year she gave me The Little Engine That Could (https://www.amazon.com/Little-Engine-Could-Original-Classic/dp/0448405202/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1471724661&sr=1-1) for christmas. It was hardcover, blue and really big. Much bigger then the rest of my other books...and I just loved it! I use to read it over and over haha...I'm not sure why, but I was just so in love with the thing.

I don't remember how I got the other book I loved but it was called...The Dinosaur Who Lived In My Backyard (https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Lived-Backyard-Picture-Puffin/dp/0140507361). It was just so charming...about how millions of years ago a dinosaur lived outside of a kid's yard. It made my imagination run wild...there was dinosaurs who probably lived everywhere in my town at one time! It had some really cute artwork too (I loved the dinosaur in the story!) and was just short, simple, a little bit silly, and just really cool!

There's also the Little Golden Books (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_19?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=little+golden+books&sprefix=little+golden+books%2Caps%2C283) you can always collect. They're usually very cheap, easy to find, and some of them are really quite charming little stories. I actually have a small collection of them. I use to like to pick them up once in a great while...and I mean, why not? They're so cheap! Sometimes they'll go for as cheap as $2.50 a book on amazon (and that includes 2 day shipping if you've got prime).

midnightstar
08-20-16, 04:35 PM
For me when I was a kid, I completely adored Animals of Farthing Wood.

This was the series I'd read night after night:

http://www.arranalexander.co.uk/ekmps/shops/macduffdave/images/showdown-the-animals-of-farthing-wood-book-15-buzz-books-gloss-hardback-1994-1507-p.jpg

Unmanagable
08-20-16, 06:05 PM
I used to love the interactive pop-up books and any book with any type of sensory experience involved. But I don't remember any titles. Makes me want to go seek a few out in the library now. :)

peripatetic
08-20-16, 06:08 PM
good reminder...i have a public library card and there are lots of libraries in my city...

midnightstar
08-20-16, 06:11 PM
One good thing about the series of books I used to read is that all the animals in there are different, for example there's blue foxes (for some strange reason that I never figured out) and there's the ordinary red foxes (just one example) and even though the blue foxes are portrayed as the "bad guys" in one of the stories one of them falls in love with the main character's daughter, idk if it's a series you'd read to E but that was the series I loved as a kid :)

psychopathetic
08-20-16, 10:34 PM
OH!
I FOUNDED THE PERFECTEST BOOK FOR LIL ITSY BITSY PERI THE 2ND!!!

I'm not quite sure it's a children's book per se...BUT...it is the number 1 book on a list I found...so it MUST be really good!

FINNEGANS WAKE (https://www.amazon.com/Finnegans-Wake-Classic-20th-Century-Penguin/dp/0141181265/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471746661&sr=1-1&keywords=finnegans+wake)

What list? Oh...it's number one on a top 25 most difficult books to read list!

:giggle:

What makes it challenging: There’s no clear plot — it’s all stream of consciousness, filled with idiosyncratic language, free association, and an overall attempt to capture the feeling of dreams. After seven decades, Joyce scholars continue to argue over what it all means.Excerpt: “Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe.”Happy to help!

:giggle: :giggle:

BellaVita
08-21-16, 12:23 AM
I love this thread!

One of my first favorites when I was small was "The Little Engine That Could" I just loved that so much, although now that I think back I'm not sure if it contains ableism. But I really did look forward to it being read to me.

I loved the book called Stellaluna by Janell Cannon and it was a pop-up book. It was a really beautiful book and comforting to me. (It's about a fruit bat)

My ultimate favorite was a book called Goodnight Moon written by Margaret Wise and illustrated by Clement Hurd. This book was amazing, in the book the little child says good night to the room, the moon, stuffed animal, and other things. I liked the comfort of the routine the book gave me - I also liked to copy the book and say good night to the things in my space. (Including the moon I'm sure :))
It was a great book for me that helped me wind-down and shut off my brain for sleep mode. It made me feel cozy.

Honestly this is making me want the book again to read to myself (or have husband read to me) before bed. :)

I loved those books also that let you feel different textures, open up little envelopes, peak behind "curtains" in the book to see what's there etc.

peripatetic
08-21-16, 12:40 AM
E loves flap books! She has a Seuss one that we read a few times a day. Along with hippos go berserk, pout pout fish, carry me, moo baa lalala, and good night San Francisco. Those are all board books and her current favourites. She also likes touch and feel "if I were a hippo", "if I were a fox", and chicka chicka boom boom...how could I forget those!

I need to get her pop up books.

Psycho: I already read philosophy to her, did more when she was tiny, but I personally find the first critique simple in comparison to finnegans wake. Also tough was 100 years of solitude. Everyone has the same damned name! Anyway, I'll read her Hegel instead, "the owl of Minerva spreads its wings only at dusk..." ;)

Hermus
08-21-16, 02:59 AM
I loved everything by Roald Dahl:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Matilda
The Witches

Next to that a lot of Dutch titles of which I don't know whether they have been translated in English. Mostly books for somewhat older children:

Paul van Loon, who writes children's horror stories that are way better than the Goosebumps series.
Jan Terlouw, whose book Oorlogswinter about a boy who helps an English pilot, who crashed his plane, hide from the Germans during Second World War is a real children's classic. It has been translated as Winter in Wartime.

And I really enjoyed The Little Vampire books by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg.

Oh, and if you want your child to read something when she's somewhat older Sophie's World is highly recommendable. An introduction to philosophy written in the form of a novel for children. I think it's mostly written for teens up from 12 years or something.

psychopathetic
08-21-16, 12:39 PM
Psycho: I already read philosophy to her, did more when she was tiny, but I personally find the first critique simple in comparison to finnegans wake. Also tough was 100 years of solitude. Everyone has the same damned name! Anyway, I'll read her Hegel instead, "the owl of Minerva spreads its wings only at dusk..." ;)

LOL :doh:

And here I thought I was being SO clever too! :lol:

julialouise
08-23-16, 04:02 PM
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day
Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch
Dr Seuss

those were some of my faves when I was young

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/32124.Best_Progressive_Childrens_Books

That link looks like it has some great diversity and representation in their books

A book about a transgender girl came out recently called "I Am Jazz"

DJ Bill
08-23-16, 06:30 PM
Little engine, Seuss books, later on black beauty, hardy boys, and my favorite of all time...summer of the jeep. There was another one called boy gets car that had a guy who rebuilt an old Star automobile in his backyard. Once I was in 7th grade all I wanted to read was stuff about mechanics and cars.

Probably not the books you were aiming for...but they were my favorites. What was that book about a steam shovel that dug a cellar hole and ended up being in it for all time as a part of a house(Furnace maybe)

stef
08-23-16, 06:34 PM
All i can think of is dr seuss
and those books by whoever wrote Where the wild'things Are
oh, and for later, Alice in Wonderland

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 01:20 AM
The giving tree
The Velveteen Rabbit
The lorax
Where the wild things are
Really Rosie
Brown bear, brown bear what do you see?
Goodnight moon
I'll love you forever ( a favorite)
Water babies
Go dog go ( i read it so much I could do it from other rooms, I think I still remember it and its been at least 13 years!)
Old Turtle
Miss Nelson is missing
There's a light in the attic.

Hermus
08-24-16, 02:36 AM
It's funny. I think I never really liked illustrated books. As soon as I could read I started to like book with text. Pictures apparently never were my thing.

julialouise
08-24-16, 04:18 PM
Shel Silverstein has great poem books

Goofycook
08-25-16, 05:13 AM
Ditto on shel silverstein. He he also wrote songs for dr hook and the medicine show. They guy is hilarious. I laughed so hard. He had to have ADD or something. Shel is not your nuero-typical children's writer. Every kid needs to be raised on Shel Silverstein and Dr Suess

Over&Under
08-26-16, 08:51 PM
I am going to totally back Shel Silverstein in this race with <i>The Missing Piece</i> and <i>The Missing Piece Meets the Big O</i> and, of course, <i>The Giving Tree</i>. Lots of good messages.

We also love Sandra Boynton.

Hug Machine - Scott Campbell

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (for an exploration of how should we read a text and parody and a lot of laughs)

I'll do a shelf check when I get home for more.

There's always the ones by Nancy Tillman. Wherever You Are, The Crown on Your Head, The Night You Were Born