View Full Version : losing weight with adhd meds, full fat diet ?!?

rox2710
08-21-16, 05:15 AM
My son was diagnosed with ADHD this year and I tried everything from changing his diet to giving him Omega 3 supplements every day to try and help him but nothing worked so with the school in my back about his behaviour every day I gave in and started him on medication. He started on the lower dose and everything was fine but it was waring off to soon so it was decided to up his medication. Again everything was fine at first but this tablet suppress his hunger and he has started to lose weight. The doctor told me to start him on a high calorie diet, full fat milk, full fat butter, full fat yoghurts but that is all she told me and i'm stuck on what to give him food wise as he is still not a big eater and leaves alot of food at tea time ? I would be very grateful for Any advice or suggestions as this is really starting to make me panic and worry. :( :confused:

sarahsweets
08-21-16, 10:52 AM
Protein shakes were a lifesaver for me and my kids. I used a quality protein powder and in addition to using full fat milk, I also added ice cream. This made it fun and tasty- but only after regular nutritious meals were eaten first. I used full fat yogurt, snacks like cheese and crackers, peanut butter etc. Basically the most bang for your buck calorie wise. A lot of people make the mistake of falling to junk food like fast food, sweets etc but it doesnt have to be that way.

Hermus
08-21-16, 11:29 AM
If it's really about the weight you might sneak in a candy bar or some other sugary treat that is high in calories a day. However, that should only be done after the requirements of proper nutrition are met.

Sarah's idea of protein powder also might be a good one. However, you should note that a lot of them are made for body builders that just want to add pure protein to their diets, without adding much calories. These consist mainly of proteins and artificial flavours and their instructions say to dilute them with water. The effect of this is that your son probably will feel full without necessarily having a high calorie intake. Exactly the opposite of what you want. The full fat milk and ice cream would indeed be a good combination. They add a lot of extra calories.

Another recipe that might be fun and that is a delicious calorie bomb, next to containing quite some minerals, is a peanutbutter-milk-banana smoothie.

Take 350 ml/12 oz of milk
120 gram/4,2 ounce of peanutbutter
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon of cacao powder

Put it all together in a blender. You can get approximately 2 portions out of it and it contains more than 500 calories/portion.

TheFitFatty
08-22-16, 04:13 AM
Eggs and nut butters are a good replacement for protein powders (they never agreed with my tummy).

Agree with the rest of the advice, lots of healthy fats and protein.

At the end of the day though, if he is still losing weight and you're concerned the odd bit of junk food won't hurt.

Does he tend to get hungry in the evening when his meds wear off?

rox2710
08-22-16, 07:12 AM
He doesn't seem hungry at all to be honest, the tablets ware off about 5 but he's still not eating properly. I think i'll try the recipe for the milkshake and see how we get on. I've put him on pack lunches at school so I can monitor what food he's eating so fingers crossed he starts to put weight on. Thank you everyone very much for all your advice, you've certainly put my mind at rest x

ADHDWife&Mom
08-22-16, 10:31 AM
I am no expert, we also just started with meds and are still trying to figure it out.

One thing that was suggested to me was that if a child is not eating well, it might help to switch from a long acting medicine to a short acting with two doses. The first dosage is given in the morning after breakfast. The meds should wear off by lunch time, the child should then feel hungry for lunch and then the second dose would be given after lunch. Ive been told it really helps to allow for the child to want to eat lunch but then still have the meds for afternoon work. The second dose should be worn off in time for dinner as well since most of the short acting meds work for 3-4hrs. Of course then you have to deal with the child taking meds at school but it would probably be worth it if it allows him to eat proper meals.

Again, this is just what I have been advised. We are still so new and my son does not take this at the moment. He is taking the long acting and has not had any issues with not eating but the meds arent really working well for him either. I am planning to give this a try when we go back to the doc for something new to try.

sarahsweets
08-27-16, 06:43 AM
He doesn't seem hungry at all to be honest, the tablets ware off about 5 but he's still not eating properly. I think i'll try the recipe for the milkshake and see how we get on. I've put him on pack lunches at school so I can monitor what food he's eating so fingers crossed he starts to put weight on. Thank you everyone very much for all your advice, you've certainly put my mind at rest x

I know adding another med isnt desirable but, in severe cases it can help, My son was 4 when he began meds and was always a little underweight. Because of how stimulants can affect your appetite and sleep, he was on trazodone for a period of time. It made him very hungry and he would want something to eat before bed, and in the morning had a good appetite. We only had him on it for a few years before his body sort of 'leveled' out.

EDIT- btw he is 20 now, 6'2" and slim, but a healthy weight. Just wanted to throw that in because some people say that stimulants stunt your growth.