View Full Version : New member Meds

Timcharles1
08-21-16, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, I was honestly looking for some help. I have dealt with add for as long as I can remember, ive been on adderall and absolutely hate it. I'm hoping for some help with a supplement plan, I.e when to take what and things like that. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am lost and desperately need the help, I've done tons of research and it's pretty mind boggling with all the supplements that are out there, some say work some say they don't. Thanks in advance for the help.

Timcharles1
08-23-16, 08:05 PM
I posted in this forum as a new member several days ago. I joined this blog for some help, as I am vey desperate.

Unmanagable
08-23-16, 10:47 PM
There's no one size fits all plan of any sort, unfortunately. Some peeps experience various levels of relief with fish oil. Perhaps they'll drop in and share some experiences.

I used it briefly and experienced a noticeable bit of cognitive clarity, but eventually stopped using all animal products. Hope you'll find your healing groove.

Glad you joined the community to learn more. Hop around the threads that most interest you and use the search engine to dive into specific topics of interest. There's a wealth of information......which can be both a blessing and a curse. lol Welcome.

namazu
08-23-16, 10:56 PM
Hi Tim,

Welcome to ADDF.

What was your experience with Adderall? And what aspects of ADHD are most problematic for you now?

There's a lot of marketing hype and very little scientific evidence to support most supplements. For the most part, you're better off spending your money on healthy food and things you enjoy.

Here's a run-down on diet and ADHD from the Harvard Mental Health Letter (http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=homepage&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.health.harvard.edu%2Fnewslett er_article%2FDiet-and-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder)...published in 2009, but really not a ton has changed.

There's still not a ton of evidence to support specific / general elimination diets, though some people may find that they personally feel/function better when not consuming certain foods, artificial flavors/colors, etc.

Fatty acid supplementation has some evidence to support it, and some members here have found it helpful. Some of the supplements marketed to people with ADHD contain a mixture of fatty acids, though you can also buy the individual ingredients off the shelf in most chain pharmacies or online.

Other supplements may contain caffeine or other herbal stimulants...which may help some people, though often with similar side effects (and more jitteriness/having to pee) than the stimulants prescribed for ADHD. Some are just vitamin supplements.

There are a number of medications for ADHD besides Adderall that you could consider if you're willing and able to give the prescription route another shot. Some of them are stimulants (like methylphenidate/Concerta/Ritalin or dextroamphetamine/Dexedrine) and others are not stimulants (atomoxetine/Strattera, clonidine/Kapvay, guanfacine/Intuniv). These all have their own quirks, but may also be worth a try if you're looking for relief.

Best wishes!

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 01:04 AM
Have you tried anything else other than adderall?

Timcharles1
08-24-16, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the reply, adderall wasn't horrible, I guess it was the feeling I got the day after, feelings of lethargy and what not. When I'm on adderall I actually fell like myself, I guess just didn't want to be reliant on it. But maybe it's time that I do.

sarahsweets
08-25-16, 04:50 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the reply, adderall wasn't horrible, I guess it was the feeling I got the day after, feelings of lethargy and what not. When I'm on adderall I actually fell like myself, I guess just didn't want to be reliant on it. But maybe it's time that I do.

Being reliant on medication is no different then being reliant on reading glasses.