View Full Version : Has anyone had a gastric bypass and has absorption issues with their medication?

Greendragon
08-21-16, 08:40 PM
Has anyone had a gastric bypass and has absorption issues with their medication? I only absorb about one half of any medication that I take due to a gastric bypass in 2010. I have just been recently diagnosed with ADHD and I am currently experimenting with the right dosage of Ritalin, what I find is and what my psychiatrist says is that I will probably have to take twice the normal dosage to get the medication to be as effective as it should be. I am just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and has any advice to offer.

caretothepeople
08-22-16, 09:18 AM
Wow great question. Unfortunately I dont have personal experience with this but I did get curious about it after reading your questions and did come across this that takes about medication absorption after gastric bypass. Maybe this has some info for you? http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/i-am-a-bariatric-surgery-patient-which-medications-are-recommended-and-which-ones-should-i-avoid

It might be wise to get the prescribing clinician (whoever prescribed you the Ritalin), let them know youre having surgery and ask them questions about how this might affect your regimen, side effects to look out for, or to have a discussion to see if it's right to evaluate meds and discuss other options. The surgeon doing your surgeon is another great person to speak with and hopefully they are aware of everything you are taking.

Best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 02:20 AM
I have had GB,and I tend to absorb things very quickly. This is why short acting meds do not work as well for me, as it cuts their half lives even more. I take adderall xr as if its an IR, so 3 times a day, This has worked for me. All meds I take I take in multiple smaller doses because taking them all at once, or in large doses doesnt work for me. PM me with any other questions. :)

Greendragon
08-24-16, 05:41 AM
Thanks so much for that I'm starting to take more doses and smaller intervals spread apart I hope that makes sense were just in the beginning phase I've only been taking Ritalin for two weeks now but it's really huge difference but I only absorb about half of what I take so I probably will end up taking more than the average person

Laserbeak
08-24-16, 06:01 AM
Very, very good question.

Should be stickied somewhere considering how many people are getting these surgeries these days. I have no idea how such a surgery would affect the absorption of drugs. It probably depends on the drug.