View Full Version : Not sure where to go with meds

ADHDWife&Mom
08-22-16, 10:23 AM
My son (10) has been trying Adderall XR. They started him on 5mg which we saw no effects at all. Then 10mg we saw no benefits but noticed he was a bit more agitated on it. We moved to 15mg and finally saw some benefits. He says it helps with focusing at school so he can get his work done. We have not seen any reduction in hyperactivity but have seen a large increase in aggression. He now seems to have a daily meltdown like he was a toddler again except now instead of tears it is yelling, throwing things, kicking doors, etc. When he did his ADHD evaluation they also diagnosed him with oppositional defiant disorder so its not like he didnt already have some of these issues but it was never daily and it was never where it seemed that he lost control of himself like now.

So the meds are helping but also causing some bad side effects. Ive had others with kids who use adderall tell me that if its working that he might be able to get used to the feeling and be able to deal with his short temper. I am worried though. I am not ok with my child being disrespectful to teachers and having screaming arguments with other students. Im not ok with him freaking out about not getting his way at home and calling his parents names and yelling and kicking doors.

From what I understand everything in the Adderall group is the same medicine it just has different ways of being delivered right? Does that mean all brands using this drug will give him the same side effects? Would the Adderall that isnt XR cause the same side effects? Should we skip over to the Ritalin group instead?

Pilgrim
09-06-16, 05:19 AM
I'm not a kid, but speaking from personal experience, that habbit of loosing your ****. You adapt, grow out of it, learn to deal with it.

Maybe you could coach him on this. Also look at dosage and metabolism. (Complicated but worth it)
When taking these medications understanding is key. Utube Dr Charles Parker on this, I think this guy nailed it. Goodluck

Bluechoo
09-06-16, 08:49 AM
How is his nutrition and hydration? A lot of people have to work on that when they start taking meds, because if either one is wanting for quality or quantity, the meds don't work as well and the side effects get worse.

ADHDWife&Mom
09-06-16, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. We kept with it I think what is actually happening is that its the crash when it wears off but we werent expecting it so early because he was taking XR. We've now determined that XR only last about 3-4hrs for him and then wears off and he gets crabby. Its tapered off quite a bit but we are still planning to switch to two doses of IR instead of 1 XR in hopes that it will eliminate the crash or at least delay it until after school

aeon
09-07-16, 01:18 AM
I would expect things to get worse on 2 doses of IR.

Talk to your doctor about doing 2 doses of XR for the needed coverage without the spikes and dips, and associated behaviors.

Cheers,
Ian

spamspambacon
09-07-16, 03:31 AM
I believe Ian's right.

When I was taking night classes (read: long ***** day), I was taking 1 XR in the AM and another XR in the afternoon (like 2-5pm-ish).

I didn't get the mood dips like you'll get on IR.

sarahsweets
09-10-16, 03:51 AM
My son (10) has been trying Adderall XR. They started him on 5mg which we saw no effects at all. Then 10mg we saw no benefits but noticed he was a bit more agitated on it. We moved to 15mg and finally saw some benefits. He says it helps with focusing at school so he can get his work done. We have not seen any reduction in hyperactivity but have seen a large increase in aggression. He now seems to have a daily meltdown like he was a toddler again except now instead of tears it is yelling, throwing things, kicking doors, etc. When he did his ADHD evaluation they also diagnosed him with oppositional defiant disorder so its not like he didnt already have some of these issues but it was never daily and it was never where it seemed that he lost control of himself like now.

So the meds are helping but also causing some bad side effects. Ive had others with kids who use adderall tell me that if its working that he might be able to get used to the feeling and be able to deal with his short temper. I am worried though. I am not ok with my child being disrespectful to teachers and having screaming arguments with other students. Im not ok with him freaking out about not getting his way at home and calling his parents names and yelling and kicking doors.

From what I understand everything in the Adderall group is the same medicine it just has different ways of being delivered right? Does that mean all brands using this drug will give him the same side effects? Would the Adderall that isnt XR cause the same side effects? Should we skip over to the Ritalin group instead?

A few things:
When it comes to adderall xr SHIRE is the company that makes the brand and all generics [global, Teva/Barr)except ACTAVIS. ACTAVIS becames available with its own patent I believe two or three years ago. I am not one to care or experience differences between brand and generics except with this med. I had the actavis brand once and felt so agitated, so out of control that I went back to my doc with the unused portion, turned it into her of my own free will, got a new script and a new pharmacy that uses a different manufacturer for its adderall xr. (global)
So I would start by looking at his bottle and double checking. If thats not the issue then I dont know if I would blame it on the meds necessarily, ODD can manifest itself mildly, and ferociously the next minute. Its unpredictable so having your son get meltdowns abruptly like that isnt completely out of the question.
I know for me, IR doesnt last long, and even xr doesnt last beyond 5 hours. Adderall xr is supposed to last 6-8 hours, not all day like some doctors insist. So if he needs all day coverage then one dose of xr might not be cutting it for him. I take smaller doses of xr multiple times a day. Sometimes this can interfere with sleeping in kids, so it would be worth discussing with his doctor.
Good luck, and keep your chin up.

ADHDWife&Mom
09-13-16, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the advice. We are going in to see a new doctor today. We had to leave our last one because he was not helpful and he was also quite rude in many cases. I am hoping for a better outcome with this new doctor. I will ask about two doses of XR vs two doses of IR.
As for the brands he is taking a generic, i'll have to check on the manufacturer.

ETA: I checked his bottle and it is ACTAVIS manufacturer. After we talk with the doc about what to try next I will check into finding a pharmacy with a different manufacturer if we stick with adderall generic. Thanks again

ADHDWife&Mom
09-14-16, 10:30 AM
Update:
The new doc is great so far. He was very helpful and gave us several options of meds to give a try. We decided to try a combo of Adderall XR 15mg in the morning as he has been taking but add a 5mg Adderall IR at lunch time. He said we might need to up the dosage but we should give this a try first. We dont want to add another XR at this point for fear of him having trouble sleeping at night and he doesnt have daily homework to deal with in the evenings yet either. It is an option though if the IR doesnt help.

ADHDWife&Mom
09-21-16, 09:31 PM
Another update: The Adderall XR in the morning and IR in the afternoon has really been working well. He is getting his work done at school. The other day the teacher told me that he was one of 4 kids in his class that was actually caught up on all work in time to watch a special video that she had. He was so proud of himself. He has always been behind on his work and it made him feel so good to actually accomplish this.
Everything isnt roses, he still has his issues with forgetting and disorganization and outburts BUT we are working on that. Our major concern at this point was really his ability to do well in school.

ToneTone
10-08-16, 08:24 PM
FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!

I just want to say how impressed I am that you guys found a different doctor. It's so easy to get trapped into passivity ... so easy to sort of assume that awkward communication with a provider is as good as it gets.

This son can be thankful for his parents ... And yes, this is the kinda guy you want leading the treatment... Someone who you sense "gets" your son and "gets" your worries and who's willing to try multiple meds over time ....

Thanks for updating us!

Tone