View Full Version : Which is Your Basic Nature ???

salleh
08-22-16, 05:12 PM
......Keeping in mind that a quiet or introverted person can be just as happy as any.....and that a boisterous person can be covering up ( or not) an unhappy nature ......down deep, and this is basic, not something caused by something bad or good that happened to you .....which is your intrinsic nature ?? are you a happy person or an unhappy person.....

A) .....Happy most of the time .....life's sucky moments can get me down, but when the bad passes out of my life, I'm back to being pretty happy again....I generally find life to be pleasing ....

B) .....Nothing keeps me happy for long ....I can have everything working for me and pffftttt.....not happy .....I generally find life to be a burden.....

.....I don't care if this makes it to the actual poll format ....which are you ? ....and if you so desire, do explain ....or show your work as we used to do in math class....

....Also, I don't have a clue as to whether you can change ( either from outside forces or from within ) from one type to the other ....

...If anyone has ideas on that .....do tell !

Hermus
08-22-16, 05:17 PM
It's not clear to me what the question is. Is it about being introvert or extrovert or about being happy or not. About introvert and extrovert, I'm an ambivert. When talking to people I'm quite introvert and it takes some time for me to really get comfortable and get talking. However, at the same time I know a lot of people in the place I live and I tend to go out a lot. So in some way I'm an extrovert as well I guess.

About happiness. Most of the time I'm happy to be not too unhappy. I think my mood is mostly characterized by some level of depression. However, it has been much worse than it is, so I've learned to be satisfied with the way life is.

Edit: The site was having difficulty, so I didn't see the poll at first. :o

midnightstar
08-22-16, 05:19 PM
For me with the happy or sad, it depends whether my brain's kicking my butt (if it is then I'm generally anxious and sad), if it decides to stop it then I'm generally happy :)

And I'm an introvert :)

stef
08-22-16, 05:28 PM
Overall, Happy introvert when things are going well :)
although i can be dvastatd by situations

Unmanagable
08-22-16, 06:30 PM
Just as happy as if I had good sense. :)

Trigger tripping potential remains iffy at times, as does ditch potential.

Still soak up energies like a freakin' sponge.

Working on being less absorbent. lol

peripatetic
08-22-16, 07:55 PM
overall i'd say i tend toward optimism, even idealism, provided i'm generally stable. i wake up before the sun rises most days and with quite a lot of energy, even now that i'm in my early forties. i think i'm naturally inclined to give things the benefit of doubt...including extending it to the possibilities of a new day. when i'm less well i'm less positive about pretty much everything, including self and others and potential in the world. in those times i have little to no resilience.

i'm an introvert who can play extrovert alarmingly well, but if i go for too long without enough of a break i end up needing three times the social break as i otherwise would've.

salleh
08-22-16, 09:24 PM
......I guess I didn't make myself very clear ......there's lots of stuff about introvert/extrovert around .....but what I am looking for is happiness/contentment ...( only just now thought of contentment as a kind of a synonym for happiness .....

...introvert/extroverts both can be happy and contented ....to me one has nothing much to do with the other .....

...What I am curious about is are you a happy/contented person ? ...or are you unhappy /dissatisfied ?

.....there's a study out ( read it once, stuck in my mind but have no idea where it came from .....it said that whether a great occurance in your life, winning the lottery or being in a car crash that caused you much physical damage ......has no real long term effect on your basic self .....people who win the lottery but are not happy people will revert to their basic selves after the euphoria has worn off .....just like someone who has been in a serious car crash will bounce back to being a cheerful person after the shock has worn off ....

....I know with my own story, I have been through some times so bad a soap opera wouldn't use it ....no one would believe it .....but when the bad things stopped happening .....even though it left me in a significantly worse off situation than before, I bounced back to being a pretty cheerful person most of the time .....

....the way the article was written, it sounded like that hypothesis holds true for everyone....and I was wondering if that's true .....

....while being a naturally chipper person is great for me ....I can't help but wonder ....those of us who are naturally dissatisfied with life is there any hope they can switch over .....?? seems like a raw deal to me .....

....I was told I was a happy baby and young child .....I also wonder if that time show what kind of nature you will end up with .....

psychopathetic
08-23-16, 12:16 AM
Man, this questions depresses me (haha can you tell already that I chose the cloud over my head option?).

I use to be so cheerful and happy all the time :(...I mean, I had my moments of course...but I've taken a real dive over the last 3 years in my attitude.

There's a light at the end of my tunnel...but it is taking awhile (or should I say...I'M taking a while. I'm slow to change).

I think I'm close to being more cheerful again...I just need a few changes. Namely a job, which I'm working on now...something super laid back and part time. That'll lead to me having a little bit of spending money again where I wont be so damned strapped. I think that's a huge reason over the years that I've become so depressed...I'm SOOO strapped for money anymore it's no fun. I can't even afford groceries at this point...let alone waste money on hobbies or fun things to do. I sit around all day just mindlessly going through the paces...money can't buy happiness, but it sure does take a lot of pressure off...allows you to experience more things in life that bring pleasure which in turn makes you happy.

I just gotta keep on keeping on. I do think before long things will be looking way up for me.

But that's all I really want to say for now. Last 2 times I've landed a job and came here bragging and everything about it...I've only let you guys down soon after. This time I'm going to try to tone it WAY down and see what happens.

-------EDIT-------

Okay so I just read your post above...

.....there's a study out ( read it once, stuck in my mind but have no idea where it came from .....it said that whether a great occurance in your life, winning the lottery or being in a car crash that caused you much physical damage ......has no real long term effect on your basic self .....people who win the lottery but are not happy people will revert to their basic selves after the euphoria has worn off .....just like someone who has been in a serious car crash will bounce back to being a cheerful person after the shock has worn off ....When you put it that way, I'd say in the grand scheme of things...I'm an overall happy person who bounces back. I've been through some pretty serious **** in life (who hasn't?)...but I've always come back. And overall...I'm usually alot more positive than I am negative. I've just been having some hard times lately...but overall I'm a pretty happy go lucky kinda guy.

I still hope in a better future...despite all my failures in my past.

psychopathetic
08-23-16, 12:31 AM
....Also, I don't have a clue as to whether you can change ( either from outside forces or from within ) from one type to the other ....

...If anyone has ideas on that .....do tell !

I think you absolutely can.
I think it depends on a lot of things really. Maybe some people can't really switch between A and B or vice versa. But surely some people can. I have.
A lot of it can depend on what kind of circumstances a person is living in at the moment.

Say you have someone who's always cheerful and always the life of a party. But then they lose a loved one and so all the sudden they lose the zest in life for a bit as they go through the grieving process. They just can't seem to smile let alone laugh. In time they'll find that smile again...but under the circumstances, it's understandable how they can move from A to B.

And with me...I've discovered that when I have a little bit of money (I don't need much, honestly) I can spend on hobbies and entertainment each month...I'm in an overall much better state of mind. It's very black and white with me. When I'm strapped like I am, life just isn't nearly as fun. I don't have as much to look forward to, I don't get to shop and to explore new hobbies like a little spending cash provides for me.
So I switch between A and B I think depending on that (along with many other things).

salleh
08-23-16, 04:11 AM
So, psychopathetic, you are, basically a cheerful person .....according to the question I was asking ....there was a looonnngg period ...no wait there was 2 long periods that I went through when life was so hard, I was scared I wasn't going to make it through ....came within a hair of stealing a garden hose and putting my last 5 bucks into my gas tank and checking out ....I wasn't really depressed, but I couldn't figure out how to keep going from where I was ....I have sat ( sitted ,? sitten?) on a couch and stared for literally months at a time ....didn't know what to do ...how to find my way out ....

...underneath it all I was still a cheerful person, and as soon as I thought of a way out, or actually GOT out ...I was back to being cheerful ......

.....What I think that article is trying to say ....is that external forces can only keep you down or up for so long ....when the force is removed, you revert to who you really are ....

...The nice thing is that so far, it seems most of us are cheerful people given the slightest chance .....

...Oh and while I think that many people have hard times, many of the people I know .....the only bad times they have gone through is when there's a death in the family ....because of the family I was born to, and the class, very few of the people who I grew up with, and went to school with through high school at least .....have faced severe anguish.....life has, for the most part, been gentle with them ....I am very much the exception to the rule about successful families have successful children ....

...Because we here all have to deal with serious brain issues, little we do is easy, .....every step of the way is fraught with hazards, and falling off the road can happen at any time .....my life has been 2 steps fall 4 steps fall ....and so on ....and I have been rather lucky I think .....there are those who have suffered far more than I having ADHD .....

...So unless we are surrounded by successful people, we forget that there are a lot of folks who DO well in life, not everyone struggles, I know many who have glided through life rarely goofing up, rarely not getting what they want out of it ....( or al least most of it anyway) .....

....whoops rambling off topic there .....sorry ....

psychopathetic
08-23-16, 08:51 AM
Awww

((((((((((((((Salleh))))))))))))))

I have sat ( sitted ,? sitten?) on a couch and stared for literally months at a time ....didn't know what to do ...how to find my way out ....

...underneath it all I was still a cheerful person, and as soon as I thought of a way out, or actually GOT out ...I was back to being cheerful ......

Thank you for sharing this, it really gave me a sense of hope and reminded me I wont be where I'm at forever.

salleh
08-23-16, 02:47 PM
OH my dear, as long as you can hold on, there is hope .....srsy.....and like so many of us ...my life has a sharp divide between pre and post internet .....that sitting on a couch time was a few years before I found the internet and all the people who have helped me find my way again ......I felt almost completely alone .....MY Mom and my sister were still alive, I would have just gone completely zombie without them .....

...BUt the internet and all the lovely people I have found here have made the difference ....without them, I would not have made it .....and that includes quite a lot of people on this site too ! .....

....Strangely enough, while you "hear" so much about the nasty things people say on the net .....I have found only a teeny tiny number of folks who were nasty .....like 1/10 th of 1 % .....gives me hope for all of us to continually find lovely caring people ....who are willing to spend time helping out people they may never meet face to face ....