View Full Version : Late Intro

ADHDWife&Mom
08-23-16, 12:28 PM
I dont think I ever introduced myself in this section. I have been focusing on the parenting section because my son is newly diagnosed.

My husband and I have been married for 12 years (together for almost 16). He has ADHD combined type which he was diagnosed with when he was around 6. He tried Ritalin as a child and he had a lot of side effects and they didnt really have other options in the 80s so he took nothing. He also had no therapy but was placed in a special needs class in public school. He struggled, he failed a couple of times, he eventually found his calling and graduated and went on to a very successful career.

We have two children and my oldest is 10 and has been recently diagnosed with ADHD combined type and possible Oppoistional defiant disorder. We have always thought he might have ADHD but it didnt cause any issues until last year. Our youngest is 4 and doesnt seem to have any indications of it.

I actually learned a lot about my husband while researching for my son. There are several behaviors that my husband exhibits that I just thought were man behaviors. I am a fairly laid back person and I dont let most things bother me but there have been things over the years that I have wondered why he insisted on continuing to do even when I told him it bothered me. Ive come to find out that most of those are behaviors that he either can not control or doesnt even realize he has done it until I mention it later.

I love that this forum has a support area for us non ADHD partners. It will be nice to learn from others, share what Ive learned over the years and just have a place to vent with others that will understand.

TLCisaQT
08-31-16, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the group. I did not learn about my husbands ADHD until my oldest was being diagnosed. I knew signs in children but not adults; however I knew the genetic component so many things started to make sense, especially a pamphlet I got about what it can look like in adults from childhood and a bell went off!!! Most of our struggles increased due to the stress of kids, especially those with ADHD. Good luck and welcome.

anonymouslyadd
08-31-16, 10:41 PM
I dont think I ever introduced myself in this section. I have been focusing on the parenting section because my son is newly diagnosed.

My husband and I have been married for 12 years (together for almost 16). He has ADHD combined type which he was diagnosed with when he was around 6. He tried Ritalin as a child and he had a lot of side effects and they didnt really have other options in the 80s so he took nothing. He also had no therapy but was placed in a special needs class in public school. He struggled, he failed a couple of times, he eventually found his calling and graduated and went on to a very successful career.

We have two children and my oldest is 10 and has been recently diagnosed with ADHD combined type and possible Oppoistional defiant disorder. We have always thought he might have ADHD but it didnt cause any issues until last year. Our youngest is 4 and doesnt seem to have any indications of it.

I actually learned a lot about my husband while researching for my son. There are several behaviors that my husband exhibits that I just thought were man behaviors. I am a fairly laid back person and I dont let most things bother me but there have been things over the years that I have wondered why he insisted on continuing to do even when I told him it bothered me. Ive come to find out that most of those are behaviors that he either can not control or doesnt even realize he has done it until I mention it later.

I love that this forum has a support area for us non ADHD partners. It will be nice to learn from others, share what Ive learned over the years and just have a place to vent with others that will understand.
We love that you're here seeking support and helpful information.