View Full Version : Music and it's Effects .....

salleh
08-23-16, 02:59 PM
.....we've spoken of this before I suspect .....but for some reason it popped into my head the other night ....

.....Music affects me deeply, ( like most people) and when I am temporarily down, the last thing I want to listen to is something like the blues.....I don't like being down, and lively music will almost always cheer me up and get me past a momentary bad patch .....something telling me to cheer up will only make me made, blues will send me deeper .....so BLUEGRASS !!!

.....and just because ....this is my go to tune for cheering up ......the fact that every member of this band was and is a friend of mine ( 3 are gone now) rather helps as I marvel at their virtuosity....they are world class musicians in every way .....but you don't have to know them personally to find this an uplifting piece of music .....just listen .....and I'll eat a bug if you don't feel better ......no matter what the state you are in when you do ....

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94i_DWCW1g

......the hand colored photo of the band is one of mine ....it was the back cover for this album ....

peripatetic
08-24-16, 02:04 AM
oh yeah? well get that bug ready, salleh ;)

(just kidding...i can't watch videos right now, but i'm sure it's a joyful tune and i'll listen to it tomorrow:))

keep on rockin salleh!

psychopathetic
08-24-16, 02:08 AM
Well now I feel like crud :(

/eagerly awaits for Salleh to make good on her promise to eat a bug! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

That's really neat you know these guys :D Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see you around the boards again :)

salleh
08-24-16, 04:50 AM
....H*** they're lucky they know me ! .....I was the best at making 7 mostly homely guys look pretty dam*** good ! ...srsly .....Bromberg is, well, homely, really really homely....charismatic as all get out .....but homely ....and the rest of them ( except Lance the drummer, ( guy in the back with lots of hair and mustache) ...who was sorta cute ....weren't exactly gonna set young girls hearts afire ....

....I did several albums for them ...One of them is titled ..."Wait till you see the rest of the band ." ....cause John Firman ( all sizes of saxes, flute, pennywhistle, and clarinet) was in the bathroom at a gig, and overheard someone say ...."you think Bromberg's homely, wait'll you see the rest of the band !".....

this photo was taken in about 1976 or so if I am remembering correctly ...

however......what I haven't mentioned here is that Bromberg also wrote some absolutely killer blues ....srsly ....BRB ....

Ok hadda listen to a couple of my favorites, and have decided that this one is the epitome of David's blues ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ywRL7tlb9A

salleh
08-24-16, 04:56 AM
ok here's another blues song that I just love .....the first time I heard it ....my parents sister Katy and I went out to dinner .....( I was 17, Katy was 14) ....we listened to "theri music on the way there, but we insisted that we listen to "our" music on the way home ....

Daddy was a pretty good sport, so he tuned to KPPC ( Pasadena underground FM radio) ..and we were treated to this tune .....when my mother disapproved of something, she would sniff just a little ...Katy and I could detect a small sniff from across the room and would modify our behavior accordingly ....

...This night, however, we were too busy falling off the back seat laughing hysterically....she nearly sniffed herself inside out that night ....Daddy was a doctor, so he thought it was hysterical ...the 3 of us were enjoying the bejabbers out of that song .....

..A memory that will live in my head forever !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfnP3nhghk

Unmanagable
08-24-16, 09:27 AM
Music runs through my veins and is how I process many emotions, maintain momentum, become inspired, am encouraged to keep my body moving, and it's the best form of release I've ever experienced, besides breathing.

Nature's music is just as important in my existence and well-being. Everyone deserves music, sweet music. (shared from Michael Franti) I'm saddened when I meet people who have no interest at all in it or nature. I can't imagine my life without either, daily. Thank you for sharing your stories. :)

salleh
08-24-16, 01:49 PM
Unmanageable.....poetry in prose ...that's what your post it ....wow, I couldn't have said that ..but I'm glad you did......those are my feelings too .....when I wasn't listening to music and shooting musicians, I was out roaming the hills and mountains of the Sonoma Valley, and surrounding counties of northern California .....and shooting landscapes....

...even though I now live in the city area of the greater bay area, rather than tucked away in the northern valley ....I am reminded almost every time I leave my house, that I am on a planet ...cause the bay area has as it's center, the huge and beautiful San Francisco bay .....with it's lovely bridges, and dotted with islands and mountains and hills ,....it is breathtakingly beautiful .....I can't see my avatar, but I hear that it's still the shot of San Francisco taken from Yerba Buena Island ....the Bay Bridge is in 2 parts one side Oakland to YB I and then from YBI to the city itself ....

.....I think of people stuck in the inner cities of anywhere that's not near a coast, where everything they see and live in ...is concrete and brick, with the occasional sickly tree sticking up out of what looks like a box of dirt in the sidewalk ....and my heart breaks for them .....rich or poor, of middle class, you have to know you are living on a wondrous planet ....and that's dam* near impossible in the city ....