View Full Version : Annoyed with multiple diagnoses'

maysarieltiff
08-24-16, 12:10 AM
I don't know where to post this. I need to vent.

It seems impossible that I have all of these diagnosis'. ADD, Depression, GAD, bipolar, borderline personality, chronic hypertension...

I take 10 pills a day, including my multivitamin. I am tired of it. Sorry, 11, but I stopped taking the migraine one because, well, I forgot and now it's just been two weeks and I have only had two headaches...

How is it possible to have so many diagnosis'? Can't I just have a couple and be done with it? I do not want to take all of these meds, and I have tried some natural supplements but they do not seem to do the trick. Honestly, what I am on is not working so why take them at all? I despise taking pills, I gag, They never go down right...

Argh.

Ok, rant done. Anyone else taking an insane amount of meds a day and wishes they weren't?

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 01:00 AM
I think we can have multiple diagnosis's because so many are comorbid, or overlap when it comes to mental health issues. I have: GAD, PTSD, bipolar II, and adhd- and thats not including the physical issues I have! I take multiple pills, multiple times a day, I wont even share how many because Im like a pharmacy. If you really doubt some of your diagnosis's then its worth looking into or discussing them with your doctor, but if you are just venting and feeling bad about how many issues you have then give yourself a break.
You are NOT: Lazy,crazy,ugly,terrible,horrible,worthless,unwort hy,useless,dumb,stupid,evil,unloveable or insignificant.
You are human.
You have flaws.
You have gifts.

peripatetic
08-24-16, 01:02 AM
i'm currently down to taking (and everything i take is for psychiatric conditions) four different medications daily and have two PRNs prescribed. that's down from, for a brief period of time after one of my discharges, taking up to a dozen different pills/capsules daily and getting a monthly injection in the butt.

it depends on how you count...like, my very first diagnosis was dyslexia, but that hardly matters in light of other things in my life at this point...that was as a maybe six year old. i also have been diagnosed with panic disorder with agoraphobia before, but that's been collapsed into my OCD diagnosis once i finally relented and let my psychiatrist put another acronym on my chart.

i also have adhd, but i'm currently not treated for it. that's because the third diagnosis i have hasn't been fully treated for several years and i've got to get to at least two full years of stability before they'll consider restarting stimulants. so, as you can imagine, that third one's a *****. and something i don't identify on the open forum. also because i don't completely believe it's true. still...i take a bunch of meds and, sadly, most are antipsychotics.

it's better than it has been though. and i've only been hospitalized once this calendar year, so...i guess it's worth it...? i have a baby girl, so, yeah....it's worth it.

sorry your'e struggling with your treatment plan. i hope you can reduce some of your meds sooner than later. xx

aeon
08-24-16, 01:26 AM
I take 8 meds, 15 pills per day.

1 for ADHD
1 for depression
1 for sleep
1 for anticoagulation
1 for hypertension
1 for hypercholesterolemia
1 to spank the pancreas (type 2 diabetic)
1 to muzzle the liver (type 2 diabetic)

I am glad to take all of them as they help me with the ways my body does not function properly.

That said, I canít afford them sometimes, so I go without, and thatís no good. In particular, my ADHD med is spendy. I pay for everything out of pocket.

But yeah, I am glad to have my diagnoses, and my meds. All of them.

Iíd take a couple more meds if I could. But thatís a question of being prescribed them, or being able to afford them (and I canít).

Thanks,
Ian

maysarieltiff
08-24-16, 09:26 PM
"I think we can have multiple diagnosis's because so many are comorbid, or overlap when it comes to mental health issues. I have: GAD, PTSD, bipolar II, and adhd- and thats not including the physical issues I have! I take multiple pills, multiple times a day, I wont even share how many because Im like a pharmacy. If you really doubt some of your diagnosis's then its worth looking into or discussing them with your doctor, but if you are just venting and feeling bad about how many issues you have then give yourself a break.
You are NOT: Lazy,crazy,ugly,terrible,horrible,worthless,unwort hy,useless,dumb,stupid,evil,unloveable or insignificant.
You are human.
You have flaws.
You have gifts."

Thank you all for putting things in perspective. I also have been told I have PTSD and panic disorder at points in my life.

I should be thankful that I have access to these medications (at the moment), although we are still working to find the right mix. I just needed to complain I guess lol. I was frustrated. Thank you.

I appreciate the responses!

Good luck to us all with our meds.

Also, I wish I had one for sleeping!! My psychiatrist seems reluctant to prescribe that. I have mentioned the last time I was there that I was sleeping 4 hours a night tops. Perhaps because the ADD meds aren't working to our desired effects. IDK. Plus, I can't be out to the point that I won't wake up for my son if he wakes up in the middle of the night. Maybe that is why.

Fortune
08-24-16, 09:46 PM
I have five current diagnoses, and I take several meds each day. It's not fun but they are helping.

Sometimes I just want to stop taking them although I know this isn't a good idea.

Snoopy10
09-11-16, 10:50 AM
I'm so glad you raised this topic!! I believe that many of we folks with mental health issues don't have one definable disorder and our doctors don't know how to treat a non-defined disorder so they just treat you for everything.

I only found out about my ADHD because my doc put me on Adderall for depression. Turned out the Adderall worked for everything my doc had diagnosed me with (Anxiety, depression, and touch of OCD at one point). So I was able to chuck out all the other drugs (mostly) and take only Adderall.

So my advice would be not to take all the drugs blindly and to test things out to see what works for you. With a 25-year diagnosis with anxiety it makes no sense that I could give up klonopin (mostly) and live anxiety free on Adderall. But it's been 2 years and now I don't think about death and dying anymore because life is no longer a daily battle.

I still take Klonopin for sleep, I haven't conquered that yet...