View Full Version : New to ADHD

KeepKalmK
08-24-16, 03:03 AM
Hi, totally new to all things adhd so please forgive my ignorance. i have seen the 3 types of adhd and my son fits the second type ' hyperactive and impulsive' but I'm still not sure if it's adhd or not. I think he maybe can focus ( ie: not 'attention deficit' but is just hyperactive. How would I test that? He has learning difficulties so it can be difficult to see where he is regarding attention. Does the hyperactive/impulsive group not show the difficulty with attention as much? Or are there other conditions I should look into? Thank you.

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 06:27 AM
Hi, totally new to all things adhd so please forgive my ignorance. i have seen the 3 types of adhd and my son fits the second type ' hyperactive and impulsive' but I'm still not sure if it's adhd or not. I think he maybe can focus ( ie: not 'attention deficit' but is just hyperactive. How would I test that? He has learning difficulties so it can be difficult to see where he is regarding attention. Does the hyperactive/impulsive group not show the difficulty with attention as much? Or are there other conditions I should look into? Thank you.

There used to be subtypes that were classified but the dsm has done away with them...although I still think they somewhat apply.
It used to be PI- primarily inattentive, h-hyperactive or c-combined.
I am combined. Are you sure your son doesnt exhibit any forms of inattention? Most hyperactive kids are so hyperactive that they have trouble paying attention.
Attention deficit is kind of misleading, all it means basically is there is an issue with attention....you would not be the one to 'test' him because a- there are no tests for adhd and b- a qualified psychiatrist or peds psyche would be the persons to evaluate him. There are many conditions that mimic adhd like: depression, tourettes, bipolar etc. Some kids have food sensitivities that result in behavior issues.

KeepKalmK
08-24-16, 12:27 PM
thanks sarah, I didn't know the sub groups were no longer used. I'll have a look at Dsm 5 for some clarification. his attention is expected do be low due to his learning difficulty, currently the teachers say about 10minutes, I guess he's cognitively age 8-10. He can attend to a board game with direction from us, but needs to control it.