View Full Version : how long does it take for your heart rate to return to normal?

fred5123
08-24-16, 06:39 AM
I so started taking 5mg of ritalin 3x a day last week. Before I started taking it my heart rate was 62.

I havn't taken a dose for 14 hours but my heart rate is still 78 (exactly the same as it is 1-2 hours after normally taking the medication. I don't get it, shouldn't my heart rate have returned to normal 3 hours after taking the medication since the effects of the medication only last 3 hours for me anyway?

aeon
08-24-16, 08:47 AM
No, it should not, and it will not. That delta and duration thereof is normative.

You must also consider dehydration, because it will also raise your resting pulse.

Cheers,
Ian

Laserbeak
08-24-16, 09:06 AM
I think it can vary widely, but should be no more than a week at the absolute most. It usually would be less than that, especially since you've been on the drug for such a short period.

But, no matter what, it's nothing to be too concerned about.

fred5123
08-24-16, 09:20 AM
ok thanks.

I'm also wondering about something else. When I first started taking 5mg 3x a day I noticed quite a difference. On the 5th day I took 10mg (doctor said I could do so to test the effectiveness) which seemed to help more than 5mg, and after that I don't think that 5mg is having nearly the same effect that it used to have after I took the 10mg just once.

My concern is that:
1) I don't understand why 5mg used to have quite an effect on me and now it no longer does
2) I'm concerned that if I take 10mg 3x a day I might develop some sort of resistance that I may not develop on 5mg 3x a day.

sarahsweets
08-24-16, 09:44 AM
IDK, 72 seems pretty good to me.

spamspambacon
08-24-16, 10:36 AM
IDK, 78 seems pretty good to me.

Agreed.

I was on Adderall for 9+ years and have been off of it for 4 months. Mine is still cruising at around 100 BPM after a lifetime of being around 60-70 BPM resting.

aeon
08-24-16, 10:50 AM
My heart rate goes down on Dex because my brain chills out.

fred5123
08-24-16, 01:33 PM
ok thanks.

I'm also wondering about something else. When I first started taking 5mg 3x a day I noticed quite a difference. On the 5th day I took 10mg (doctor said I could do so to test the effectiveness) which seemed to help more than 5mg, and after that I don't think that 5mg is having nearly the same effect that it used to have after I took the 10mg just once.

My concern is that:
1) I don't understand why 5mg used to have quite an effect on me and now it no longer does
2) I'm concerned that if I take 10mg 3x a day I might develop some sort of resistance that I may not develop on 5mg 3x a day.

To add to this:

The first few days that I started taking the 5mg dose, it was obvious when it was wearing off. I'd feel tired, have a tiny headache, feel a little moody, a little bit of nausea, and feel hungry. Now when I take 5mg I seem to start yawning, and I'm not even sure when it's wearing off anymore.

Laserbeak
08-24-16, 07:40 PM
My heart rate goes down on Dex because my brain chills out.

Dexedrine is very focused on the upper, conscious level of your brain, not the lower autonomous levels that handle things like blood pressure. That's why it's a lot smoother than say Adderall that contains levoamphetamine as well as dextroamphetamine, that tends to work on the lower autonomous levels too. I'm not exactly sure where Ritalin falls.