View Full Version : WTH is happening?

Toss4n
08-24-16, 02:44 PM
So got bumped up to 36mg of concerta 4 days ago, and it didn't really do anything for my focus, except maybe make it worse as I only got a tension headache, panic attack, and it feels like my bp is off the charts (it isn't; bought a bp meter and I'm on a constant 120/70 which is a bit higher than normal, but still pretty good). Probably just anxiety that is causing these issues. The focus I do get though doesn't feel natural at all, and feels forced. Think I'm going to switch to 18mg twice a day for awhile and if that doesn't work just switch meds.

Now on to the interesting part: When the drug starts to wear off I get somewhat depressed and lethargic, but now after a couple of hours a sudden burst of euphoria hit me out of nowhere. :eyebrow::scratch: Not really sure how to describe it other than the way you feel when you just start laughing suddenly for no reason. I mean isn't euphoria something you should feel whilst on the concerta - not off it?

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? First I thought it might be due to some weird serotonin thing, but concerta shouldn't to my knowledge affect serotonin, so that shouldn't be the case. Don't really get it at all. :confused:

namazu
08-24-16, 05:54 PM
It does sound weird and not exactly pleasant...and I think you may be right that some of what you're feeling is anxiety; it's a known side effect.

It could be one of those adjustment things that would go away after a week or two of being on the new dose, or it could indicate that 36mg is too high for you.

If you were bumped up from 18mg straight to 36mg, be aware that there's a 27mg pill available, too. If 18mg worked OK for you, but didn't seem strong enough, and 36mg seems like too much, it's possible that the 27mg could be a "happy medium".

sarahsweets
08-26-16, 04:47 AM
How long does it take for the concerta to wear off?

Toss4n
08-26-16, 04:52 PM
How long does it take for the concerta to wear off?

About 8 hours. Took it at 7 am that morning and got the euphoria at around 9 pm so I don't think it's the second dose if that's what you're thinking.

C15H25N3O
08-28-16, 07:48 PM
Sound also for me like 36mg is a bit too much.

It is usual that MPH increases the heart rate a little around 10-15 BPM not due
anxiety but due to stimulation. Blood pressure also should be increase a little.
Not being used to it can feel anxious but is mostly alerted!
I think it maybe also releases some adrenaline while blocking noadrenalines reuptake.
The focus is strong and brings you on track if it works.
The wear off is called "crash". It feels ugly but you feel good when it is over.
The higher the dosage you take the stronger the crash hits you.
The "crash" can be avoided by going to bed while its effectiveness.
Most people can fall to sleep quite good on MPH because it stops thinking in bed.
I just took 5mg as a sleeping pill. I did not take my Vyvanse today.

You should ask your doctor for a half dosage for second intake.
Second intake does not need as much as first intake.

Ritalin IR is a very good alternative but you have to take it every 4 hours.

Toss4n
08-29-16, 03:29 AM
Sound also for me like 36mg is a bit too much.

It is usual that MPH increases the heart rate a little around 10-15 BPM not due
anxiety but due to stimulation. Blood pressure also should be increase a little.
Not being used to it can feel anxious but is mostly alerted!
I think it maybe also releases some adrenaline while blocking noadrenalines reuptake.
The focus is strong and brings you on track if it works.
The wear off is called "crash". It feels ugly but you feel good when it is over.
The higher the dosage you take the stronger the crash hits you.
The "crash" can be avoided by going to bed while its effectiveness.
Most people can fall to sleep quite good on MPH because it stops thinking in bed.
I just took 5mg as a sleeping pill. I did not take my Vyvanse today.

You should ask your doctor for a half dosage for second intake.
Second intake does not need as much as first intake.

Ritalin IR is a very good alternative but you have to take it every 4 hours.

Yeah pretty sure the 36 mg is too much, especially since I am overly sensitive to any and all medication that affect my cognition (my mind already feels so messed up, that I don't like anything that messes it up further). Noticed that if I take 18mg in the morning at around 7 am and then a second dose at around 1 pm I feel much much better, but only after the second dose. If I only take 18 mg I only feel a little bit calmer and mostly just tired, but after the second dose my motivation and concentration increases dramatically.

C15H25N3O
08-29-16, 05:18 AM
if you take twice 18mg and feel better after the second dose you might should switch to another MPH product
or try 27mg in the morning and 18mg for the afternoon which could work 100% perfect.

I used to take Ritalin IR pills which can be broken. In my opinon they are easiest to adjust.

Their intake is a bit more stress because the only work for 4 hours but kick in after 15 minutes if there is a crash.

I used to take 20(15)-10-10-10(5)mg. (Brackets mean an alternating lower dosage.) The lower seconds, third dosages
depend on the substances half-life. Did you ever see the half lives curves? You have to build up a level in the morning
and feed it to avoid the dropping of the level.

I hope you understand my explanation.

Toss4n
08-30-16, 03:35 AM
if you take twice 18mg and feel better after the second dose you might should switch to another MPH product
or try 27mg in the morning and 18mg for the afternoon which could work 100% perfect.

I used to take Ritalin IR pills which can be broken. In my opinon they are easiest to adjust.

Their intake is a bit more stress because the only work for 4 hours but kick in after 15 minutes if there is a crash.

I used to take 20(15)-10-10-10(5)mg. (Brackets mean an alternating lower dosage.) The lower seconds, third dosages
depend on the substances half-life. Did you ever see the half lives curves? You have to build up a level in the morning
and feed it to avoid the dropping of the level.

I hope you understand my explanation.

Saw my Dr today and he suggested 27 + 18mg as well, so you were right on the money! ;) Didn't want to prescribe anything for the anxiety yet though, or at least until we find the right dosage for the Concerta.

Recommended therapy as well to deal with my issues that haven't gone away with medication (I personally don't believe in therapy, and think the best way to get better is to constantly try your best to improve and if you cannot manage it on your own, just take some meds to help you along the way).

Think my Dr is great and I know he has a lot of experience in dealing with ADHD (he does most of his research in this area), but seemed a little conservative as he said they don't prescribe amphetamines for adults at all (which I personally think is pretty ridiculous). Talks really slow as well, and I have immense trouble with sitting still during our sessions. :p

sarahsweets
08-30-16, 04:52 AM
Have you considered the concerta with a later dose of IR ritalin as a booster?

Toss4n
08-30-16, 11:14 AM
Have you considered the concerta with a later dose of IR ritalin as a booster?

Think Ritalin IR is recommended if you have trouble sleeping on concerta, but I haven't had any such issues, and been doing quite fine on 18mg + 18mg, so I'm going to continue on Concerta. Only thing I've noticed is that the morning dosage of 18mg has been too low, so it was now upped to 27mg instead. Hopefully this will give me enough of a boost to last throughout the whole day without causing any panic attacks. :cool:

C15H25N3O
08-30-16, 01:11 PM
I personally don't believe in therapy

Partial right but it is only one or better your perspective.

I am a guy who does not like to open myself to people i dont know. I dont trust them if they dont talk to me
but I have to talk to them. I dont like to be misunderstood and hate to be abused doing stuff for others.

Now I understood therapy is there to find your issues. Some things we see as an issue cannot be healed
like ADHD and we have to arrange with it. ADHD can be balanced with meds. Mind there are issues we dont
understand or we have a wrong interpetation for or we are sick of searching for solutions. Maybe a reason
why we go to the doctors.

Issues found in therapy are very important information for the doctor to select correct medications.
If the doctor does not have the information he only can do tries. Trying multiple psych-medications
that dont work is no fun and can hurt. A wrong med can make fun in the meaning of a drug but drugs
make damage if they are the wrong meds in the meaning of self-medication.

If I had been open for therapy I would not have wasted 2 years.

Think my Dr is great and I know he has a lot of experience in dealing with ADHD (he does most of his
research in this area), but seemed a little conservative as he said they don't prescribe amphetamines
for adults at all (which I personally think is pretty ridiculous). Talks really slow as well, and I have immense
trouble with sitting still during our sessions. :p

You are prescribed to the luxury pill of methylphenidate. It depends on our personality if methylphenidate
or amphetamines work better. The "problem" is both substances are quite psychoactive and have very
strong effects. The noob-user maybe only sees the effect which might be helpful in a way but it also can be
interpereted wrong while not fitting exactly.

You should test your meds in your profession, in thinking, in your moods, activities and also stuff you might
stopped doing and try self-reflecting meds and past a lot. Ask your friends and family about their perspective
on the meds effects but mention they could have attitudes.

the best way to get better is to constantly try your best to improve and if you
cannot manage it on your own, just take some meds to help you along the way).

Sadly it is not so simple. Neuro-chemics are quite complex. Good treatment is more like looking for a needle
in the haystack.

Methylphenidate helps many people better than amphetamine.

Reason: Replace "r-word" (which many people consider offensive) with "ridiculous".

What is the r-word? I need to become better in psychatrists-english not to be understood offensive. :yes:

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:See response to "r-word" question in new thread (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179790)so as not to derail Toss4n's thread.]

Toss4n
08-31-16, 03:53 AM
Partial right but it is only one or better your perspective.

I am a guy who does not like to open myself to people i dont know. I dont trust them if they dont talk to me
but I have to talk to them. I dont like to be misunderstood and hate to be abused doing stuff for others.

Now I understood therapy is there to find your issues. Some things we see as an issue cannot be healed
like ADHD and we have to arrange with it. ADHD can be balanced with meds. Mind there are issues we dont
understand or we have a wrong interpetation for or we are sick of searching for solutions. Maybe a reason
why we go to the doctors.

Issues found in therapy are very important information for the doctor to select correct medications.
If the doctor does not have the information he only can do tries. Trying multiple psych-medications
that dont work is no fun and can hurt. A wrong med can make fun in the meaning of a drug but drugs
make damage if they are the wrong meds in the meaning of self-medication.

If I had been open for therapy I would not have wasted 2 years.

Well, I basically feel like most of my issues stem from the fact that I wasn't diagnosed until I was 28, which has resulted in deep rooted issues such as anxiety and bad self-esteem. Now I know therapy can work for some, but I have absolutely zero follow-through, so for me the best thing would be to find some medication that would reduce the anxiety to a low enough level so that I could start doing the things I want/should, now that I really can do them, and just go on with my life.

You are prescribed to the luxury pill of methylphenidate. It depends on our personality if methylphenidate
or amphetamines work better. The "problem" is both substances are quite psychoactive and have very
strong effects. The noob-user maybe only sees the effect which might be helpful in a way but it also can be
interpereted wrong while not fitting exactly.

You should test your meds in your profession, in thinking, in your moods, activities and also stuff you might
stopped doing and try self-reflecting meds and past a lot. Ask your friends and family about their perspective
on the meds effects but mention they could have attitudes.

Sadly it is not so simple. Neuro-chemics are quite complex. Good treatment is more like looking for a needle
in the haystack.

Methylphenidate helps many people better than amphetamine.

I didn't say I needed amphetamines, just that it is dumb to say they don't prescribe them at all, when it seems to be the only thing that works for some.

My Dr. wanted to see my girlfriend of six years, because he wanted to know if she had noticed a change in my behaviour since starting the meds. As for my own experience - they are helping, but due to me overanalysing everything and basically being afraid of dying while on the meds (:giggle:), I wouldn't really trust myself until I get my anxiety issues under control.

It's been good on 27mg + 18mg thus far though (still a relatively low dose for someone my size).

C15H25N3O
08-31-16, 09:04 PM
You should bring your girlfriend to the next appointment.

Toss4n
09-01-16, 05:57 AM
You should bring your girlfriend to the next appointment.

She's already been talking with the doc and was present during our last meeting. :)

Small update: Not sure what is happening, but it seems the meds aren't working at all anymore since moving up to 27mg+18mg. No panic attacks, nothing. Been thinking I got prescribed a placebo or something. :eyebrow::lol: I have changed my diet to include a lot more potassium and less sodium lately though, so maybe that is the reason for the sudden change in effectiveness. Going to try taking them both at the same time tomorrow to see if I notice anything. Already took a second dose of 27mg today because I'm not getting anything done and my mind is racing just as it was prior to me starting taking the meds.

sarahsweets
09-01-16, 06:09 AM
She's already been talking with the doc and was present during our last meeting. :)

Small update: Not sure what is happening, but it seems the meds aren't working at all anymore since moving up to 27mg+18mg. No panic attacks, nothing. Been thinking I got prescribed a placebo or something. :eyebrow::lol: I have changed my diet to include a lot more potassium and less sodium lately though, so maybe that is the reason for the sudden change in effectiveness. Going to try taking them both at the same time tomorrow to see if I notice anything. Already took a second dose of 27mg today because I'm not getting anything done and my mind is racing just as it was prior to me starting taking the meds.

So you are prescribed 27mg and 18 mg and today you took 27mg and another 27mg?
Is that what your doc told you to do?
Im thinking you could end up feeling worse because then you are dealing with 54mg in your system vs 45mg

Toss4n
09-01-16, 07:01 AM
So you are prescribed 27mg and 18 mg and today you took 27mg and another 27mg?
Is that what your doc told you to do?
Im thinking you could end up feeling worse because then you are dealing with 54mg in your system vs 45mg

We're still in the process of trying to find the appropriate dosage, and he said I could try to combine them in order to find a dosage that suits me, as long as it doesn't give me any issues (he was comfortable with this because I have a blood pressure meter at home and measure it a few times a day). He basically said he wanted to get me to 1mg/kg as that is usually the required dosage, but because of the anxiety attacks I had earlier, we just have to move a bit slower than usual. :)

And I've already taken 27+18mg today, and just took a second dose of 27mg, but still not noticing anything. Probably going to try and stick with taking 27+18 at the same time in the morning, and if that doesn't give me any help, just call my Dr and let him know it isn't working. :scratch:

sarahsweets
09-01-16, 08:02 AM

When you say they arent working at all what do you mean? Do you mean zero symptoms controlled? Or are some?

Toss4n
09-01-16, 09:02 AM
When you say they arent working at all what do you mean? Do you mean zero symptoms controlled? Or are some?

Nothing as of yet. Maybe a slight increase in focus, but that is it. Usually takes a couple of hours before it starts working though, so still hopeful to see an improvement.

Toss4n
09-02-16, 12:07 PM
Huh, really like the feeling when I notice an effect, but it doesn't really take care of the symptoms. For instance I just noticed I put a dishwasher tabled into the dishwasher, but forgot to turn it on (got distracted and this is just one example of me not really getting any better). So I'm not sure it's actually working at these low dosages. Could go higher, but I doubt I would enjoy the comedown. Think I'm going to contact my pdoc and ask to be switched to strattera instead. :(