View Full Version : Vyvnase helping social anxiety?

quichea
08-24-16, 08:14 PM
I was recently prescribed vyvanse for adult ADD and I've only been taking it for the past week. I've noticed since taking it that my social anxiety and general anxiety has decreased significantly.

I did some research and found this:

"In situations where social anxiety is caused by impaired dopaminergic signaling that leads to reduced social confidence, Vyvanse can help relieve anxiety. A recent study suggests that patients with social anxiety have too much serotonin (rather than too little, as previously thought). As a crude overgeneralization, dopamine and serotonin counterbalance each other, such that excessive serotononergic signaling inhibits dopamine release, and vice-versa."

BUT everything else I find shows that an increase in anxiety is usually the outcome of vyvanse use. Does anyone else have experiences where their social anxiety helped by vyvanse, and hopefully long term? It's like a light has been turned on in my life and I can interact with people with confidence, and I'm worried that it'll only be a temporary effect of this medication.

Thanks!

C15H25N3O
08-26-16, 05:57 PM
My answer might be confusing but it is simple. Vyvanse has like every substance an effect on your or everyones neuro-chemics. The question is if you need this effect on the neuro-chemics which has an effect on your personality that can be stabilizing or destabilizing.

I have a enormous decrease in social anxiety which was induced by SSRI 10 years ago. I was prescribed to SSRI for a burn-out but it was a happypill and the wrong med.
My decrease of anxiety sometime feels like being a bit over the top and makes acting like being a snow-plug in the meaning of confidence. I take Vyvanse since last november. I still profit from it when I have breaks from 2-14 days. Continous positive social experiences in a row over a long period will heal for sure but dont protect from bad experiences.

sarahsweets
08-27-16, 07:06 AM
I was recently prescribed vyvanse for adult ADD and I've only been taking it for the past week. I've noticed since taking it that my social anxiety and general anxiety has decreased significantly.

I did some research and found this:

BUT everything else I find shows that an increase in anxiety is usually the outcome of vyvanse use. Does anyone else have experiences where their social anxiety helped by vyvanse, and hopefully long term? It's like a light has been turned on in my life and I can interact with people with confidence, and I'm worried that it'll only be a temporary effect of this medication.

Thanks!
A lot of times, certain types of anxiety-like the kind that goes along with adhd or other mood issues are actually exacerbated by under-treatment of the adhd. Many times, treatment with stimulants helps balance enough stuff in your brain that it actually reduces your anxiety.

Vyvanse is supposed to be very long lasting(although thats up for debate).
It might be wiser to choose another med that doesnt have the same properties so that it didnt last as long. Ive taken dexedrine and now adderall.