View Full Version : Forever on my phone

Kozmical
08-25-16, 10:22 AM
Hi I'm a 21 year old first time mom whose addicted to my smartphone , at least it feels that way. I don't know what to do ! I took up this habit while pregnant and now I feel as if I get nothing done around the house because I get distracted by my phone . Can anyone give me some tips :that worked for them ?

sarahsweets
08-27-16, 06:36 AM
I dont have any tips other than to turn it off for periods during the day so that even if it makes noise, you wont be tempted to check it.

spamspambacon
08-27-16, 08:38 AM
If your phone is an Android, I can recommend some apps that will prevent you from using the phone for set periods of time that you set up.

First is QualityTime
Second is AppBlock

I use QualityTime.
For a while, I had my phone "locked" from 7am-9am as I had built a habit where I was on it, playing around, during that time, every day.

I wanted to break that habit, so I set up QualityTime to not allow anything except phonecalls and Pandora (radio). Once 7am arrived, the phone would lock and I couldn't use any apps, except Pandora, until 9am.

Some notes about how these apps works:
The phone always works. Incoming and outgoing calls work normally.

You create a "time chunk", specifying the start time and the end time. The chunk can be as short as 1 minute or as long as 24 hours.
For each "time chunk", you specify which apps will be allowed during that time; the apps can be different for each chunk of time.

QualityTime has these features:

It will remind you when you've been using the device too long. I chose 45 minutes as a length of time before it would pop-up a reminder to tell me I'd been on it that long. This helps when time just "slips by."

It has a "coffee break" feature. You can take a break at any time and only the apps you allow during a coffee break will work. This is a quick way to
kick yourself off the phone.

It logs EVERYTHING you open and close, and then presents you with a timeline and the total time you spent in each app. This helps to see how long you were using a specific app.

AppBlock has the ability to set not only the time duration, but which days the duration will be effective. Nice if you only need to block yourself for Mon, Wed and Thurs, for example.

Both have other features, but you get the gist :D

Also, my "addiction" was broken when I could not use the phone for 2 weeks. I was inpatient at a hospital (depression) and everyone's phones were locked up at the nurse's station.

I don't suggest that route :eek: , but purposely leaving your phone with someone else for a few days may do the trick, as well.

Michelle B
10-10-16, 08:43 PM
If your phone is an Android, I can recommend some apps that will prevent you from using the phone for set periods of time that you set up.

First is QualityTime
Second is AppBlock

I use QualityTime.
For a while, I had my phone "locked" from 7am-9am as I had built a habit where I was on it, playing around, during that time, every day.

I wanted to break that habit, so I set up QualityTime to not allow anything except phonecalls and Pandora (radio). Once 7am arrived, the phone would lock and I couldn't use any apps, except Pandora, until 9am.

Some notes about how these apps works:
The phone always works. Incoming and outgoing calls work normally.

You create a "time chunk", specifying the start time and the end time. The chunk can be as short as 1 minute or as long as 24 hours.
For each "time chunk", you specify which apps will be allowed during that time; the apps can be different for each chunk of time.

QualityTime has these features:

It will remind you when you've been using the device too long. I chose 45 minutes as a length of time before it would pop-up a reminder to tell me I'd been on it that long. This helps when time just "slips by."

It has a "coffee break" feature. You can take a break at any time and only the apps you allow during a coffee break will work. This is a quick way to
kick yourself off the phone.

It logs EVERYTHING you open and close, and then presents you with a timeline and the total time you spent in each app. This helps to see how long you were using a specific app.

AppBlock has the ability to set not only the time duration, but which days the duration will be effective. Nice if you only need to block yourself for Mon, Wed and Thurs, for example.

Both have other features, but you get the gist :D

Also, my "addiction" was broken when I could not use the phone for 2 weeks. I was inpatient at a hospital (depression) and everyone's phones were locked up at the nurse's station.

I don't suggest that route :eek: , but purposely leaving your phone with someone else for a few days may do the trick, as well.

So incredibly helpful!!