View Full Version : Advice for panic attacks in 11yo son with ADHD and mild Aspergers

juneyam
08-26-16, 03:38 PM
My son started having panic attacks a few months ago. It gets so bad that he hyperventilates and screams on the floor that it hurts and begs for help. I've tried and tried to get him to manage them and come down on his own, but he hasn't been able to. He accepts help from no one else except me (mom), and I have to repeatedly squeeze his arms which then calms him down. He then lies completely spent on the floor for several minutes, after which he recuperates, and is low energy, but much better and easy going.
I'm freaking out about when he starts school next week. He can be unpredictably triggered when frustrated over something, and it can easily snowball. I don't know what kind of plan to put in place for him in his IEP, I just know he needs a sort of emergency plan if this happens. If he has them at school, will the school place him in an alternative setting?
Any suggestions or experience with this kind of situation appreciated. Thanks.

sarahsweets
08-27-16, 06:46 AM
My son started having panic attacks a few months ago. It gets so bad that he hyperventilates and screams on the floor that it hurts and begs for help. I've tried and tried to get him to manage them and come down on his own, but he hasn't been able to. He accepts help from no one else except me (mom), and I have to repeatedly squeeze his arms which then calms him down. He then lies completely spent on the floor for several minutes, after which he recuperates, and is low energy, but much better and easy going.
What does his doc say about this? Is he on medication?

I'm freaking out about when he starts school next week. He can be unpredictably triggered when frustrated over something, and it can easily snowball. I don't know what kind of plan to put in place for him in his IEP, I just know he needs a sort of emergency plan if this happens. If he has them at school, will the school place him in an alternative setting?
Any suggestions or experience with this kind of situation appreciated. Thanks.

What does his current IEP say? Did you have the end of school year meeting that would determine what things are going to be implemented in the fall?

Lunacie
08-27-16, 10:23 AM
Some find a weighted vest helpful.

My autistic granddaughter has horrible anxiety attacks at times, but never an actual panic attack I guess.

She takes an antidepressant to help with her anxiety.

She also sees both a therapist and a case worker at least once a week to work on her self-regulation. We could not afford that without her being approved for social security disability.

But the biggest help of all may be the special ed teacher we were fortunate to get 3 years ago. The woman has a heart of gold and a very good handle on what behaviors are typical for kids her age and which are the result of the autism.

spamspambacon
08-27-16, 10:42 AM
If he can take something like Xanax, that would help immensely. I had panic attacks/anxiety attacks, and taking a Xanax helped me stop the panic attack completely within a few minutes and because I was stopping them, I eventually stopped having them.

I would take .125 mg (1/4 of a .5 mg tablet) to which my doc laughed and said "why bother?" but in all seriousness, it was all I needed to "forget I was having a panic attack."

It sounds like your son has developed a coping skill that incorporates you as the "aid." Whatever helps him is great, but as you know, you can't always be there. I really feel for you both. It's scary to have a panic attack and scary to feel helpless when a loved one has one.

The only other idea I have is to speak with any special ed teacher you can. (Not just your child's) Ask these other special ed teachers for ideas, and you may come up with some things your son's teacher can do while your son is at school.

:grouphug: