View Full Version : Very, very bizarre note left on my door

Laserbeak
08-27-16, 02:17 PM
Note, I do not smoke pot in the hallway. I have no pot in my apartment and haven't for probably years. I have absolutely no idea where this came from.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/KPyAWs.jpg

(The last line was cut off in the original which is also kind of strange.)

Some neighbors I'm friendly with have an idea about someone on our floor. Also, I have had problems with someone on the second floor but I'm on the fourteenth, so it's doubtful she could make a case she was smelling pot coming from my apartment from that distance.

In any case, this has kind of freaked me out, I don't know why anyone would leave this sort of message at my door.

I called the police and they said "If you're not smoking pot in the hallway, it doesn't matter, just ignore it." So I guess I can smoke it in my apartment just not in the hallway :lol:

Even if they catch you smoking a joint in New York all you get is a court summons to prove you were actually smoking pot and it they find you guilty it's a maximum fine of $100. So I don't know what is going on!

Laserbeak
08-27-16, 02:36 PM
I forgot to mention I left this note, along with a copy of the original note taped next to the elevator bank on our floor:

To whomever wrote this:

I reported it to the police myself as harassment, as I do not smoke pot in hallway and never have.

Furthermore, I have no pot in my apartment either.

Any and all controlled substances in my apartment are legally prescribed and bought from New York State pharmacies.

If you continue to harass us, you may find yourself in Riker’s Island for harassment.

[My full name]
14E

(Unlike you, I’m not afraid to sign the paper with my name)

midnightstar
08-27-16, 02:41 PM
I hope they leave you alone Laser :grouphug:

spamspambacon
08-27-16, 02:55 PM
You go, boy!

Gotta wonder how they know what pot smells like, eh?

And what's with all the quotes? LMAO

peripatetic
08-27-16, 02:58 PM
Maybe it's cut off because the person made copies (poorly) and put one on each door on your floor...or even the whole building?

spamspambacon
08-27-16, 03:01 PM
Maybe it's cut off because the person made copies (poorly) and put one on each door on your floor...or even the whole building?

ROFL!

It would've been funny if it was written on rolling paper.

namazu
08-27-16, 04:45 PM

This was my thought, too. Do you know if others in your floor got the same note? EDIT: Except that it had your apartment number on it, which generic copies wouldn't -- unless that part was written in by hand. Very strange.

Also, for what it's worth, I would be cautious about advertising that you may have (legally-prescribed) controlled substances in your apartment...it may attract burglars.

Laserbeak
08-27-16, 05:01 PM
Also, for what it's worth, I would be cautious about advertising that you may have (legally-prescribed) controlled substances in your apartment...it may attract burglars.

Good point! But it is a doorman building, I live on an upper floor and I only posted it on this floor. It probably won't last long either, probably one of the workmen will take it down.

Plus, I have very good NYC-grade locks! :lol:

Laserbeak
08-27-16, 05:10 PM
The only thing that makes me think it could be someone on my floor is that I do roll my own cigarettes, and sometimes I run across the hall to the trash room or to a friend's apartment.

So maybe someone saw me with a hand-rolled cigarette and thought it was a joint? You'd think they'd be able to easily smell the difference though.

And it's not like I hang out smoking even cigarettes in the hallway. Why would I? And I certainly wouldn't hang out in the hallway smoking joints!

Hermus
08-27-16, 07:49 PM
Looks like written by someone who had a bit too much of the one or the other substance themselves.

Bluechoo
08-28-16, 12:24 PM
Is medical marijuana legal in New York, under state laws (I know it's federally illegal, and regarded under federal laws as illegal as far as this forum is concerned)?

I ask because here in CA, even though it's just medically legal, no one acts like this about it. I mean it's just so ubiquitous, no one would threaten to call cops on someone for smoking pot, and if anyone did, most people would just laugh it off.

I've known a few people to get caught smoking in public; all they got was a ticket, and whatever they had when they got caught was confiscated. It's rare to even be arrested if you get caught with a little bit, regardless of medical card.

psychopathetic
08-28-16, 12:44 PM
Is there any old people living in your appartments?

I have this one old lady who lives on the opposite end of my apartments who had it out for me for awhile. She too claimed I was smoking pot, and rose a bunch of hell about it with my landlord. She was also badgering me about using a parking space...she kept putting notes on my car every single day saying visitors needed to park in the street...I kept trying to explain I f'ing lived there and I deserve 1 f'ing spot in the lot >.<'

Turns out...she's super paranoid and does things like this to a lot of people. Not just pot and cars, but she's called the police a lot claiming other neighbors were breaking into her home, and how someone keyed her car, and her sister was trying to kill her, and on and on.

It's not her fault...I think she's just getting old and her brain isn't able to keep up with everything. She's fragile and alone and has some fears...I actually feel bad for her.

At any rate, that really sucks that someone is bugging you about this and left you a note like that. F'ing freaky!

I hope it'll just blows over for you. If push comes to shove, maybe your land lord will have to get involved. Hopefully he can figure out who's bugging you and get them to stop.

Laserbeak
08-28-16, 01:32 PM
We do have a medical marijuana policy here, but IIRC, it was implemented by the governor, not passed by the legislature (taking a cue from Obama I guess)... anyway it is the nation's strictest and you practically have to be on your deathbed then they'll give you an edible, you can't even smoke it, since that can be harmful to your lungs even though you're about to die anyway.

Meanwhile, you can go on craigslist and find a dozen guys willing to deliver it! :lol:

Makes no sense!

Is medical marijuana legal in New York, under state laws (I know it's federally illegal, and regarded under federal laws as illegal as far as this forum is concerned)?

I ask because here in CA, even though it's just medically legal, no one acts like this about it. I mean it's just so ubiquitous, no one would threaten to call cops on someone for smoking pot, and if anyone did, most people would just laugh it off.

I've known a few people to get caught smoking in public; all they got was a ticket, and whatever they had when they got caught was confiscated. It's rare to even be arrested if you get caught with a little bit, regardless of medical card.

sarahsweets
08-28-16, 03:36 PM
How about another note?
"to the person who claimed to smell pot in the hallway:
Stop trying to avoid criminal charges by blaming me for your secret stash."`

midnightstar
08-28-16, 03:38 PM
How about another not?

I actually giggled at that sarah, tried repping you but apparently I got to give other people more rep before I can rep you again :lol:

Joker_Girl
08-28-16, 04:48 PM
Try to figure out who it is, and then start anonymously messing with them, in ways that are subtle, within the limits of the law, and so if they say anything to anyone, they will look like lunatics.

Or, maybe not, if they're crazy and/or drunk/high.

Maybe this is their secret way of trying to figure out who they can get weed from in a pinch.

Laserbeak
08-28-16, 05:34 PM
How about another note?

Or "how about stop selling it to me then I'll stop!"

C15H25N3O
08-28-16, 09:12 PM
Haha. You also install a small chalk board "for dumb neighbors".

Laserbeak
08-29-16, 03:05 AM
Is there any old people living in your appartments?

Yes, all my suspects are old people who have been living here forever and are still under rent control. Now the building is a co-op, but those living here at the time that didn't want buy in to the co-op had be grandfathered in under New York City housing laws. They probably pay about 1/10th what their apartment's fair market value is.

sarahsweets
08-29-16, 04:56 AM
Or :
" to the person who smells pot in the hallway: Please share your MJ the next time you smoke it. Contact highs are no fun"

Fuzzy12
08-29-16, 05:04 AM
This was my thought, too. Do you know if others in your floor got the same note? EDIT: Except that it had your apartment number on it, which generic copies wouldn't -- unless that part was written in by hand. Very strange.

How freaky. And annoying.

I was going to say the same thing like namazu..haven't read the entire thread yet but I wanted to emphasise this point again.

You don't have to divulge any information about what you are taking. It's no one's business and legally or prescribed or not it's not something any of your neighbours need to know (especially not the dodgy note leaver ). It not only sounds a bit defensive but also as namazu said might attracts unwanted attention.

Laserbeak
08-29-16, 06:31 AM
I don't know of anyone else who received such a note, which makes me think it could have been that crazy woman on the second floor who, forgive the pun, would just be blowing smoke.

There's some old guy on this floor who causes a lot more problems than me with his wheelchair, he tears up the wallpaper in the halls and the paint on the elevator entrances and they have to be repaired all the time. I guess they can't do anything since he's disabled. Some people I'm friendly with have theorized it is him, but I never have had any problems with him and I'm quite friendly with his wife (or sister, or whomever it is he lives with).