View Full Version : Feeling depressed, again

anonymouslyadd
08-28-16, 05:52 PM
I'm at a crossroads. If I continue down the present track, I may or may not make a better life for myself. I haven't been utilized very well in my industry, and that is partly my fault. I don't make enough money to sustain myself.

I am now unafraid of asking for help. I am now unafraid of asking for things from people in general. I am now unafraid to ask for everything I need to survive. Maybe that was the purpose of everything I've gone through. Maybe it was meant to help me survive. It still hurts. I feel like I've failed.

I have studied and practiced becoming one of the best at what I do. It's still not good enough.
I have changed my whole life around. I compliment random people and call their managers when I see them doing a good job. I give before I receive and continue to give. I try to do what's right no matter what.

I moved across the country, made connections and worked my butt off. I've sacrificed the present for the future. I've sacrificed my social life for a better future.

I've done all I thought I could do to improve my lot in life. I went to school, incurring thousands of dollars worth of debt. I went back to school to try to learn a new trade and in the process found something else I really enjoyed. I paid for courses so that I could better understand my new found trade.

Little Missy
08-28-16, 06:19 PM
I believe it may be time for you to go west young man.

anonymouslyadd
08-28-16, 06:20 PM
I believe it may be time for you to go west young man.
But, in my industry, you have to have your own business in order to make a good living. I haven't done that. :(

Little Missy
08-28-16, 06:37 PM
But, in my industry, you have to have your own business in order to make a good living. I haven't done that. :(

Take a new picture. Ride a different bicycle. It is never too late!

Unmanagable
08-28-16, 11:35 PM
So what do the other tracks look like? Can you apply what you've learned to other things that are within reason and your reach?

sarahsweets
08-29-16, 04:16 AM
I am now unafraid of asking for help. I am now unafraid of asking for things from people in general. I am now unafraid to ask for everything I need to survive. Maybe that was the purpose of everything I've gone through. Maybe it was meant to help me survive. It still hurts. I feel like I've failed.
I think asking for help is the bravest thing you can do- and also the scariest. No one wants to feel like they cant be independent, or at least do it all on their own. You havent failed yet- failure would mean giving up and giving in to the depression. You have asked for what you need and this is very healthy and a good sign of healing. If we dont make our needs known, they will never be met.

TheFitFatty
08-29-16, 07:49 AM

Can you do that? What's keeping you from opening your own business? Is it something that you want to do?

If you're one of the best in your industry, than you should have some options open to you... The fact that you aren't afraid to ask for help could be good thing.

TygerSan
08-29-16, 08:53 AM
I feel for you. I'm sorry that I don't have any particular advice, but I do completely understand feeling lost and adrift with regards to making a living.

I am insanely lucky that my husband has a steady job, otherwise I would be exactly in your position. I have an advanced degree and no idea how to use it. The idea of having my own business and the responsibility that entails would scare the pants off of me. I don't really know what I'm saying anymore, but I just wanted to stop in and tell you that you're not alone. I hope you can figure things out soon.

anonymouslyadd
08-29-16, 10:47 PM
Can you do that? What's keeping you from opening your own business? Is it something that you want to do?

If you're one of the best in your industry, than you should have some options open to you... The fact that you aren't afraid to ask for help could be good thing.
I think I can, but I don't have much experience running my own business. I like the idea of working for myself.

TheFitFatty
08-30-16, 02:01 AM
I think I can, but I don't have much experience running my own business. I like the idea of working for myself.

I highly doubt most people who start running their own business have much experience with it. :o I would look into some online business courses (there are loads and you can probably do one fairly cheaply). Ask if you can observe some of the aspects like balancing the books at work, or even take more of a hand in the day to day operations. Start drafting a business plan, and really thinking about what would go into it (you'll need one to present to a bank for a small business loan).

It's a scary prospect! But exciting too! No need to be depressed but every reason to be nervous, anxious and optimistic! :D

aeon
08-30-16, 10:32 AM

Growth often feels like failure because it takes some time for a tendril to make strong roots, thrive, and flower.

So acknowledge how you feel, but donít sink into that. Recognize that in the sentences you posted above, you gave a very strong indication of your mental health.

Cheers,
Ian