View Full Version : 18 years and still not thinking

gdudee
08-29-16, 12:24 AM
I have debilitating brain fog. It's not a term I like to use because it's not even a lack of clarity. It's not like I have dimentia. It's more like it seems I have no thoughts. Sure, I can type neatly but it takes a real long time to do it. As I type this, I have no direction as to what to think and how to say it. I've always felt more comfortable in small groups of people growing up but when I realized the vulnerability of my lack of natural thoughts at my disposal, I found it way less stressful to just do things alone in school. When I read anything or study, absolutely none of it is retained. Along with not being able to process it, I can't rephrase it or connect any ideas with it whatsoever... I've spent the last five summers alone, I'd be on the occasional soccer or baseball team, things I was passionate for, but even in these settings I lacked social connection. Fast forward through my adolescence and now going to college, I'm just at a total loss of intuition. The best way I can describe it is just seeing things as they are and nothing more. I don't have the capabilities of looking beyond the physical dimension... I would really appreciate any kind of feedback, some simple encouragement would mean a lot to me. If you can relate to this, please message me! Make me convinced I'm not the only one who lives in such an extreme.

Toss4n
08-29-16, 03:17 AM
I have debilitating brain fog. It's not a term I like to use because it's not even a lack of clarity. It's not like I have dimentia. It's more like it seems I have no thoughts. Sure, I can type neatly but it takes a real long time to do it. As I type this, I have no direction as to what to think and how to say it. I've always felt more comfortable in small groups of people growing up but when I realized the vulnerability of my lack of natural thoughts at my disposal, I found it way less stressful to just do things alone in school. When I read anything or study, absolutely none of it is retained. Along with not being able to process it, I can't rephrase it or connect any ideas with it whatsoever... I've spent the last five summers alone, I'd be on the occasional soccer or baseball team, things I was passionate for, but even in these settings I lacked social connection. Fast forward through my adolescence and now going to college, I'm just at a total loss of intuition. The best way I can describe it is just seeing things as they are and nothing more. I don't have the capabilities of looking beyond the physical dimension... I would really appreciate any kind of feedback, some simple encouragement would mean a lot to me. If you can relate to this, please message me! Make me convinced I'm not the only one who lives in such an extreme.

I can definitely relate. I feel the exact same way and have most of my life. Think it is partly because of ADHD and partly because of anxiety, that has turned into some kind of dysthymia/anhedonia. If you constantly feel anxious you start avoiding emotions, which basically causes a disassociation with reality which in turn leads to brain fog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization#cite_note-9).

Now there are different types of brain fog, as some stem from a lack of some important minerals, vitamins or nutrients, but most I would say are rooted in anxiety. Best way to overcome it is to overcome the anxiety/self-doubt, and this is no easy task, along with taking some supplements (check guides on methylation).

Since I started my medication for my ADHD the brain fog has begun to lift, but I still suffer from anxiety which immediately causes my brain to go full stop, and the brain fog sets in. Going to ask my Dr. tomorrow for some help regarding the anxiety and to see if some buspar would maybe make a difference (hate the feeling you get from benzos even on the lowest possible dosage).

But know that you are not alone in this, and that it is usually solvable - it just takes time to find out what works for you!

sarahsweets
08-29-16, 04:28 AM

Is this something that upsets you? Some people are just comfortable with doing things on their own. I am not saying you are a loner per se, but you might be one of the lucky ones who are able to see things as they are without the nagging feeling of being wrong. And I get it when you say small groups are easier for you and preferred. I think a lot of us feel that way. But it is extreme and I feel like you are missing out on some important human connections. I dont know how to advise you to make those connections but I wanted you to know you are not alone.