View Full Version : Why using the Meyers Briggs test for anything is a terrible idea.

sarahsweets
08-29-16, 08:53 AM
https://theconversation.com/why-using-myers-briggs-at-work-might-be-a-terrible-idea-mbti-31178
I thought this article summed up what the test actually demonstrates and why using it for anything official is not useful.

aeon
08-29-16, 02:23 PM
Yep...it is interesting, to be sure, but it has never been scientifically validated.

Then again, nor have human experiences like falling in love, for what that is worth.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-29-16, 04:57 PM
Good God, when I just even read that name it makes me irate. The wordplay, inferences where the answer can be interpreted any way whomever wishes, the pointedly obtuse, oh, I could go on and on. :eyebrow:

I would be seriously upset if anyone actually bought any of that mess to attach onto anyone.

psychopathetic
08-29-16, 05:10 PM
I like personality tests like these. I don't take them all that serious though...they're more just something 'fun' to me.

aeon
08-29-16, 05:40 PM
I’m ENFP, by the way.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-29-16, 06:14 PM
Iím ENFP, by the way.

Cheers,
Ian

My fave!:D

Lunacie
08-29-16, 06:19 PM
Iím ENFP, by the way.

Cheers,
Ian

I don't know what I am with this test. Don't want to know.

Little Missy
08-29-16, 06:55 PM
Good God, when I just even read that name it makes me irate. The wordplay, inferences where the answer can be interpreted any way whomever wishes, the pointedly obtuse, oh, I could go on and on. :eyebrow:

I would be seriously upset if anyone actually bought any of that mess to attach onto anyone.

now wait...I'm thinking of the really long test, not the letters thing.

namazu
08-29-16, 07:15 PM
now wait...I'm thinking of the really long test, not the letters thing.

Maybe the MMPI? Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory) ...Where they ask you the same thing 5 different ways, and it's always with ambiguous wording, and it forces a binary choice, and then tells you how much you dislike psychologists? ;)

I never liked that one, either!

The MBTI is the one that gives an (apparently-not-particularly-well-supported) estimate of your levels of "introversion" vs. "extroversion" (I vs. E), "intuition" vs. "sensing" (N vs. S), "thinking" vs. "feeling" (T vs. F) and "perceiving" vs. "judging" (P vs. J), which is where the letters come from.

BellaVita
08-29-16, 07:27 PM
The people who wrote this article clearly have no deep insight into MBTI.

For example....who the heck takes 4 letters and only looks at themselves in the black-and-white extreme way of those letters?

Also, tests are often useless. That's often why people come up with different letters each test. If they actually read about the cognitive functions(function orders) they'd see why the test is kind of lame.

Also - the article claims things in MBTI aren't on a continuum. Again, the authors show their lack of insight. For example, you can score for INFP:

I - 89%
N - 67%
F - 23%
P - 1%

It's not all black-and-white.

MBTI has actually worked quite well for me personally with self-development. For example, learning about the tertiary loops. Learning about that was an eye-opener for me. It helped me to develop into a more rational, logical person and helped me catch myself whenever I fell into one of those tertiary loops.

And - of course it shouldn't be used when getting interviewed for a job etc! That is discriminatory and often people don't know how to answer the test questions accurately/lie on the questions.

It's not scientific, of course not. But it has been a reliable and helpful tool for me. And the trend I always see with these sorts of articles, is that the authors clearly know nothing more than "oh it's four letters and there's a test" about MBTI and honestly they sound rather silly when it is obvious they haven't deeply studied it.

Little Missy
08-29-16, 09:05 PM
Maybe the MMPI? Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory) ...Where they ask you the same thing 5 different ways, and it's always with ambiguous wording, and it forces a binary choice, and then tells you how much you dislike psychologists? ;)

I never liked that one, either!

YES! Thank you! That's the one. :eyebrow:

sarahsweets
08-30-16, 04:17 AM
I am xyzw. ;)
Seriously though, I would love to take a reliable one to see whats what. So far the online ones have been too ambiguous.

Cyllya
08-30-16, 06:37 AM
(Disclaimer: Have not actually read the article yet.)

Ugh, I like the MBTI, but the idea of people using it to make hiring decisions ticks me off. It's only one notch down on the stupidometer from using something like blood type or astrological sign.

The point of personality category labels (MBTI and others) is to provide language to discuss personality differences and thus learn about them, which is important for interpersonal relationships and self-development. It could be useful in a professional context for improving relations/communication amongst coworkers, and using a system that has relatively non-judgmental language (e.g. MBTI rather than Big Five) is probably better for that. But using it for choosing amongst people for jobs or promotions is just several different kinds of horrible.

Yep...it is interesting, to be sure, but it has never been scientifically validated.

Then again, nor have human experiences like falling in love, for what that is worth.

Cheers,
Ian
The MBTI is the one that gives an (apparently-not-particularly-well-supported) estimate of your levels of "introversion" vs. "extroversion" (I vs. E), "intuition" vs. "sensing" (N vs. S), "thinking" vs. "feeling" (T vs. F) and "perceiving" vs. "judging" (P vs. J), which is where the letters come from.

What would being scientifically validated mean for a personality test or personality categorization system? If it would refer to the test being confirmed as an accurate determinant of the correct four-letter label, how would that be assessed? You'd have to find some other personality test which gives the same kind of label, and then check whether they match, but that would only work if the comparison test was validated first.

I am xyzw. ;)
Seriously though, I would love to take a reliable one to see whats what. So far the online ones have been too ambiguous.

The actual test made by Briggs and Meyers isn't available for free. They have it online, but they charge you money to take it.

I think I heard that the manual for the official test says it's about 70% accurate. If that's the best they could get after all their years of research, I doubt the free knockoffs are going to do any better.

I'm not sure, but I get the impression that the final determination of the label is made by how much a person identifies with the description of each category, and the test is more of a starting point? The free ones are probably good enough if you're taking it for fun or curiosity. (I actually saw one website that, instead of a test, had a picture of 16 different-colored triangles. Each one linked to a page with type label description.)

aeon
08-30-16, 10:40 AM
I think the following test is well done:

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Note, I have taken the test there, but I have no comment on, or link to, the members area.

Cheers,
Ian