View Full Version : Adderall IR vs XR

ADHDWife&Mom
08-29-16, 08:56 PM
My son has been taking Adderall XR (generic) for about a month now. He started low and has gotten to 15mg. This is the first dosage that we noticed any sort of effects. He started out with some aggressive issues but it seems to have leveled off now that he has been on it for almost 2 weeks. At first he noticed a HUGE difference at school in his ability to concentrate. The first few days were good. Then we noticed that he really doesnt seem to be able to focus at all in the afternoons. His immediate dose part seems to help a lot but the part that is supposed to kick in around lunchtime doesnt seem to do anything for him. We have records of his work over the last week and a half showing him getting lots of work done in the morning and then almost nothing after lunch.
His teacher mentioned that her son and some other students of hers have had better luck with Adderall IR with a dose in the morning and another after lunch. She says it helps allow the child to eat better as well since the meds wear off before lunch. We havent had any issues with him eating at all. I have noticed that he has had a little bit of problems going to bed at night now. He has always been a really good sleeper so this is not great.

We go back to the doc next week and Im thinking about having him try IR with two doses rather than XR. Also, Im thinking he might need to up his total dosage because it seems like maybe he could use just a little more. I was thinking maybe since he is on 15mg XR that he could switch to two 10mg doses which would bring him up to 20mg total. Is that right? The XR dosage is the total right?
Thanks for any advice

Cyllya
08-30-16, 03:45 AM
It's worth a shot.

Adderall XR is supposed to be the equivalent of two half-size doses taken four hours apart, so 15mg Adderall XR would like taking 7.5mg now and 7.5mg four hours later. (I'm not sure how often it actually achieves that result, but that's what it's supposed to be.) It seems some people have issues with XR because Adderall wears off faster for them so they end up in a daily roller coaster of effect, withdrawal effect, effect, withdrawal effect...

Also, Adderall XR seems pretty fickle in how it's affected by food. It's been studied enough to know that it's a real problem but not enough to know how to avoid the problem. It's something to do with the specific extended release mechanism Adderall uses, so it doesn't apply to Adderal IR or to other ER drugs like Concerta.

sarahsweets
08-30-16, 03:54 AM
Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 6 or 8 hours but I get about 4-5 so I take it 3x a day.I think the IR would be a good choice because he needs coverage after lunch. The only med that is promoted to last more than that and supposedly all day is vyvanse-but I have never met anyone that gets all day coverage from that either. I think having him take a dose at school if you switch to IR would be a good idea.

ADHDWife&Mom
08-30-16, 10:54 AM
Thanks. Its nice to hear that my plan sounds ok before I bring it to the doc.

The doc keeps insisting that the extended release last all day. He said Adderall XR should last until 5pm and Vyvanse would last until 8pm (all while taking it at 7am). First, DS takes his at 8am and it seems like it works fine until he comes back from lunch so somewhere between 3.5-4.5hrs (i cant really tell if its working during lunch and recess and I dont really care if its not). When he comes back from lunch/recess he cant focus at all. So for the last 3.5hrs of school he is unable to get much done.

sarahsweets
08-31-16, 04:48 AM
Thanks. Its nice to hear that my plan sounds ok before I bring it to the doc.

The doc keeps insisting that the extended release last all day. He said Adderall XR should last until 5pm and Vyvanse would last until 8pm (all while taking it at 7am). First, DS takes his at 8am and it seems like it works fine until he comes back from lunch so somewhere between 3.5-4.5hrs (i cant really tell if its working during lunch and recess and I dont really care if its not). When he comes back from lunch/recess he cant focus at all. So for the last 3.5hrs of school he is unable to get much done.

Your doctor is blatantly wrong and would make me a little nervous. Adderall xr when it works perfectly is like takin 2 doses four hours apart. So if you take 20mg xr at 7am, it would be like taking 10mg at 7 and 10mg 11. So when it works perfectly (which it never does for most) by three it would be gone.
Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 6-8 hours and regarding vyvanse- I have yet to meet a single person that had it last for the whole 12 hours.
I have to take my xr multiple times a day.
Your doc isnt even taking into account that your son's body could be different, or that children metabolize medication differently.

ADHDWife&Mom
08-31-16, 09:04 PM
Your doctor is blatantly wrong and would make me a little nervous. Adderall xr when it works perfectly is like takin 2 doses four hours apart. So if you take 20mg xr at 7am, it would be like taking 10mg at 7 and 10mg 11. So when it works perfectly (which it never does for most) by three it would be gone.
Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 6-8 hours and regarding vyvanse- I have yet to meet a single person that had it last for the whole 12 hours.
I have to take my xr multiple times a day.
Your doc isnt even taking into account that your son's body could be different, or that children metabolize medication differently.

Yeah, Im really not a fan of this doctor. Im looking for alternatives but our insurance is causing us some issues.

Mark R. F.
09-01-16, 12:31 AM
Just don't assume shoving medicine down his throat will change everything. He needs to find what he's really interested in and pursue it. Help him.

sarahsweets
09-02-16, 05:15 AM
Just don't assume shoving medicine down his throat will change everything. He needs to find what he's really interested in and pursue it. Help him.

This was completely rude, unhelpful and unsupportive.