View Full Version : What has been your experience with vyvanse?

italianstallion
08-30-16, 03:36 PM
I'm trying to get a better understanding of vyvanse. When I was first prescribed vyvanse about a year ago I had a great reaction to it. It helped me in every way that I always struggled: with motivation, confidence, the ability to finally focus and be excited to learn in school etc. My first semester taking it I got straight As, up from about a 2.9GPA the year before. I was driven in a good way and felt that I had a lot of energy, for the first time in my life. My doc said I had ADHD and social anxiety and it would help with both. It definitely did.

However, now a year later I have just started a new semester after not taking vyvanse for the whole summer, about 3 months. I've just started my second week of classes and am having mixed feelings about whether the vyvanse is helping/working properly. The first week I had a lot of difficulty concentrating in class and being motivated or even able to get my assignments done. I felt like what I was reading was not being absorbed and had to keep rereading. I had trouble speaking almost, knowing what I wanted to say but I couldn't get the words out in a sentence almost. I had very bad anxiety and just wanted to stay in bed and do nothing. This week seems a little better so far, but I still can't tell if the vyvanse is really working. I can feel myself spacing in and out during class constantly. Should I be able to stay focused for 50 minutes straight or an hour and 15 minutes during lectures?

I'm not sure if these are just temporary things while I get back into the swing of things that will fade away. I am currently taking 50mg vyvanse. Last year the highest doses I had been prescribed were 60mg and 70mg.

Sorry that I'm rambling on here and I know I've made similar posts before but I still don't fully understand. Is it normal to have great results in the beginning that slowly start to decline to a realistic point? Is it realistic to expect I will be able to continue to get great grades and be motivated all the time? I finally thought I had figured it all out last year and for once was confident and felt like I knew where I wanted to go with my life, but now I feel like I'm back to my old non-medicated self. A lot of the time I have been spacing out has been me just thinking about whether the vyvanse is working or not, so I don't know if I'm just giving myself anxiety or the vyvanse is making my anxiety worse.

Is going straight to 50mg after a 3 month med break to high of a dose to start with maybe? Does vyvanse really do anything besides help with concentration, like were my feelings of confidence and having the energy and motivation to finally do things just a temporary feeling in the beginning that doesn't last? I know a lot of people talk about a "euphoric" or "honeymoon" period, how long would that typically last and then what can you actually expect the vyvanse to do for you?

aeon
08-30-16, 04:12 PM
I thought Vyvanse was a wonderful drug (it is dextroamphetamine sulfate, after all!), but a very weak one given its usual prescribed dosages, so it was unsuitable for me in the dosages that could be prescribed or that I could afford.

If I could take 150-180mg of Vyvanse per day, it would work for me. I can’t, so it doesn’t.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
08-30-16, 07:09 PM
Did you really want to or stay in bed on Vyvanse? Personally I would take a break and let my doctor have a look at me without taking medication 1-2 weeks.

"Spacing in and out" could also be a to high dosage.

To get a better understanding of Vyvanse you have to self-reflect it.

Do you have any recreational activities? ADHD is not only treated by meds but also by life.

Do you take Vyvanse for better grades or for ADHD-symptoms?

Personally i am convinced it is better not to take it every day, to have breaks and check sometimes how I feel without Vyvanse.

If I have a break I start with the same dosage I had before. I dont wanna have this adjustment stress again.

italianstallion
08-30-16, 10:49 PM
For the first few days it gave me very bad anxiety to the point where I didn't want to leave my room or have to talk to anyone, but that improved. As far as energy I feel the same as when I'm not taking vyvanse so far. Spacing in and out in class keeps happening. I take it for better quality of life as my doc prescribed it to help with my symptoms. The hard part about taking breaks and having the doc reevaluate is that I am away at college and can't really afford to take a week or two to do nothing. I try to stay physically active, but it is difficult when I feel tired/fatigued/no energy all the time. As far as doing assignments, I can focus on the reading once I sit down and get started but I haven't felt the motivation/drive I mentioned from last year. However in class I keep spacing in and out, I can't tell if it's how I would be if I wasn't taking vyvanse or if it is still a little better with the vyvanse, I guess I could try to take a couple days where I don't take the vyvanse and see if there is a difference in class. The way I have been feeling seems pretty close to how I was before I was prescribed vyvanse: procrastinating, inability to focus, no motivation or drive etc. just seemingly lazy all the time.

Also another thing is I feel like it is actually making my anxiety worse at times, especially social anxiety.

sarahsweets
08-31-16, 04:19 AM
However, now a year later I have just started a new semester after not taking vyvanse for the whole summer, about 3 months. I've just started my second week of classes and am having mixed feelings about whether the vyvanse is helping/working properly. The first week I had a lot of difficulty concentrating in class and being motivated or even able to get my assignments done. I felt like what I was reading was not being absorbed and had to keep rereading. I had trouble speaking almost, knowing what I wanted to say but I couldn't get the words out in a sentence almost. I had very bad anxiety and just wanted to stay in bed and do nothing. This week seems a little better so far, but I still can't tell if the vyvanse is really working. I can feel myself spacing in and out during class constantly. Should I be able to stay focused for 50 minutes straight or an hour and 15 minutes during lectures?

Sometimes our bodies just-change. No reason for it, other than it just does. So what used to work, might not work now. Personally I feel vyvanse is over-rated and overprescribed. It seems that doctors love prescribing it because it has a low abuse potential but I have yet to meet someone who gets all day coverage out of one dose of vyvanse.

I'm not sure if these are just temporary things while I get back into the swing of things that will fade away. I am currently taking 50mg vyvanse. Last year the highest doses I had been prescribed were 60mg and 70mg.

Stimulants are great because you know right away if they work. They dont need to build up in your system and you shouldnt have to wait to long to see if they suit you.

Sorry that I'm rambling on here and I know I've made similar posts before but I still don't fully understand. Is it normal to have great results in the beginning that slowly start to decline to a realistic point? Is it realistic to expect I will be able to continue to get great grades and be motivated all the time? I finally thought I had figured it all out last year and for once was confident and felt like I knew where I wanted to go with my life, but now I feel like I'm back to my old non-medicated self. A lot of the time I have been spacing out has been me just thinking about whether the vyvanse is working or not, so I don't know if I'm just giving myself anxiety or the vyvanse is making my anxiety worse.

I think its fair to expect a decent amount of focus and consistent coverage. It isnt realistic for that to last all day, and be perfect. You shouldnt feel undermedicated and have all the side effects you mentioned IMO.

Is going straight to 50mg after a 3 month med break to high of a dose to start with maybe? Does vyvanse really do anything besides help with concentration, like were my feelings of confidence and having the energy and motivation to finally do things just a temporary feeling in the beginning that doesn't last? I know a lot of people talk about a "euphoric" or "honeymoon" period, how long would that typically last and then what can you actually expect the vyvanse to do for you?
If you were on a higher dose previously then it makes sense you would want the same dose again because it worked.
The euphoria should only last a few days and as long as you dont chase that, things settle down.
I would consider a different amphetamine.

italianstallion
08-31-16, 02:11 PM
Today things improved, I was able to focus better. I think the problem was it was just giving me so much anxiety and that's what was causing me to space out because I couldn't stop worrying that it wasn't working etc but the anxiety seems to be subsiding.

I think you are right, something that is stronger and lasts for a shorter duration that I could take multiple times a day if needed might be better for me, I will talk to my doctor.

Do vyvanse and adderrall have the same effect except that adderrall is stronger for a shorter period of time? Would I be able to take an adderrall in the morning to help me with classes and then later in the day if I have work to do?

I also have evekeo which my doctor said is similar to adderrall but it is only 10mg, I have used it on days that I only need a few hours of focus.

pedalpounder
08-31-16, 03:21 PM
I used Vyvanse for 3-6 months, then reverted back to Adderall XR. It had worse side effects (sleep mostly) and worse therapeutic effects for me. 60 vyvanse vs 20 XR

italianstallion
08-31-16, 07:50 PM
What I'm noticing now is that it is giving me a sort of social mental block. I can't find the words to say to people, even people I am close with. It's making me anti-social and unable to have a conversation with friends. I've always been shy and struggled around people I don't know but I feel like I am not even myself around people I do know now.. Is this a sign that my dosage could be off or should this improve with time? I have been back on vyvanse for almost 2 weeks, excluding the weekend.

C15H25N3O
08-31-16, 08:56 PM
What kind of ADHD are you diagnosed and what did you find out in therapy about your ADHD?

I mean ADD, ADHD, PH, PI? If you are clearly one type treatment is easier. If you are jumping you have to tolerate differences in effectiveness or need some training for better control of the med.

italianstallion
09-05-16, 04:33 PM
What kind of ADHD are you diagnosed and what did you find out in therapy about your ADHD?

I mean ADD, ADHD, PH, PI? If you are clearly one type treatment is easier. If you are jumping you have to tolerate differences in effectiveness or need some training for better control of the med.

I'll be honest I am not entirely sure and am still trying to figure that out. I felt like I was just ADD PI because I am for the most part always low energy, no drive to do anything that requires real focus etc. But as I am starting to learn more I do notice that my mind is always racing with random thoughts etc. so I'm not sure if this is hyperactivity or that strictly relates to physical functions?

When I am not taking medication I will put off my real tasks like studying/doing assignments for anything at all- I could procrastinate an entire day by just looking at my phone doing random nonsense etc. I think that that's exactly what it is though, I subconsciously am only interested in the things that are more stimulating vs. boring sitting down and actually getting my work done. So I'm not sure if this is a mixture of the two, or it is still just a result of PI.

My friends always have to wait for me because I'll procrastinate getting ready the same way just by doing anything except for what I actually have to do. I'll have plenty of time but waste most of it looking at random things on my phone etc. instead of just getting out of bed and taking the 10 minutes it would actually take to get ready before I do things that can wait until a later time. I guess this is an issue with prioritization.