View Full Version : Quick question about Ritalin LA dosage

addthrow51
08-30-16, 10:16 PM
Hey there, I've been diagnosed a few months back with ADD, and have been taking Ritalin LA since around February of this year.
I started with 20mg of Ritalin LA, and my psychiatrist upped me to 30mg LA around June. There was definitely a difference, and it seemed to last longer as far as I remember.

However, I'm just wondering, should I consider going even higher, to 40mg? I've been thinking about that because, while I've been satisfied with the results, it sometimes seems to act weirdly during the day.

For example, let's say I take it at 6pm. Around 7pm I'll feel great, really happy (if that's the right word) and ready to do anything I want. However, maybe around 2 hours after that, I feel like I've lost some or most of my "energy", and while I can focus on stuff better than off meds, I really like the happy feeling I get.

It doesn't end there however. Going from the same example, usually around 11pm (maybe, it's pretty random I think) I get a slight "energy" boost again, which usually lasts to around 2am, and ocasionally even longer than that.

Also, while I'm at it I'd like to ask, does what I eat and when I eat influence the effectiveness and duration of Ritalin LA? I try to always eat around 3 hours after each meal, but sometimes I forget about it and eat after 4 hours or something like that.

sarahsweets
08-31-16, 04:23 AM
For example, let's say I take it at 6pm. Around 7pm I'll feel great, really happy (if that's the right word) and ready to do anything I want. However, maybe around 2 hours after that, I feel like I've lost some or most of my "energy", and while I can focus on stuff better than off meds, I really like the happy feeling I get.
Sometimes long acting meds do not work for everyone the way they are marketed. I take adderall xr and its supposed to last 6-8 hours but I get about 4 or 5.

It doesn't end there however. Going from the same example, usually around 11pm (maybe, it's pretty random I think) I get a slight "energy" boost again, which usually lasts to around 2am, and ocasionally even longer than that.
This sounds like your body and the mechanism of action dont agree with each other.

Also, while I'm at it I'd like to ask, does what I eat and when I eat influence the effectiveness and duration of Ritalin LA? I try to always eat around 3 hours after each meal, but sometimes I forget about it and eat after 4 hours or something like that.
I dont know the answer to this but dont obsess over it. The food part would be so minimal if it did, compared to all of the other issues affecting it.

C15H25N3O
09-02-16, 04:48 AM
Food has a small influence on Ritalin but you should have breakfast.

You should eat healthy and if you feel weak you should try some carbs like banana, bread or everything you like.

Try some sugar or sweeties if you ever experience some headaches.

If you take some magnesium it helps in effectiveness in most cases.

The lack of energy depends on the release-mechanism. You need a sooner second release.

Everything you write sounds like you should use simple and classic Ritalin with immediate release.

Tell your doctor what you told us and ask for Ritalin IR.

If the lack of energy shows up just take another dose and everything is good after about 5-10 minutes and exercise the timing of the second intake to get rid off energys lack.

sherrymeeks
09-02-16, 06:31 AM
That way, it can be done.